Wiki Posts
Search

Adding Return Flight to One-Way Award

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2016, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Adding Return Flight to One-Way Award

My apologies if this has been asked and answered but:

If I add a return flight to an existing one-way business class award (U.S. to Italy), will I have to pay an additional 48,000 miles (the cost of a one-way award) or only 32,000 miles (the difference between a RT award and a one-way award)?

Thank you.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 5:11 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
You can't change a one-way award into a return award. Neither you can cancel the one-way award...

You can only book an additional one-way for your return at the one-way redemption price.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
You can't change a one-way award into a return award. Neither you can cancel the one-way award...

You can only book an additional one-way for your return at the one-way redemption price.
Okay, that's what I suspected. Thank you for answering my question, AR.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
but that's not entirely correct. You CAN, provided there is availability on both segments. What they have to do is cancel, redeposit and reissue...
Old Nov 15, 2016, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
but that's not entirely correct. You CAN, provided there is availability on both segments. What they have to do is cancel, redeposit and reissue...
A cancellation of an MM award is excluded:
Is it possible to cancel an award ticketalready issued?
It is not allowed to cancel an issued award ticket and get the miles back. In case of non-use of the ticket, during its validity, you can only request the refund of taxes and fuel surcharge, except for the service fee required for flights not operated by Alitalia.
I highly doubt that such a change falls under the chapter 'changes':
Can I change an award ticket that has already been issued?
Yes, during its validity period, by contacting the Customer Service of your Club.
For tickets issued from August 1, 2016: You can change the date and time of flights at any time before the flight departure without a fee, and afterward by paying a fee of EUR 55 or 5,000 miles. However, if you wish to change the beneficiary, itinerary or service class, you will be required to pay EUR 55 or 5,000 miles before the departure date.
https://www.google.ch/url?sa=t&rct=j...iMQi6g&cad=rja

@ bostontraveler
Did you successful change an one-way award into an return award with Millemiglia?
Old Nov 19, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Alitalia does not cancel and redeposit.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
I just did this last week but it wasn't voluntary but due to a flight cancellation so I could be mistaken... in this case they redeposited the miles and refunded me before reissuing the ticket.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 6:46 am

I just did this last week but it wasn't voluntary but due to a flight cancellation so I could be mistaken... in this case they redeposited the miles and refunded me before reissuing the ticket.
Then it does not count for a voluntary change!
Old Nov 22, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
They don't redeposit miles even in this case. If you are reprotected, you need to have award class available on the repro flight, and it is handled as a change.

You might SEE a redeposit transaction on your statement, but it did not really happen.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by raistlin
They don't redeposit miles even in this case. If you are reprotected, you need to have award class available on the repro flight, and it is handled as a change.

You might SEE a redeposit transaction on your statement, but it did not really happen.
Yes, I think I understand that but thanks for the information.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 5:32 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy PE; Hilton Diamond
Here's another scenario: I'm trying to book a one way flight from YYZ-ATH in business class. When I try to book the one way online there is no business class availability. However, when I book each segment separately YYZ-FCO FCO - ATH -- there is business class on each individual segment.

Can I book the YYZ-FCO for 48,000 and then try to just add the FCO-ATH?
Old Dec 20, 2016, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
And another scenario: Alitalia have changed several return tickets into one-ways, or even entirely obliterated said itineraries. Is there any way to add back the return legs that have been cancelled?

Old Dec 20, 2016, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Sam_AE
Here's another scenario: I'm trying to book a one way flight from YYZ-ATH in business class. When I try to book the one way online there is no business class availability. However, when I book each segment separately YYZ-FCO FCO - ATH -- there is business class on each individual segment.

Unfortunately not. You would have to pay for both separately.

If you can get to FCO on the exact date that you want, then book that - and worry about getting onwards to ATH separately. i.e. on a separate ticket (doesn't even have to be Alitalia), allowing PLENTY of time between flights so that you can retrieve your bag and check it in for the next flight, even in case of delay to your flight, or delay in returning bags/need to file a missing baggage report at FCO.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy PE; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Sam_AE

After calling Alitalia about a dozen times, I found a somewhat knowledgeable agent. She claims that there is separate inventory for "transit" flights versus booking separate segments. This is why the business class flight didn't show up when I tried to book YYZ-ATH because there are no "transit" flights available for that itinerary. Not sure if any of this is true???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.