Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Booked on United codeshare ANA, can't pick seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 21, 2017, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
For customers flying on a United Airlines codeshare flight operated by ANA

https://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/local.../notice170504/

Print Wikipost

Booked on United codeshare ANA, can't pick seats

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I don't know if this has been reported already, but I was just able to pull up my UA code-share flights on ANA for the first time.
Signed into my ANA account. First name with middle initial attached. They give me a new reservation number (different than the one UA gave me).
I can see my seat assignments (which I already called into ANA), but cannot change them.
When I try to register my passport info, I get an error message for 3 of my reservations, but it works for another one (which is booked in Z).
I am able to email myself the reservation.

Not perfect -- but better!
Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:01 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
This may be thanks to the transition to Amadeus.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:42 pm

Programs: TK Elite
I did this while the old reservation system was still active. United listed the ANA reference number. I pulled it up on ANA's website - I was able to select seats, enter passport, email, etc. - everything they wanted for online checkin. After the transition, when I logged on, they gave me a new reference number. I haven't tried changing anything but all the information seems to have been ported over correctly (some of it is hidden but it says complete).
Old Jun 8, 2015, 3:28 pm

We usually fly United BTV/EWR/NRT, purchasing the least expensive economy tickets on United's site. Currently we are both United Silver (and star alliance silver obviously)

I've seen good ANA code share flight options, but have never been able to find an ANA rep who said we could select seats on ANA after making the reservation on United.

Do I understand what I'm reading above? Have things changed? Can one break through to an ANA rep and get seats after trusting that it will happen since the United site says something to the effect of - sorry we cannot make seat reservations for you...

What about earning miles? At silver, if we purchase from UA site an itin that includes an ANA flight, we still earn on UA's lousy new system?

Thanks,
Old Jun 11, 2015, 1:30 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Mme H
I've seen good ANA code share flight options, but have never been able to find an ANA rep who said we could select seats on ANA after making the reservation on United.

Do I understand what I'm reading above? Have things changed? Can one break through to an ANA rep and get seats after trusting that it will happen since the United site says something to the effect of - sorry we cannot make seat reservations for you...
Yes you can - managed to get my seat assignment for NRT-JFK booked via UA on a UA codeshare flight number. Put in the UA ticket number and first name (concatenate first/middle) / last name onto the NH "view reservation" page and then you can see your flight details (but can't view the seatmap/pick seats or enter your passport info) and the 6-digit NH reservation number.

Calll NH and give them the NH number and the agent should be able to assign the seats for you - worked for me at least. Also it doesn't seem that booking the codeshare restricts the seats you can choose - I was able to get 30A (exit row on the 77W) without any trouble.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by truncated
...Calll NH and give them the NH number and the agent should be able to assign the seats for you - worked for me at least. Also it doesn't seem that booking the codeshare restricts the seats you can choose - I was able to get 30A (exit row on the 77W) without any trouble.
Thanks truncated for the helpful advice.
We usually purchase the lowest fare available - I don't know if that is part of our trouble last year when we called ANA and were told we couldn't book seats for our fare type.

Are you in one of those higher priced fare classes?
I am glad to hear that it is possible to get seats (I hate to be picky, but seats matter to us) I'm wondering if we could book on the ANA flight on UA site and try to get seats on the phone; if it's a total failure we could cancel within the 24 hour period and book on the UA flight instead. (Once we cancelled, if we had to - I don't know if we can go ahead and book on UA immediately or if we have to wait until the cancellation clears - I better find that out! )
Old Jun 12, 2015, 6:56 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Mme H
Thanks truncated for the helpful advice.
We usually purchase the lowest fare available - I don't know if that is part of our trouble last year when we called ANA and were told we couldn't book seats for our fare type.

Are you in one of those higher priced fare classes?
I am glad to hear that it is possible to get seats (I hate to be picky, but seats matter to us) I'm wondering if we could book on the ANA flight on UA site and try to get seats on the phone; if it's a total failure we could cancel within the 24 hour period and book on the UA flight instead. (Once we cancelled, if we had to - I don't know if we can go ahead and book on UA immediately or if we have to wait until the cancellation clears - I better find that out! )
I don't think so - I'm booked in K on UA (which maps to K on NH as well, which is one of their cheaper booking classes). Cancelling on UA within 24 hours shouldn't be a problem - I was considering doing the same thing if NH didn't give me seats for the 14-hour NRT-JFK. However it seems that within 24 hours from booking on UA you can go into your reservation and change flights without the change fee so that might be an option to consider.

