Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "fuel surcharge on redemptions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
When making a request, please specify the following for each segment for us to give you a more accurate calculation:
  • Origin
  • Destination
  • Date of departure
  • Carrier
  • Travel class

Also note that you can search for your itinerary on ITA Matrix to get an estimate of taxes and fees.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "fuel surcharge on redemptions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2013, 8:34 am

Programs: AS 75K; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold
Well, it looks like ANA is once again charging YQ for UA flights. Is this just a glitch or are others seeing this as well?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:59 pm

Programs: KE MC
I heard that ANA charges no fuel surcharges for AC flights, too. Is it real? I have searched a lot in this forum but couldn't find this. Is there anyone who redeemed ANA miles for AC international flight?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 6:37 am

Programs: Not care as much as before...
Originally Posted by shotime1
Well, it looks like ANA is once again charging YQ for UA flights. Is this just a glitch or are others seeing this as well?
others see the fuel surcharge again too
Old Feb 3, 2013, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by kenneth_lee
I heard that ANA charges no fuel surcharges for AC flights, too. Is it real? I have searched a lot in this forum but couldn't find this. Is there anyone who redeemed ANA miles for AC international flight?
Not sure about international, but I don't think that AC publishes a fuel surcharge for domestic travel within Canada or between Canada and the US, so I don't think ANA would know how much to charge. Aeroplan just picks a number they deem fair when you redeem AP miles.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 1:28 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Lightbulb Does ANA impose fuel charges on Etihad award tickets?

I found conflicting answers to this question. Some says that ANA only charges YQ on airlines that charges them, but some other posts that I read seem to suggest that ANA charges YQ to all partners except US if US itself does not charge the "Q surcharge".

I'm looking at JKF-AUH-MLE on Etihad first class suite (second leg in C). They look really amazing, but it doesn't make sense to me if I have to pay a hefty YQ on top of the 100K oneway. I looked on ITA software and didn't find the YQ in breakdown of fares. I'm assuming Etihad doesn't charge YQ on their revenue tickets?

Thanks!

Last edited by armagebedar; Nov 13, 2013 at 7:45 pm Reason: updated thread title and restored OP's post title
Old Feb 8, 2013, 9:08 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
yes _ i called once and asked and JFK - AUH was $300+ in YQ each way.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 3:35 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Does ANA impose fuel charges on Etihad award tickets?

I spent a lot of time on the ANA tool trying different itineraries to get me from NY to Italy with minimal fees.

If I route fully on UA to Milan or Rome, there were no fuel surcharges. The fees were about $58 per ticket. If I routed on Lufthansa (ny-MUC-Milan) the fees/surcharges jumped to nearly $800 per ticket! Turkish, Brussels and Swiss were all similar. As much as a lot of people hate the new UA, the business class seats are lie flat and the fees are pennies compared to the others.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 3:45 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
YQ / fuel surcharge on UA / US redemptions

Just booked EWR-MXP-EWR on UA for late April/early May. 68,000 AMC points and $54 in taxes (business class).

So, looks like the UA fuel surcharge is absent. Thank God. Similar routings through Germany on LH were outrageous.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 1:23 am

In January I redeemed UA miles to fly ORD-NRT on NH in F - $130 in taxes, so no YQ.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 5:23 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by rockyp
In January I redeemed UA miles to fly ORD-NRT on NH in F - $130 in taxes, so no YQ.
You redeemed miles with UA MP, not NH AMC -- UA MP doesn't add on fuel surcharges to redemptions, but NH AMC does.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Any idea what extra taxes and fuel surcharges would be redeeming on NH AMC and flying UA MCI-ORD, OZ ORD-ICN, and OZ ICN-BKI in J class? I would not be on an ANA plane or pass through NRT.

I am interested in a vacation to Borneo in early 2014 and am flexible with what miles/points I can use to get there. My preference is to use up my AX MR points and dump into ANA plan. But taxes and YQ amounts have a bearing on whether or not I get to BKI this way or use another airline FF plan.

Last edited by susiesan; Feb 19, 2013 at 10:11 am
Old Feb 18, 2013, 3:05 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Originally Posted by susiesan
Any idea what extra taxes and fuel surcharges would be redeeming on NH AMC and flying UA MCI-ORD, OZ ORD-ICN, and OZ ICN-BKI in J class? I would not be on an ANA plane or pass through NRT.

I am interested in a vacation to Borneo in early 2014 and am flexible with what miles/points I can use to get there. My preference is to use up my AX MR points and dump into ANA plan. But taxes and YQ amounts have a bearing on whether or not I get the BKI this way or use another aiirline FF plan.
No idea. Best thing to do is call ANA and ask.

For *A travellers, Amex is not ideal, since NH, SQ and AC all impose fuel surcharges on award tickets. I abandoned mine once the ability to transfer points to CO was done away with.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by susiesan
NH is not the only carrier charging fuel surcharge, for sure OZ will, and they charge as much as NH.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by KI-NRT
No idea. Best thing to do is call ANA and ask.

For *A travellers, Amex is not ideal, since NH, SQ and AC all impose fuel surcharges on award tickets. I abandoned mine once the ability to transfer points to CO was done away with.
I had used up all my MR points on a trip to China in 2011 with ANA plan flying on UA and OZ. I was going to be done with AX cards but there came along an offer for 75K MR points for a new business card. I couldn't help myself so I started the AX MR churn again. Between mine and my Mom's accounts I'm sitting on 206K+ MR points to be used for 2 J tickets. Hence the need to transfer to ANA and fly *A carriers.

On the trip to China the fuel surcharges weren't too bad since we never flew ANA or passed through NRT. They were around $150

I called ANA and asked about the miles needed and taxes. I was told 115K miles pp for J and $586 pp in taxes/YQ. That's steep compared to 2 years ago, but still worth it for J tickets all the way to Borneo.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Looking to book my sister on an award to Scotland with AMEX MR points. The flights she wanted were on UA, and were available so I called ANA to check on the fees. Was surprised to see them coming in at only $141.90, expected a lot more than that since UA showed a $478 YQ when I searched in ITA Matrix. Since it's a direct flight and a short distance, it comes out to only 38k miles in Y which I find a great deal. I did a search on the UA site and they were quoting $141.60 for taxes/fees. Seems like they basically transferred the same fees over to the ANA award?

Do you think something is wrong with the taxes and fees though? Were they perhaps only reading me the taxes and not including any YQ or other fees? Just the UK duty and service charges on the UA ticket fee breakdown were coming in at $131.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.