NRT stopover/layover

Old Oct 21, 2004, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
NRT stopover/layover

Thanks again to all of you for all of the helpful info in these forums... you have made the planning of my trip much easier.

We are planning a trip to BKK from LAX on NH. We plan to stopover in Japan for about a week. Due to award availability we are stuck with two rather ugly layover situations:

1) Arrive at NRT @ 1620 (from LAX) and depart for BKK at 10:40 the next day

or

2) Arrive at NRT @ 0615 (from BKK) and depart for LAX at 1735.

In other words we can do the 10 days in Thailand at the front end of the trip or the back end. Unfortunately, either way we get stuck with a nasty layover at NRT (which I'm hearing isn't much fun).

Is it possible to go through immigration without having to claim our luggage in order to explore the area around Narita? Is this even worthwhile? If we have to claim our luggage is there a place at the airport to store it so that we can travel light?

I know that in either case we'll need to get a re-entry visa and that NH has historically been very helpful walking passengers through this process.

Sitting at the airport from 8 - 16 hours doesn't sound like a lot of fun especially when it's sandwiched in between a 6 hour flight and an 11 hour flight.

We considered doing two stopovers (one in and one out), but NH doesn't appear to allow this on award travel if the two stopovers are in the same country. We have considered doing *A awards, but our miles are already on NH and their *A awards aren't "competetively priced." NH will only allow award travel on NH (no codeshares) when booked as an NH award.

Thank you all again for all of your help!

-Andrew
Old Oct 21, 2004, 8:20 pm

Programs: SQ silver, NH, TG
Originally Posted by andrewp
Thanks again to all of you for all of the helpful info in these forums... you have made the planning of my trip much easier.

We are planning a trip to BKK from LAX on NH. We plan to stopover in Japan for about a week. Due to award availability we are stuck with two rather ugly layover situations:

1) Arrive at NRT @ 1620 (from LAX) and depart for BKK at 10:40 the next day

or

2) Arrive at NRT @ 0615 (from BKK) and depart for LAX at 1735.

In other words we can do the 10 days in Thailand at the front end of the trip or the back end. Unfortunately, either way we get stuck with a nasty layover at NRT (which I'm hearing isn't much fun).

Is it possible to go through immigration without having to claim our luggage in order to explore the area around Narita? Is this even worthwhile? If we have to claim our luggage is there a place at the airport to store it so that we can travel light?

I know that in either case we'll need to get a re-entry visa and that NH has historically been very helpful walking passengers through this process.

Sitting at the airport from 8 - 16 hours doesn't sound like a lot of fun especially when it's sandwiched in between a 6 hour flight and an 11 hour flight.

We considered doing two stopovers (one in and one out), but NH doesn't appear to allow this on award travel if the two stopovers are in the same country. We have considered doing *A awards, but our miles are already on NH and their *A awards aren't "competetively priced." NH will only allow award travel on NH (no codeshares) when booked as an NH award.

Thank you all again for all of your help!

-Andrew

As both stopovers are less than 24 hours, you will have your onward boarding pass in hand and your luggage can be tagged straight through to the final destination. In other words : no need to worry about your luggage in Narita.
If you want to 'see' your luggage, you will HAVE to go through immigration (no need for a re-entry or anything like that if you have USA passport).
I any case with an onward ticket within 24 hours you will be granted at least a transit visa on most nationalities passports. There is a left luggage facility in the arrival hall but I think it is quite expensive.
By all means go out and explore the city of Narita and its famous temple. You might also want to go up to the UNEO area of Tokyo (50 minutes on the Skyliner train right from underneath the airport terminal) for a colorfull idea of the downtown Tokyo.
The overnight stopover is more tricky and expensive as I think you will want a bed to spend the night. Narita city has the cheaper options with basic rooms available from about 70$. There are other options in higher grade properties like the Hilton or Holiday Inn and others. Most will provide shuttle betwen the terminal and the hotel. The hotels can be reserved at the tourist booth in the arrival hall. I would opt for the daytime layover and use the other layover for your 1 week Japan stay.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 10:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN RR,UA MP,AA
What do you recommend if I plan 3day or a week stopover in NRT? How is the weather over there during the late Feburary or early March? I booked award travel for November but may postpone a little bit. Thanks
Old Oct 22, 2004, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by lassen2545
What do you recommend if I plan 3day or a week stopover in NRT? How is the weather over there during the late Feburary or early March? I booked award travel for November but may postpone a little bit. Thanks
This is very personal !
What are your interrests ?
With 3 days or a week, you open the doors to the whole of Japan. Kyoto would be very high on my list.
End of February can be real nice blue skies but cold on the east coast and a lot of snow on the west cost. On a clear day it could be min 0-5 C and max 10-15 C
Old Oct 22, 2004, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lassen2545
How is the weather over there during the late Feburary or early March? I booked award travel for November but may postpone a little bit. Thanks

Take a look at Weather Underground for current and historical weather data. For some cities they have a "trip planner" which will make a general prediction for a range of dates using the historical data that they have on record.

