Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > ITA Airways | Volare > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

First timer to Italy on Alitalia - worried......

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First timer to Italy on Alitalia - worried......

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Question First timer to Italy on Alitalia - worried......

I am looking for both honest answers and some "hand holding". I've never flown to Italy before and booked a direct from JFK-Milan in slightly upgraded Classica Plus on the A330. There are so many terrible reviews about lost luggage that I have already decided to travel lightly with a carry on bag only. I will need to be creative in order to keep the bag under 17 pounds, but am determined to make it work. Any recent travellers, say in the last 12 months, fly the A330 and willing to offer their experiences with check in, food, service, cleanliness etc.? I'd like nothing better than to hear only wonderful things, and that would make me feel better, but I know I have got to take the good with the bad.

Last edited by MSALZ; Aug 2, 2011 at 9:16 am
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:27 am

I have yet to fly on one of those AZ's new A330 however, according to recent trip reports and [especially] reviews by a couple of work colleagues, the experience in terms of plane cleanliness, food etc. can easily compete with the likes of AF, BA and LH. Concerning check-in: well, that can [somehow] go wrong with any airline I'm afraid (I mean queues etc.)! Lastly, I'm relatively sure they'll not be 'over-fussy' with regards to the weight of your cabin bag. You'll be fine - enjoy your trip to Italy.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:39 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
I haven't flown on the A330 either, but in the past 3-5 years, Alitalia has greatly improved such that it is at similar standards to AF or other European carriers. Food and FAs are probably a bit better actually. Lost or delayed baggage is probably a bit worse than others, but much much better than before. Alitalia is also smaller than most of its competitors, which is both good and bad (FCO and MXP have less congestion, but they have fewer alternate flights or resources if something does go wrong).
Old Aug 5, 2011, 8:17 am

On a slightly shorter AZ flight tonight...not A330 but will let you know of anything good or bad

First time for me on AZ too!
Old Aug 5, 2011, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Looking forward to your comments after your first AZ trip. Thanks.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 4:25 pm

Programs: FB Gold (E+),TK Elite(*A Gold)
I have no recent experience of italy-US connections with AZ but I wouldn't expect any nightmare.
My personal experiences are in the last years for intra-EU flights or national flights and it wasn't anything different from the other European majors from Skyteam (AF and KLM).
The only problem for me remains the FCO hub where I got almost always something annoying me (delays, lost baggages even with the new baggage system introduced in 2010, lack of information, crappy lounges...).
That's why I avoid FCO transfers...but you fly direct to MXP so do not worry!
FCO direct flights are also no-problem. Just the transfers can be painful!
Besides long queues at security checks in MXP there's anything else to add...

Last edited by Squerez; Aug 6, 2011 at 4:32 pm
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:41 pm

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
I took a trip in Magnifica on the new A330 in June. I was apprehensive at first, having had my own and other people's less than stellar experiences.

My was I surprised! Service was top notch, airplane and interior gorgeous, food delicious, and overall experience wonderful.

I was sitting in 6a (in the rear mini-cabin) so had the chance to both peek at the Classica plus seats and see some of the the service elements.

The classica plus seats are comparable to domestic first class - wider and with more recline and legroom. looked comfortable. service seemed to be mostly coach style, but with added elements, like hot towels, a different snack variety (sun dried tomato crostini-type things), etc. I would be pretty confident the actual meal was from the economy selections, though (maybe?) with better presentation...

Overall, and if not flying on an award trip - as then I would be in J, i would say coach or classica plus on the A330 is a great bird to be on.

Rome airport is a different story. That airport is a zoo. Bags rarely make it through there on time. I am 3 for 3 for delayed bags when Rome has been in the mix.

Milan is better, and I imagine much quieter, after all the service cuts. You should have no problem getting through the airport in no time. I recall it was a gloomy kind of space, but it gets the job done

Enjoy your trip!

I am (maybe in the minority?) who would consider AZ for transatlantic travel, especially if I can get into the forward cabin
Old Aug 11, 2011, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your very uplifting post!
Old Aug 12, 2011, 5:08 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Originally Posted by goodandclassy
I took a trip in Magnifica on the new A330 in June. I was apprehensive at first, having had my own and other people's less than stellar experiences.

My was I surprised! Service was top notch, airplane and interior gorgeous, food delicious, and overall experience wonderful.

I was sitting in 6a (in the rear mini-cabin) so had the chance to both peek at the Classica plus seats and see some of the the service elements.

The classica plus seats are comparable to domestic first class - wider and with more recline and legroom. looked comfortable. service seemed to be mostly coach style, but with added elements, like hot towels, a different snack variety (sun dried tomato crostini-type things), etc. I would be pretty confident the actual meal was from the economy selections, though (maybe?) with better presentation...

Overall, and if not flying on an award trip - as then I would be in J, i would say coach or classica plus on the A330 is a great bird to be on.

Rome airport is a different story. That airport is a zoo. Bags rarely make it through there on time. I am 3 for 3 for delayed bags when Rome has been in the mix.

Milan is better, and I imagine much quieter, after all the service cuts. You should have no problem getting through the airport in no time. I recall it was a gloomy kind of space, but it gets the job done

Enjoy your trip!

I am (maybe in the minority?) who would consider AZ for transatlantic travel, especially if I can get into the forward cabin
Of Skyteam AZ is, in my view, one of the better J flyers on long haul especially if flying new A330

Much better than KL, and on par with AF (just travelled J on A380 and have to say it was very good on AF..)

AZ is fine - the more you fly with other airlines and the more you realise just that^
Old Aug 25, 2011, 5:16 am

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by terminalfive
Of Skyteam AZ is, in my view, one of the better J flyers on long haul especially if flying new A330

Much better than KL, and on par with AF (just travelled J on A380 and have to say it was very good on AF..)

AZ is fine - the more you fly with other airlines and the more you realise just that^
+1. I completely agree.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 5:29 am

Programs: Too many
Have a read of my post in this forum called "my alitalia experiences", just recently last month on a few different legs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.