Wiki Posts
Search

Award prices doubled

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2016, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH&BA
Award prices doubled

Several blogs report that award prices (miles) doubled overnight.

Link1

Link2

I do hope that this is just a glitch but reminds me of other programs.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 6:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

There is def something wrong.

Pricing out one-way US-Rome shows 30k on AZ Y, 50k in Skyteam Y, and millions for business class.

I like that they are moving to booking partner flights online, but there is def a glitch in the pricing... or perhaps it will be dynamic pricing (like Delta, ugh).
Old Oct 16, 2016, 6:16 pm
tsz

Looks like AZ metal isn't affected, but award prices for partners did double overnight. They even posted a new award chart.

Link
Old Oct 16, 2016, 6:52 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Looks like the same number of miles as before for the awards I want.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 10:11 pm

I've seen conflicting reports that this is in effect now or on Nov 15... anyone have good DPs as to which it is? http://milecards.com/1588416254/alit...-you-book-now/
Old Oct 17, 2016, 12:06 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by bodiddely
I've seen conflicting reports that this is in effect now or on Nov 15... anyone have good DPs as to which it is? http://milecards.com/1588416254/alit...-you-book-now/
The article to which you linked is from 2014.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 6:05 am

I originally thought the new partner table was a typo and meant to say andata/ritorno instead of solo andata, but looking at dummy bookings it's not. So to summarise:

Negatives
---- Huge, crazy increase in partner flight prices. EU-USA now 200k return instead of 80k.

Positives
+++ Alitalia prices remain the same for now

Positives if you have plenty of miles
+ Partners can now be booked online
+ One-way partner awards are now possible
+ Connections are still included, so some partner award prices are still 'ok' value compared to other programmes

Personally it's not a disaster for me. I was hoping to book something on Delta which is now out the window, but I wasn't ready to book anything before 14 Oct and I can still get good value on Alitalia, so I'll take that.

Last edited by Ldnn1; Oct 17, 2016 at 9:44 am
Old Oct 18, 2016, 4:01 am

Programs: FB Plat, *A Silver, Volare Exec (LOL), some hotels (Gold)
apparently this has (also) to do with the move to sabre. yesterday I called the CFP line and they were between desperate and not knowledgeable.

to translate it: in theory there are some mistakes that *should* be corrected. in practice, no one knows for sure.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by straniero
apparently this has (also) to do with the move to sabre.
That would have nothing to do with it.

They haven't had to change their cash prices because of the move to Sabre.

Pricing decisions are entirely separate to the GDS used or the manner of "selling" the tickets.

The decision to increase the prices for some rewards has nothing to do with the migration to Sabre.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
That would have nothing to do with it.

They haven't had to change their cash prices because of the move to Sabre.

Pricing decisions are entirely separate to the GDS used or the manner of "selling" the tickets.

The decision to increase the prices for some rewards has nothing to do with the migration to Sabre.
unless they had to change the way they file prices and did so incorrectly, in which case not Sabre´s fault but potentially caused by the migration
Old Oct 18, 2016, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yapak2
unless they had to change the way they file prices and did so incorrectly, in which case not Sabre´s fault but potentially caused by the migration
If these new levels were an award-engine "bug", then they would not be shown as the standard rates coded into the new multicarrier award chart.

These rates are the correct, intended values. Note that the values refer to one-way journeys only!

50k miles oneway, 100k miles return in Economy for Europe-North America;
100k miles oneway, 200k miles return in Business for Europe-North America.

Tough luck if you have to fly to somewhere in the US that is not one of the (very few) Alitalia-served destinations as you cannot then avail of the lower rates of the Alitalia-only table.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 18, 2016, 12:14 pm

Also the AZ metal award is working strange.
For example. for a FCO-ICN r/t direct flight on AZ metal now the webiste asks 60k miles only for the outbound/inbound leg (the same as award on partners...) and not 40k miles.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suspect that, like Etihad do in their programme, that variable pricing of awards may be at play (so the advertised rates are "starting from" prices).
Old Oct 18, 2016, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I suspect that, like Etihad do in their programme, that variable pricing of awards may be at play (so the advertised rates are "starting from" prices).
Yes I think so. The difference is on the Etihad interface the low price is shown in the separate GuestSeat column, whereas on the new AZ interface the standard column has both low and higher priced awards in it.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
This is insane! I lost so many miles!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.