It's impossible to accurately predict the weather months in advance, but it will give you percentage possibilities for temp ranges, rain, cloud cover, etc.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 1:59 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Your layover situation is such a predicament.

Personally I do the layover 4 times a year from BKK to the SFO connection. I always jump on a train as fast as I can and get into Tokyo to meet a friend for lunch.

When this happens again in Dec, my wife and I are going to get into Tsukiji for sushi "breakfast." Remember, to catch that 16:20 you need to be leaving Tokyo station on the 1:33 Narita Express or Ueno on on the Skyliner about the same time.

Most places open for lunch around 11:00-11:30 so it is realistic (especially since it seems you are on the new "early" flight) to get out of Narita and to downtown Tokyo by 09:00. That will give you 4 hours to explore, Tsukiji or the Imperial palace area, eat lunch and go back to Narita.

In terms of doing the layover on the front end, and the stop over on the way back, your looking at dinner followed by bed, with a race to the airport unless you stay in Narita. However, if this were MY trip, I'd be going into Tokyo, having dinner and drinks with friends and racing back to the airport the next morning.

Of course my perspective is warped because of the 2 years I lived in Japan and the friends I have there now. I'm just trying to let you see both sides and decide.

I guess, what I'd do if I was a Japan rookie would be what follows. I think it makes the most sense and you'll only need to deal with baggage once.

1) Do your stop on the front end. You can arrive in the afternoon, get to your hotel, get out for dinner, and go to bed no earlier than 10:00pm.

2) You'll wake up early the next morning and despite getting tired in the afternoon, you'll pretty much be able to deal with vacation in Japan for a few days or a week or whatever. I'd do everything you want to do except 1 thing that you plan to do on your layover morning.

3) Then off to BKK with you body clock mostly adjusted. There is only 2 hours time difference between NRT & BKK.

4) Try to sleep all the way to NRT from BKK. Forget all the service just try to go straight to bed.

5) Hit the ground running at Narita. Go to Tsukiji, go back and buy that 1 thing in the store you wanted, eat and go back to Narita. You will have taken the trains already, you'll know what your in for, and you can attack it or make an educated decision that it would be biting off more than you can chew.

Regards,

Scho
Old Oct 23, 2004, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Many thanks to JackR and schoflyer for your advice.

I've booked the trip as recommended with a week in Japan on the front end and a 10 hour layover at NRT on the way back. We plan to explore Narita town during the layover and hopefully get back to the airport early enough for a shower.

At this point it looks like the LAX-NRT legs are on the New Style 744 with the F suites up front. We've got 2A & K. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they don't change the equipement on us...
Old Oct 23, 2004, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by andrewp
Many thanks to JackR and schoflyer for your advice.

I've booked the trip as recommended with a week in Japan on the front end and a 10 hour layover at NRT on the way back. We plan to explore Narita town during the layover and hopefully get back to the airport early enough for a shower.

At this point it looks like the LAX-NRT legs are on the New Style 744 with the F suites up front. We've got 2A & K. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they don't change the equipement on us...

Good for you enjoy the F suite !
That's where my BKK 744 will be !
Old Nov 1, 2004, 11:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN,AA,UA
Might not be right on this board;Anybody familiar how to get Narita town from NRT airport.Put it other way; is there an easy access from NRT to Narita Town? I checked JR, seems only limited train stops at Narita town to /from NRT.THX
Old Nov 1, 2004, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by iflyswa
Might not be right on this board;Anybody familiar how to get Narita town from NRT airport.Put it other way; is there an easy access from NRT to Narita Town? I checked JR, seems only limited train stops at Narita town to /from NRT.THX
Very easy either with the JR or Keisei trains. Leaving evry 10-20 minutes from Narita airport stations (terminal 1 and 2) and stopping at Narita town station.
Do not get on the SKYLINER nor on the NARITA EXPRESS as they do NOT stop at Narita town.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 9:40 am
Original Poster

I found a link to a good website that talks about the logistics of a visit to Narita town during a long layover.

http://www.mgnewman.com/narita/
Old Nov 2, 2004, 10:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN,AA,UA
JackR,andrewp:

Excellent information. Thanks a lot.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.