Wiki Posts
Search

A few ANA questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2015, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze
A few ANA questions

Looking into booking trans-Pacific flights from HKG for the first time and considering ANA as one of the better options (along with Air Canada). A few questions:

1. How is the IFE on ANA 777 and ANA / Air Japan 767? Have read conflicting reports with some saying it's fine and others saying it's mostly in Japanese.

2. Found an itinerary with ANA to Air Canada transfer of 1 hour at NRT. Is this really long enough?

3. Seat width in ANA economy is apparently as low as 16.5". Are these seats noticeably tighter than the competition? This is never going to be a comfortable trip in Y but this sounds unusually tight. Any insights appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 2:14 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan, BA Executive, DL Skymiles, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, National Executive Elite
I just flew long haul Y with ANA and I have another flight in a couple days so I should be able to answer your questions.
1. The IFE is a little lacking in English content, there was about 10-15 English movies and about 5-10 TV shows. Some of them only had 1-2 episodes. Then there were some documentaries (food mostly)
2. That should be more than enough time as they both fly out of the same terminal. You just need to follow the transfers signs when you are off the airplane and then go through a security checkpoint. (Like going through domestic security in Canada). No having to recheck bags like some countries
3.I'm 6 feet and I haven't had any issues with leg room, there is nothing blocking your legs between the seats. The IFE and tray tables are positioned in a way that's non disruptive if the person in front of you reclines.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Amtrak Guest Rewards
1. The IFE is supposed to be getting way better starting this month.

2. Since it's an int'l to int'l, you *should* be fine. NRT separates transit from Tokyo or domestic-bound pax. No bag recheck. However, if the NH flight is significantly delayed, you might be in trouble, obviously.

3. I'm 5'9". Pitch was fine when I've been on the 773.

Last edited by aresef; Feb 7, 2015 at 9:58 am
Old Feb 8, 2015, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze
Thanks for your insights!
Old Feb 8, 2015, 11:16 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
The IFE is much improved, still not at the same level as SQ for example but many more english movies and TV shows.

Leg room in y is tight but comparable with others.

Only issue is you need to go through security at NRT, can be long queues but if bags are checked and flight on time it should be OK, if flight late they may well hold as there will be many in the same boat.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:38 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3
The IFE is much improved, still not at the same level as SQ for example but many more english movies and TV shows.
Any confirmation on whether the improved IFE has been rolled out to the entire long haul fleet? Or is this still in process?
Old Feb 6, 2016, 4:44 pm

Programs: NH Dia (MM), QF-Plt, S-La GC Dia, Marriot Plt
Originally Posted by waxearwings
Any confirmation on whether the improved IFE has been rolled out to the entire long haul fleet? Or is this still in process?
+1

I'm curious to learn more about that. The IFE systems that I am used to is probably one of the biggest downsides to flying ANA, a real disappointment.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by waxearwings
It is completely rolled out since almost a year ago, there are a lot more contents but I still find it is mostly filled with old movies but not recent ones, and TV programs are still Japanese centered with no English subtiltles !

If you want better IFE, I still suggest go for UA, UA pretty much sucks in every ways except the IFE.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3
They add in a lot more contents but not necessary english centered, I still find the majority of TV shows are in Japanese only, they could have at least add in engligh subtiltles. They are not even in the same level of UA !

You would think an asian airlines can win every single thing over a US base airline, but not the IFE !
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:16 am
Original Member

Programs: United, Hilton
Originally Posted by go_around
Looking into booking trans-Pacific flights from HKG for the first time and considering ANA as one of the better options (along with Air Canada). A few questions:

1. How is the IFE on ANA 777 and ANA / Air Japan 767? Have read conflicting reports with some saying it's fine and others saying it's mostly in Japanese.

2. Found an itinerary with ANA to Air Canada transfer of 1 hour at NRT. Is this really long enough?

3. Seat width in ANA economy is apparently as low as 16.5". Are these seats noticeably tighter than the competition? This is never going to be a comfortable trip in Y but this sounds unusually tight. Any insights appreciated.

Thanks.
Since you ask about seat WIDTH and the answers above are about PITCH, let me say that the seats are narrow and uncomfortable. I was happy on the last flight NRT-MNL to have a 777 with 9 across UNTIL I boarded and found that the seat was just as narrow as the seat on a 767. Miserable width for a larger person and makes for an uncomfortable flight. So, even a 777 with 9 across is not going to be wider than 16.5 and this is based on direct experience and not a "web-site" measurement.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
1. Yes mostly Japanese, I did not watch any of the english ones.
I advise you to BringYourOwn Entertainment.
2. Yes plenty of time for NRT.
3. The # doesn't quite matter. What matters most is if the configuration is an 3-4-3 or an 2-4-3. If that 10th seat is added you're going to have an awesome long haul ride. (sarcasm)
Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
OP: I guess I'll throw in my thoughts. I've flown ANA a couple of dozen times both TPAC and intra-Asia in the past two years, all in Y.

1. On the IFE, better you decide for yourself if the movies are adequate. The url's are ANA's movies for February and March:

http://www.anaspamphlet.jp/skychanne...16/movies.html
http://www.ana.co.jp/int/inflight/gu...678_e_1603.pdf

Basically, there are English movies on ANA, but whether there are enough of the recent blockbusters is for you to decide. There will be a bunch of older movies, so it's not like it's totally barren. In terms of video, there are more Japanese items, however there's an ok selection of US tv series.

2. AC and ANA are in the same part of Narita Terminal 1 (South wing). Check this url - note that you might need to hit another button to get the T1 diagram.

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guid..._inter_t1.html

ANA's flights can leave from any of gates 42 to 47, and 51 to 58. The 40 gates and 50 gates are well separated. If (and this really depends if my memory holds and things haven't changed in the meantime), I think (again, big grain of salt, ok?) I've seen AC flights leave somewhere around gate 41. On arrival at NRT, you need to figure out where you are, and where your departing flight is leaving from. I can't remember if there is an electronic board showing gate information before the security check, however that information is readily available after security (which will be down an escalator). In case it turns out that you end up having to go between the 40's gates to the 50's or vice versa, know there's a tunnel that connects between around gate 47 and gate 54 directly, takes just under ten minutes to walk. In this instance, one hour is a little tight but it's doable.

As a word to the wise, better if both legs are on the same ticket. That way, regardless of whether the inbound flight from HKG arrives late or not, you will be protected on your outbound. If your outbound from NRT is on ANA and both legs are on one ticket, ANA will have their staff catch stragglers as they get off the jetway of the incoming flight and get them through security, if need be.

3. I've got a small to medium frame (38" shoulders, 35" waist). I've found some of the seats snug, but ok on the TPAC. However if the pitch is tight (eg 31"), I've sometimes resorted to sticking my feet into the aisle.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:53 am

Programs: UAL 1k
To the OP, I just flew the NH812 flight yesterday from HKG. We arrived at gate 53 IIRC. We were also 5 minutes late due to landing on runway 16L. (Little bit longer taxi time) I have had this flight a few times where we parked at a remote spot and took a bus to the terminal. Obviously this will add a few minutes but you should be very close to the transfer security point when you enter the building.

Good luck and enjoy your flight. I know the seats may not be the best but I believe the inflight service more than makes up for that. ^
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: Cathay Pacific-Asia Miles, Starwood
Is Wi-fi available on the 787 from SEA-NRT? Cost?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by darlaf
Is Wi-fi available on the 787 from SEA-NRT? Cost?
ANA has pretty good wifi generally. You pay per amount of data used.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.