Search

Checked luggage on a long connection?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:33 pm
formerly 1984SW
Original Poster

Programs: UA
Checked luggage on a long connection?

I'm planning a trip from BKK to the USA in the fairly near future and for the dates and classes of service I'm considering there would be an eight hour layover in NRT, i.e. arrive NRT early morning but depart NRT late afternoon. With checked luggage on such a long layover can I stay airside in a lounge and not have to go through customs/immigrations to claim my luggage and babysit it for several hours?

Is there a time limit for the Business Class lounges? Would I be able to spend six or seven hours in one?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:26 pm

ANA rep said they will through check the bags as long as arrival and departure are on the same calendar day.

As for chilling out in the lounge, I stayed in an ANA lounge at NRT for 6 hours waiting for my connecting flight.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Yes, under you situation ANA will through check your luggage to the U.S. and you can stay airside during your long connection at NRT. ANA lounge does not have time limit, you can stay as long as you want. It is fairly common situation where passengers arriving in a morning and connecting to a flight departing in afternoon or evening.

NRT is not 24 hrs. airport, so if your connection involves overnight such as arriving at NRT in the evening and departing NRT next morning, then under such situation you have to clear customs and immigration at NRT since terminal will be closed overnight.

Under your situation of connection which does not involve overnight, then you can stay at airside and lounge as long as you want.

Another option to consider is that you do have 8 hours at NRT. There is a tour of city of Narita from NRT designed for such passengers. You may want to entertain an option of clearing customs and immigration and spend few ours touring city of Narita. Under such situation your luggage will still be through checked to the U.S., you do not have to deal with your luggage at NRT.

Narita City Bus tour
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:01 am
formerly 1984SW
Original Poster

Programs: UA
Thanks! Good to know. I'm not really thrilled about a 8 or 9 hour wait in any airport, but there are worse things than hanging out in a lounge.

I spent over seven years living full-time in Japan plus about four years living part-time in Sakura (just up the tracks from Narita town). Not really interested in wandering around Narita town, but I might change my mind. At least I wouldn't have to do it with my luggage in tow. One thing I might do is head to Kozunomori to wander the aisles of the Daiso store there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.