Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Samsonite amenity kits in F?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
And yes, it is disappointing. Although the new UA Global First amenities are largely unbranded (with the exception of the Philosophy branded creams/etc), the overall quality and content of the kit is far superior to the NH F kit.

I never thought I'd say anything from UA was better than anything from NH in an "equivalent" class of service. Yikes.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:57 pm

Actually that has been my most useful amenity kit bag yet...I keep my ipad in it and it works great!
Old Jan 18, 2013, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by O Sora
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/miyukijl/36315081.html

I am planning a longhaul F award on NH. But when I saw this blog, I got discouraged by amenity kit quality. It looks almost the same as the one on shorthaul C. The blog was written in Jan. 2011. Is this still the case?
Or do a search on NH's website ? Look at the photo where it said Amenity goods

http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/asw_co...ide/f/amenity/

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
On 01:10 departure from HND to FRA, each C pax receives an IOJ-themed cloth bag containing a few items.

Was the amenity basket still available at the bar area inflight though ? It is missing handcreme packet and comb.

I have seen this bag thing with a few items from the amenity basket first show up on the redeye HND-LAX in C (NRT-BOM on the 737BBJ always have a real kit in a zipper bag since the route started, and it is the only route with a real kit), I guess they are now spreading to other routes. It is a good idea they have that drawstring bag to put the items in, rather than nowhere to stuff.

Originally Posted by ainternational
And yes, it is disappointing. Although the new UA Global First amenities are largely unbranded (with the exception of the Philosophy branded creams/etc), the overall quality and content of the kit is far superior to the NH F kit.

I never thought I'd say anything from UA was better than anything from NH in an "equivalent" class of service. Yikes.
+1

UA's current F kit is actually even better than CX's F kit believe or not. Not to mention UA is still able to provide mouthwash bottle, whereas CX is tiny little one time use disposable cup !

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jan 18, 2013 at 7:51 pm
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Thanks everyone. The kits look not so bad as those in 2011.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 5:15 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Was the amenity basket still available at the bar area inflight though ? It is missing handcreme packet and comb.

I have seen this bag thing with a few items from the amenity basket first show up on the redeye HND-LAX in C (NRT-BOM on the 737BBJ always have a real kit in a zipper bag since the route started, and it is the only route with a real kit), I guess they are now spreading to other routes. It is a good idea they have that drawstring bag to put the items in, rather than nowhere to stuff.
I've flown FRA-TYO return in C twice in the last 6 months (1x77W, 3x787) and didn't even know about the bar area or the amenity basket. The drawstring bag was only available on the redeye 787 flight from HND to FRA. I didn't see any hand cream or comb probably because I didn't check the amenity basket but face/body wipes, mouth wash and additional tooth brushes could be found on the shelf in the toilet.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Originally Posted by onebagtraveller
Actually that has been my most useful amenity kit bag yet...I keep my ipad in it and it works great!
AA's new amenity kit is intended to be a tablet case.
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/aadvan...-premium-clas/

Which looks better?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR

Which looks better?
This look far better than the NH kit from my end. And inifirely better tban the old Thanh one. About on par with the UA GF kit with a slight edge to the tablet reusability assuming your tablet fits well. I assume it's measured for a recent iPad?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 5:32 pm

Which looks better?

Not liking the design so much on the AA one but it definitely has more padding for an ipad.

I'm comparing to the older NH kit that had drawstrings in a rich dark navy color.

I have never used the Thann ones after a flight.

Will have a look at the new Samsonite one in a few weeks.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 9:55 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ainternational

IFE too?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
IFE too?
Toss up in my book. NH screen is larger in F than UA GF, but I find the programming selection and IFE interface better on UA. No big delta either way from my end...
Old Jan 26, 2013, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IFE too?
Let's put it this way, if you are an American or used to US sitcoms, you would definately like UA's IFE much better than NH.

NH's IFE is more suit for Japanese, as there are tons of Japanese movies, dramas, and game shows, sort of like CX's IFE are pack with Hong Kong's programming.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jan 26, 2013 at 2:10 pm
Old Jan 26, 2013, 2:20 pm

Let's put it this way, if you are an American or used to US sitcoms, you would definately like UA's IFE much better than NH.

NH's IFE is more suit for Japanese, as there are tons of Japanese movies, dramas, and game shows, sort of like CX's IFE are pack with Hong Kong's programming.
Totally agree. After my fourth TPAC segment in 4 weeks, I had pretty much watched everything in English. And I certainly didn't need another amenity kit....

Last edited by ainternational; Jan 26, 2013 at 6:47 pm
Old Jan 28, 2013, 3:01 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I was being a bit sarcastic; indeed NH's IFE is much more suited for the Japanese, an UA for those from the US. They can't (rather, don't) all offer anything like what EK has, though that airline is in a world of its own, with IFE options suited for its "intended" demographic- anyone!

After flying in F with NH last week, I'm not sure if I'd do it again, if UA for example was also on the same route. I understand Japanese pretty well, but NH's English offerings have been abysmal, clearly vetted just from an employee clicking on the "random wiki link of the day." That their screen is bigger than UA's doesn't mean UA lacks a big screen, so that's a non-issue.

And no, reading a book is not how I pass time onboard. Magazine and newspapers are taken from lounges specifically for boarding and the descent, otherwise it would be too distracting to have a book. Speaking with FAs is another method to kill time, though it's certainly not a category in which US-flag carrier FAs are too enthusiastic about...
Old Jan 29, 2013, 2:59 am

Another Thanh bag on NH7 today. Seems the supply hasn't run out yet.

F was 7/8 which I attribute to the 787 being offline...
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Speaking with FAs is another method to kill time, though it's certainly not a category in which US-flag carrier FAs are too enthusiastic about...
Actually US-flag carrier FA are more enthusiastic to talk and also more genuine than many other non-US carriers, particular to PMUA FAs. And this is not only to PMUA FAs, but it also extends to PMUA pilots and RCC agents.

When many FAs from asian carriers can provide excellent service, while some can hold a conversation, but definately not to in depth level that many PMUA FAs able to provide, I have known a few PMUA actually became lifelong friends. And many of those when you flew on the same flights they worked, they actually remembered you from previous flights. While other non-US carriers, I have a few that we talked basically for almost entire 10+ hours flight, like one SQ FA while I flew SFO-HKG, and one OZ FA while I flew ICN-ORD, it is like once you got off the plane, they immediately erase you in their books.

Then some non-US carriers FAs would even go to the length that ask (force) me to write comment letters if they had talked to me, it is like they are some kind of salesman desperately want some recommendation letters to get promoted, since they had used their own time to talk to me even I am bored, they thought they had done me a favor, and they want me to return it. This had happened to me multiple times on multiple asian carriers. No PMUA FAs ever asked me to do that.

There are other PMUA crews that work at RCC or Captains even well known to FTers and even well known to the company and public, like Annie from SYD RCC and Captain Fannigan, you would never seen such things for non-US carriers.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jan 30, 2013 at 12:19 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.