Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

how does NH handle bags on NRT-HND connections?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

I was looking at fares for an upcoming trip from the US to Asia. NH has a few fares that are much cheaper than competing US and Asian airlines.

However, the only catch is that these three flights have NRT-HND connections of 4 to 5 hours.

If I'm flying from the US into NRT and then connecting to HND-Asia flights, what will happen to my checked bags? I assume 4 to 5 hours is enough time for such connection, right? Otherwise, how can NH sell such tickets? Based on what I've searched so far, I can travel from NRT to HND in about 2 hours, so getting myself there isn't the problem. I'm just concerned because I will also check two bags.

Thanks!
Old Jul 24, 2015, 1:52 pm

Not sure how ANA handles it but for both JAL and Delta you have to claim your bags at NRT and you are responsible for getting yourself and your bags to HND or vice versa.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
simple answer, they don't, it's all on you to transport
Old Jul 24, 2015, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The good news is that if you make it, your bags will too !
Old Jul 24, 2015, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
The good news is that if you make it, your bags will too !
If I were a Vulcan, that answer would have been the most logical.

Wait a minute.... is 4 to 5 hours really enough to get off the plane at NRT, clear immigration, wait for my bag, go through customs, take the bus(or train) to HND, check my bag, clear security, get to the gate, and board my flight?

Sound like a risky proposition. It once took me more than 3.5 hours to get to my hotel near Shibuya and I took the NaritaExpress train.(3.5 hours from the time I got off the plane until I walked into the hotel lobby)
Old Jul 24, 2015, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HA Pualani
Transfer from NRT to HND

That is plenty of time.

You should be on the Limousine Bus to HND within 1 hour from pulling into the gate and it is about 1 hour to HND.

You can always do Rail, I believe via Keiyu to HND, but haven't done that myself.

The Limousine Bus leaves, I think about every 20 min.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Siberian_Viktorya
It once took me more than 3.5 hours to get to my hotel near Shibuya and I took the NaritaExpress train.(3.5 hours from the time I got off the plane until I walked into the hotel lobby)
Well, Google says it only takes 69 minutes to get from Airport Terminal 2 Station to Shibuya Station by taking the Keisei Sky Liner and transferring to the Yamanote Line, which sounds about right.

I've never done NRT to HND, but if I did, I would take a direct bus.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 4:49 am

Programs: *gold, SPG Platinum, Amex Centurian, IHG Royal whatever, Emerald one world whatever
the better half is crew with NH and they always take the limousine bus between airports. give yourself an hour on that commute. 4 hours is more than enough time.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Is there any chance I can make the connection from NH103 JFK-NRT arriving 21:05 to NH843 HND-SIN at 23:55? Star Alliance Silver, carry-on only...

Thanks all.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
That's so tough! If you check NH9 the arrival time should be 2:20 but I believe due to the polar ice routes it's averaging an 40 minute delay.

But you should be okay because of no luggage.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by 764toHI
Is there any chance I can make the connection from NH103 JFK-NRT arriving 21:05 to NH843 HND-SIN at 23:55? Star Alliance Silver, carry-on only...

Thanks all.
You should check your transport options very carefully for that time of the day.

The Limousine Bus, normally the quickest and easiest option, has the last departure from Narita to Haneda at 21:00. There are other bus companies, but I do not have the details.

The trains have options, but it will be cutting it fairly close. There is a 21:19 option that gets you to Haneda at 22:52 and a 21:44 option for a 23:09 arrival. This is arrival at the station, but the terminal is fairly close.

Star Alliance Silver is not going to provide you any helping benefits on the way.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 4:02 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 764toHI

Thanks all.
There are several threads in the Japan forum about transfer between NRT and HND.

According to this thread the MCT between NRT and HND is either 3 hours or 3.5 hours. You had better check that yours is a legal connection (on one ticket). It seems extremely tight to me.

The recommended late night option appears to be to take a Limousine bus to TCAT (Tokyo City Air Terminal) and to get a taxi to HND from there. A Limousine bus leaves NRT T1 South Wing at 21:25, 21:40, 21:50, 22:00, 22:20, 22:40 and 23:00, arriving at TCAT 60 minutes later. The last limousine bus from NRT to HND leaves T1 South Wing at 21:30 and arrives at HND International Terminal at 22:55.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 2:31 am

Programs: CX Gold
For connections involving NRT and HND, does one need to have Japan Visa? You're actually already entering Japanese territory with the transport between the two airports, so I would guess a visa is needed?
Old Nov 28, 2015, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by boybi
For connections involving NRT and HND, does one need to have Japan Visa? You're actually already entering Japanese territory with the transport between the two airports, so I would guess a visa is needed?
You will need either a visa or a transit visa. As far as I know, the transit visa also needs to be issued before arriving in Japan.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
You will need either a visa or a transit visa. As far as I know, the transit visa also needs to be issued before arriving in Japan.
Also keep in mind that Japanese customs check are very thorough. They virtually check and interview each arriving passenger. I have never seen sth. like that in any other country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.