Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Waitlist and Stanby Rules

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2013, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Question Award Waitlist and Stanby Rules

I am having trouble finding two premium cabin awards on the same dates for a trip to Japan this spring (ORD-NRT return on ANA metal). There are plenty of flights with one seat, but it looks like I am going to have to be creative for the second.

I was hoping people with more experience could help me understand some of the rules and tricks to traveling on the fight and class I want, assuming they do not sell out the cabin.

I have read the website for ANA international flight award rules and think I can make it work, but want to check and make sure I am interpreting things correctly.

First on the outbound, there is one first class seat on each of the two daily flights. If I book one ticket on each, would I be able to standby for the earlier fight assuming it doesn't sell out?

Second on the return, there is one first class seat and plenty of economy seats. From what I read on the website, I think I can pay the higher first class mileage for the ticket and then waitlist for first. If it clears before seven days, great (but from what I read that sounds unlikely?). If not, I think these two sections indicate I can upgrade to first within 6 hours of departure if there are "unoccupied" seats. Is this a displaced first passenger upgrade list such that I would get a seat if it isn't sold? or could ANA decide to let the cabin fly half full and leave me in economy?

"・For sectors where the ticket was issued using the mileage required for a class higher than the class in witch the person who is actually traveling, the passenger can upgrade to the higher class if there are unoccupied seats. Passengers can upgrade to a higher class within the time limit for changing their reservation.

"Changes can be made up until either 11:59 p.m. on the day before first day of the itinerary (the departure date for the first sector) or 6 hours prior to the boarding time, whichever is either. "

Thanks for the help
Old Dec 24, 2013, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
IME, no standby on NH international. You have to pay fare class difference + change fee.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks Tide.

Do you have any experience ticketing in a lower cabin while paying the higher cabin price in mileage and waitlisting/upgrading at the gate?

Merry Christmas
Old Dec 25, 2013, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by ChiFlyer636
Do you have any experience ticketing in a lower cabin while paying the higher cabin price in mileage and waitlisting/upgrading at the gate?
I honestly didn't even know one could do that i.e. pay for F while securing a seat in C in anticipation of an F seat being available on day of travel. If F clears-great, if not you're out the delta in miles. Learned something new today.

I would call ANA.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if i acquire a biz class award seat, rt iad-nrt the chart shows 85K miles for "regular season". can i at the same time sign up to wait list First class award tickets(which i understand are rarely available to low level status ana members). do they then notify me if i hit the jackpot? if i do get these tickets, as i read the website, the cost of this award UG is 35 or 45K miles each way. cannot find that charge now. is that amount correct?

i am requesting tickets for 6-8 months out. i will have all the miles in for the purchase and UG for the tickets by next week. the first part of the mileage transfer hit in about 10 days. starwood limits daily starpoint transfers, so i had to transfer for 4 days.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 7:20 am
Original Poster

So I talked to ANA

They will make changes at the airport, but the 'unoccupied seat' does mean open award availability, not just an empty seat in the cabin you have paid the mileage for.

They said they would ask airport control to release an award seat in cases where there are open seats in the ticketed cabin <6 hours prior to departure, but there are no guarantees. She specifically mentioned that with first class catering requirements may prevent them from opening seats.

Since I am going to be wait listing my ex. Japan sector, I will give it a try and let you guys know how it goes in mid April.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ChiFlyer636
So I talked to ANA

They will make changes at the airport, but the 'unoccupied seat' does mean open award availability, not just an empty seat in the cabin you have paid the mileage for.

They said they would ask airport control to release an award seat in cases where there are open seats in the ticketed cabin <6 hours prior to departure, but there are no guarantees. She specifically mentioned that with first class catering requirements may prevent them from opening seats.

Since I am going to be wait listing my ex. Japan sector, I will give it a try and let you guys know how it goes in mid April.
I'm interested in the update on this, if you have the time. Am in a similar situation for an October 2014 trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.