Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Frustration with ANA seat selection on codeshares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2007, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver

This is not the first time I encounter this problem with ANA flights booked as code-share (UA).

I have a booking on an ANA flight booked under a code-share number.
If I call ANA to get seats assignment, they keep telling me that because it is under a non-ANA number, I need to contact the other airline.
Of course, as anybody would expect, the other airline cannot assign seats and says to contact ANA.

Does anybody know a trick to break this unhelpful cycle?

PS: I have the ANA booking reference, but the online tool says: *Selected reservation cannot be displayed through the Internet.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
I had just booked a trip on UA ORD-NRT-HKG, of course as everyone knows NRT-HKG is on NH(NQ) codeshare, seats cannot select when I make the reservation on UA, but after I purchase it (on UA website), it automatically assign me the seats on both segment for NRT-HKG-NRT. And I have no idea why both segments I got 31D on the 763.

I called UA, and the agent is able to change it to aisle instead 34F. I asked if it is possible to get the seats closer to the front, was told as UA codeshare, UA only purchase the seats between row 31 to 35 in Y on the 763, any other seats can only assign at the gate. I am also able to ask the agent to put me on request for window.

Therefore, to your answer, yes, UA is able to assign the seats on NH, they can't do that only if those rows of seats that UA had purchased had already filled up, but other Y seats are still available for purchase. And NH for sure cannot access any PNR code from UA, even you are on that NH flight.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Nov 29, 2007 at 3:13 pm
Old Nov 30, 2007, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
I am in F and in this case, nothing is moving as I am sure none of the code-sharing airlines buy specific seats in F.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
I am in F and in this case, nothing is moving as I am sure none of the code-sharing airlines buy specific seats in F.
Not sure about F, but if UA purchase specific rows in Y, I bet UA also buy specific rows in F and C. I didn't find out about this situation until one of the agent on the phone volunteer this information, nowhere mention UA can only get those specific seats on codeshare.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 11:58 pm

Programs: AC.SE
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
...if UA purchase specific rows in Y, I bet UA also buy specific rows in F and C.
Aren't there only two rows in F (I'm assuming ORD-NRT is a 777)? I admit I don't know anything about how airlines obtain seats, but it seems strange to me that UA would buy (or NH would sell) half the seats in the F cabin.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ylwae
Aren't there only two rows in F (I'm assuming ORD-NRT is a 777)? I admit I don't know anything about how airlines obtain seats, but it seems strange to me that UA would buy (or NH would sell) half the seats in the F cabin.
Yes, there are only two rows and 8 seats. I agree it makes no sense.
NH telling me to call UA makes no more sense either.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 6:27 am
MCT

DeltaFlyingProf,

Please check your PM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.