Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Paid Y + Award F on ANA. F treatment all the way?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JJ OW Emerald, TK*G, O6*G, Smiles Diamond, IC Amb, Le Club Platinum, former LH SEN (miss it!)

I'll fly a domestic leg ITM NRT (738) on Y in order to position myself for a NRT SIN flight on F. I'm a *G with TK.

First leg was paid and is not part of F redemption. Would I have any recognition as a "F" passenger in the first flight?

An upgrade to front section of the 737-800 would be nice, but I have some concerns specially in relation to luggage.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex
Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
So you mean it is on two separate tickets? You can probably get your bags checked through since it is NH-NH.

What is your luggage concern? Seems as domestic Y *G = 3 x 40kg & INTL F = 3 x 32kg? Are you really going to go over that?

F recognition on the flight? You'll be listed as a *G but there's nothing the GA or FA will see that says you are an "F" pax on a different and separate flight.

I've gotten an Y to C op up (*G UA W Fare) on NH HKG-NRT but I don't think showing them another F ticket for a different flight is going to increase any chances.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JJ OW Emerald, TK*G, O6*G, Smiles Diamond, IC Amb, Le Club Platinum, former LH SEN (miss it!)
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
So you mean it is on two separate tickets? You can probably get your bags checked through since it is NH-NH.

What is your luggage concern? Seems as domestic Y *G = 3 x 40kg & INTL F = 3 x 32kg? Are you really going to go over that?

F recognition on the flight? You'll be listed as a *G but there's nothing the GA or FA will see that says you are an "F" pax on a different and separate flight.

I've gotten an Y to C op up (*G UA W Fare) on NH HKG-NRT but I don't think showing them another F ticket for a different flight is going to increase any chances.
Thanks for the answers. Yes, flying on two separate tickets.

I was not aware that I could have two volumes of 40kg each on Y domestic flights within Japan. That's really more than enough!

For recognition as I was thinking of chances of having a upgrade. I know I can pay for it, but I don't believe there will be available seats at check-in, given so many NH and other *A flight leaving NRT few hours after my landing.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I didn't realize NH Y *G domestic until I looked it up after your post: http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/japan/e/loc...eckin/baggage/
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:00 am

Programs: NH Plat

Free checked baggage on NH domestic ticket in Y is 20kg total, not 3x20kg
*G increases limit by 20kg.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by AlexMC
For recognition as I was thinking of chances of having a upgrade. I know I can pay for it, but I don't believe there will be available seats at check-in, given so many NH and other *A flight leaving NRT few hours after my landing.
No you don't, especially your 2nd leg is award not paid.

Just the same with other airlines like UA, even if one segment is F and the other is Y, the Y segment will stay in Y, and if you don't have UA status you can't even get E+.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:36 am
Original Poster

I didn't realize NH Y *G domestic until I looked it up after your post: http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/japan/e/loc...eckin/baggage/
Originally Posted by BalbC
Free checked baggage on NH domestic ticket in Y is 20kg total, not 3x20kg
*G increases limit by 20kg.
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
No you don't, especially your 2nd leg is award not paid.

Just the same with other airlines like UA, even if one segment is F and the other is Y, the Y segment will stay in Y, and if you don't have UA status you can't even get E+.
Thank you for all the answers. Although a free upgrade to C is always nice, or even paid on a fair price (as these ~9,000 JPY at checkin), this is not really relevant for such a short flight.

On the other had, baggage allowance is important. For sure I'll not be able comply with 40kg limit. But it seems rather tricky to me this this limit would be imposed in ITM if they allow me to send the luggage through my final destination, hum? After all, as per reservation, I have 50kg in my NRT SIN leg + 20kg as *G.

Of course this has a lot to do with Japanese - or ANA, for that matter - sense of enforcement of rules. It's my first time in Japan and first flight with them, but I've heard that, although very gentle always, flexibility is not the word for Japanese customer service. Should I start to worry? Maybe try to buy a C ticket in this flight?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:54 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It has nothing to do with flexibility.... You bought the Y ticket yourself, expect to get what you paid for. If you need more, pay for it. 40kgs is already pretty generous, the additional charge for the domestic route will probably be insignificant (¥2500-3500).
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTW1
... the additional charge for the domestic route will probably be insignificant (¥2500-3500).
Thanks. I'm not refusing to pay. I'd even pay more for C, if available, as stated before. Anyway, this is the piece of information I was looking for.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:46 pm

Programs: NH Plat
Originally Posted by AlexMC
Thanks. I'm not refusing to pay. I'd even pay more for C, if available, as stated before. Anyway, this is the piece of information I was looking for.
Prem class ticket gives 40kg allowance + 20 kg *G
Chance of a free upgrade is about 0.
Paid upgrade at the airport is pretty low too for that timed flight.
The NRT domestic routes tend to have pretty good availability for advance prem tabiwari fares, would be a little over 20k yen if you can book 2 months before your trip.

I reckon you've got a good chance of getting your bags on for free if you are interlining to NH international flights with a larger allowance, especially if you check-in at the prem counter.
As said, worse case scenario is a modest excess charge. JVPhoto already gave the link above with the excess charges by weight which is on ANA's site here

Personally, I would try to book a cheap Prem seat in advance though. The fare difference isn't that much more than the potential excess charge, so not bad for a bit of food, extra comfort and no concerns in advance; and it would make a more appropriate start to your F travels.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BalbC
Prem class ticket gives 40kg allowance + 20 kg *G
Chance of a free upgrade is about 0.
Paid upgrade at the airport is pretty low too for that timed flight.
The NRT domestic routes tend to have pretty good availability for advance prem tabiwari fares, would be a little over 20k yen if you can book 2 months before your trip.

I reckon you've got a good chance of getting your bags on for free if you are interlining to NH international flights with a larger allowance, especially if you check-in at the prem counter.
As said, worse case scenario is a modest excess charge. JVPhoto already gave the link above with the excess charges by weight which is on ANA's site here

Personally, I would try to book a cheap Prem seat in advance though. The fare difference isn't that much more than the potential excess charge, so not bad for a bit of food, extra comfort and no concerns in advance; and it would make a more appropriate start to your F travels.
Thanks, BalbC. There is a waitlist in ANA's website for this flight in C now. Agreed that the difference in itself is not relevant. Let's see what happens.

I'll report back here after the flight, as it can be useful for future reference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.