Also FWIW I was in SIN when I booked my tickets and I got my seat assignments through calling the SIN office, no idea if you'd face any difficulty with the US reservations office but I doubt it'll be a problem. At worst just HUACA.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by truncated
.... However it seems that within 24 hours from booking on UA you can go into your reservation and change flights without the change fee so that might be an option to consider...
Thanks again, truncated.

(This may be neither correct nor relevant, but I recall that it is better to cancel and rebook than change in that 24 hour grace period, though I can't remember where I read that or what the reason was)
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:53 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I just ran into this problem and got seats assigned by calling ANA. The ANA agent said that she had to request the seats from United so "it might take a while," but the seats were shown in my reservation a couple of hours later.

Incidentally, I have found that the ANA UK reservations office tends to have a much shorter hold time than the Japan and US offices (this is also the case with JAL), so I recommend trying that one first if you are calling during European business hours...
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:18 pm

I just booked an award ticket today nrt to iad in business on UA website in business. Codeshare flight ANA. Original confirmation at the time of booking advised I could not book seats. When eticket came through seats were assigned for partner and I. Windows for both of us.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 3:10 pm

WOW, this is painful. I have two flights. Codeshare on UAL from NRT - BKK and then back on an ANA flight, both booked through our corporate travel agent. Our agent was able to pick a seat on the ANA flight (very limited options) but not the code share flight. I called ANA and 3 different agents have told me that they can't select a seat or even tell me what seat I am in for the code share and that they can't change the seat on the ANA flight.

Very strange.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 7:34 am

Programs: UA Plat (1mm), Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
I booked a trip to Asia with a mix of UA and ANA on United website. On the outbound to Japan, all UA metal. Then a flight to MNL on ANA. On the return from NRT, UA codeshare on ANA metal.

UA website does not give an ANA reference number but using the e-ticket info and my name, was able to log into ANA website and see my info and get ANA confirmation number. Was able to assign a seat for the ANA flights to MNL. Tried to register my passport etc info and got an error but looks like the info is there. The trouble is I'm unable to assign the codeshare flight back from Tokyo as it is a UA flight number.

So based on earlier threads, called ANA US 800 number and waited to get a rep who confirmed that due to the codeshare, I couldn't reserve a seat on their website. But she was able to get me a seat as I requested. Looking forward to the business class seat with table next to me so easy to get in/out without climbing over someone.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 11:18 pm

Programs: DL, AS, UA
Arrow

I booked a flight on United, one of who's legs was a codeshare on ANA. Using the e-ticket number from my United ticket receipt, I was able to pull up the flight on ANA's website and select seats. One thing that tripped me up was the my first/middle/last name. United showed me my name as FirstMiddle Last, but that didn't work on ANA. On ANA, I had to enter First Middle in the first name field (with the space), and the Last name in the last name field.

You'll notice the ANA site gives you slightly different error messages with different error codes when you play around with combinations of first/middle/last name, but they all indicate in some way that your name is wrong. They don't mention the e-ticket number in any way, which I took to mean the e-ticket number was correct (and it was).

Hope you have good luck!
Old Jul 25, 2015, 2:55 pm

Having booked ANA via 3 different methods over the years (paid via UA, paid via NH, award via UA), this has been my experience.

1. Entering the name to pull up your reservation on NH site: If you name is John Lee Smith, then try any of the following:
- first: "John" last: "Smith"
- first: "Johnl" last: "Smith"
- first: "Johnlee" last: "Smith"
- occasionally, you enter it one way and it doesn't get you in, but I swear I've entered it again the exact same way later and it gets you in.

2. Seat map/assignment is accessible online on ANA site, if you've booked via NH.

3. Seat map/assignment is accessible online on ANA site, if it's a UA codeshare and you have award booking via UA.

4. Seat map/assignment is not accessible online on ANA site, if it's paid booking (non-award) via UA. However, call NH and they should always be able to assign seats over the phone.

I hope NH will simply all this once and for all. They recently upgraded their website, but we still run into this same issue.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: Asia Miles, Marco Polo, Virgin Flying Club, Etihad Guest & Silver BA Executive Club
I have a slightly different but similar situation.

I booked a flight "LHR-HND" on Virgin Atlantic instead of United, a flight which is codeshare with NH. I've been able to get my 6 digit NH number on the NH website. However, I cannot fill in the passport details or choose seat selection; due to an error. I was wondering would I need to call NH in order to solve this problem?

I gather that my situation is like the no.4 experience as mentioned by evergrn
"4. Seat map/assignment is not accessible online on ANA site, if it's paid booking (non-award) via UA. However, call NH and they should always be able to assign seats over the phone."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.