Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to extend expiration date of ANA miles?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

How to extend expiration date of ANA miles?

I have 20,000 ANA miles that are set to expire in about a year. The plan I had had to use them (on a partner flight in Europe) may not work out, so I'd like to somehow get the expiration date of the miles extended so that I can use them further down the road.

Just checked ANA's website; could not find the answer to this question: Can the expiration date of ANA miles be extended (e.g. by buying something from an ANA online shop, if one exists; or by buying some ANA miles)?

I seem to recall having read somewhere in the past that ANA miles expire when they expire, and cannot be extended. Would someone know for sure?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA/AA
You can convert 1000 SPG or Membership Reward points if you have them. This will create activity in your account and keep it active.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:25 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by Paiteaw
You can convert 1000 SPG or Membership Reward points if you have them. This will create activity in your account and keep it active.
This is incorrect. The expiration date of miles in AMC can only be extended by attaining Diamond status (i.e. 100,000 PP in one calendar year). No other method will extend the expiration date.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by armagebedar
The expiration date of miles in AMC can only be extended by attaining Diamond status...No other method will extend the expiration date.
That's what I thought / had feared.

Thanks for the information on that.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Paiteaw
No it doesn't, only airlines in north America would work this way, almost every single airline in Asia once it expires it expires, nothing you can do about it, and that's why very few people would collect miles with Asian airlines except OZ. (OZ miles would still expire, but it has a much longer validity compare to NH, BR, and CX)
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA/AA
I see, thanks for the clarification on that.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 6:57 pm

Is buying SkyCoins a reasonable way to spend miles that are about to expire -- instead of just let them expire? At least that way you get another 12 months to spend the SkyCoins
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:38 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
That is an option, though Sky Coins can only be used for certain things (i.e. ex-Japan tickets, fuel surcharges, domestic/international package tours, etc.) so they may not be as useful for someone not living in Japan.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 2:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP G, SW RR CP, A3 *G, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat
Has anyone explored reserving a waitlisted ticket and then canceling the ticket to extend your miles? Or would that result in the 'expired' miles disappearing?
Old Apr 24, 2016, 7:27 am

Programs: NH-SFC, SQ, UA, JL- JGC/Sapphire, AA, DL, IHG-Gold, SPG-Gold, Marriott-gold
Originally Posted by More2life
Has anyone explored reserving a waitlisted ticket and then canceling the ticket to extend your miles? Or would that result in the 'expired' miles disappearing?
I have never tried such tricky procedure, however, I don't think it works...
Once the original expiration date comes, miles will be automatically disappeared.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP G, SW RR CP, A3 *G, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat
That is quite unfortunate and won't want anything 'automatically disappeared' unless its stress!
Old Sep 19, 2016, 7:21 pm

So my account says I have miles expiring in November 2016, Does that mean they expire 11/30 or 11/1 or 10/31 (there isn't a day listed), I would guess 11/30, but I don't want to leave that chance.

TIA
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by moops380
So my account says I have miles expiring in November 2016, Does that mean they expire 11/30 or 11/1 or 10/31 (there isn't a day listed), I would guess 11/30, but I don't want to leave that chance.

TIA
Doubt anyone leaves that to chance! Use them by October if you value them.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
I forgot about a significant amount of ANA miles, they expired 10 days ago. Is there anyway I can pay to reinstate them?
Old Mar 13, 2017, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I forgot about a significant amount of ANA miles, they expired 10 days ago. Is there anyway I can pay to reinstate them?
Basically no. You can try to plead your case over the phone, it is Japan and rules though so not very likely to give you anything. I would try and be ready to book something when I called. But also be very ready for a polite but firm 'No!'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.