Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Some sector of flight cancelled, can I claim refund?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2016, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold

My itinerary was MNL-NRT-CTS-HND-MNL with NH. The NRT-CTS was announced cancelled due to heavy snow in CTS when we were already in NRT. We asked to be rebooked but the earliest flight that can accomodate us will be after 2 days so we decided to just forego our trip to Sapporo and just stay in Tokyo.

Asked the ground staff in NRT if we can claim for refund, but was told we should call the country office where we booked the tickets. We just arrived back home in MNL and its holiday here untill after New Year.

Can I claim a refund for the NRT-CTS-HND sectors?
Old Dec 30, 2016, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by boybi
My itinerary was MNL-NRT-CTS-HND-MNL with NH. The NRT-CTS was announced cancelled due to heavy snow in CTS when we were already in NRT. We asked to be rebooked but the earliest flight that can accomodate us will be after 2 days so we decided to just forego our trip to Sapporo and just stay in Tokyo.

Asked the ground staff in NRT if we can claim for refund, but was told we should call the country office where we booked the tickets. We just arrived back home in MNL and its holiday here untill after New Year.

Can I claim a refund for the NRT-CTS-HND sectors?
You should be able to. But as it is part of an international ticket, you will probably find that the fare for the domestic legs is a tiny fraction of the total fare. Airport taxes in Japan are also almost nothing for domestic flights. So the amount refunded is in all likelihood fairly small, but I would still ask for it.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks. We are eight passengers, so however small the refund is, it will still be significant if multiplied by 8.

By the way, just an observation; the ground staff of NH is basically useless as we were always being told to just call their hotline for inquiries on our cancelled flight because we are holding an international ticket.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Thanks. We are eight passengers, so however small the refund is, it will still be significant if multiplied by 8.

By the way, just an observation; the ground staff of NH is basically useless as we were always being told to just call their hotline for inquiries on our cancelled flight because we are holding an international ticket.
Since the recalculation of the fare between the international part and the domestic part is not necessarily self-evident from the ticket, and there were hundreds of flights to and from Sapporo cancelled (280 in total, don't know the NH share) it is maybe not unfair to have the back office handle the refund part which can hardly be urgent, and have the front line staff handle rebooking, checking availability, arranging accommodations, etc., which is fairly urgent.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 9:32 am
Original Poster

We also asked if our flight back to MNL will be cancelled if we didn't rebook our flight to CTS, 2 or 3 of the staffs told us to call their hotline since we're holding an international ticket. (We asked around a lot. It was our first time to experience a cancelled flight). Then finally, one of the staffs we talked to said that the HND-MNL part won't be affected by the domestic part of our ticket. That's when we decided to just stay in Tokyo.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 3:37 pm

Programs: NH-SFC, SQ, UA, JL- JGC/Sapphire, AA, DL, IHG-Gold, SPG-Gold, Marriott-gold
Greetings 2017,
Unlucky of you being affected by heavy snow at CTS..
When recalculation for refund is confirmed pls post it for our future reference.
Hope you had a good alternative stay in Tokyo, instead.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Already made the call to the customer service hotline of NH here in Manila. I will receive a call or email from them when they have already made the recalculation for the refund, which would take 3-6 months to be credited back to my credit card.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:41 am
Original Poster

I got a call from ANA today. They will refund the unused tickets. The refund amount is around 25% of the ticket price.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Got an email from ANA confirming the refund of the unused tickets. Now I have to wait 2-3months for the amount to be credited back to my credit card.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got an email from ANA confirming the refund of the unused tickets. Now I have to wait 2-3months for the amount to be credited back to my credit card.
They write 2 to 3 months, though by experience it is usually a lot quicker.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
They write 2 to 3 months, though by experience it is usually a lot quicker.
Already got my refund! Just got my credit card bill, the refund was credited last January 23. So the refund was made at the same time they sent me the email notice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.