Wiki Posts
Search

EU261 Claim with positive outcome

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB plat for life
EU261 Claim with positive outcome

Rather than just complaining on the forum, a - relatively and tentatively - positive AZ customer service experience:

On July 23, we (wife, 3 kids, me) were travelling PMO-FCO-AMS on KL issued tickets, KL flight numbers but PMO-FCO on AZ metal.

After a real bad checkin experience that is not relevant here, the PMO-FCO fight was delayed more than an hour, causing us - and at least 20 others - to miss the FCO-AMS flight. Our original FCO-AMS flight was scheduled for 17:25 - there was a later KL flight at 21:05.

We were welcomed at the gate by an agent, telling us we were rebooked to the next day's 6AM AZ flight. I told the agent we preferred the 9pm but was told that was impossible and to stay with the group.

Obviously, l left and went to the nearest AZ transfer desk meanwhile calling the KL Plat line in AMS. After some discussion we were rebooked on the 9pm flight and the KL Plat desk even checked us in, and email me the boarding passes.

Most of the other pax were not on the 9pm flight and there were still seats so lots (families too) had to spend the night in Rome and get up for a 6am departure.

We arrived that night in AMS around 23:25 in stead of 20:00 and our luggage was not there - but it arrived the next day and was delivered the same sunday afternoon to our home.

I filed an EU261 claim for 5 x EUR 400 (more than 3 hours late on a >1500 km flight) with KL but they told me the operating carrier was the one to file with. Correct it turned out.
Filed again with AZ and within 48 hours a confirmation of my email. Then 3 weeks nothing, then note stating it was weather related (which it was not). I email back stating it was nonsense and that I wanted a confirmation before Sept 1 that they were going to pay or I would escalate this to the national agency.

Within 24 hours a phone call from Italy to apologise and to confirm they were going to follow EU guidelines and pay EUR 2,000 to us. Just that we needed to fill out 2 forms - one for minors and one for my wife (different last name) that they could transfer it all into my bank account.

Those forms are on the way back now - so - assuming the bank transfer will also be made - not such a bad show from Alitalia, although they obviously tried to discourage me. And they should have given us the EU regulations upon arrival.

Anyway - my 2 cents.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by pjhartog
We were welcomed at the gate by an agent, telling us we were rebooked to the next day's 6AM AZ flight. I told the agent we preferred the 9pm but was told that was impossible and to stay with the group.

Obviously, l left and went to the nearest AZ transfer desk meanwhile calling the KL Plat line in AMS. After some discussion we were rebooked on the 9pm flight and the KL Plat desk even checked us in, and email me the boarding passes.

Most of the other pax were not on the 9pm flight and there were still seats so lots (families too) had to spend the night in Rome and get up for a 6am departure.
That is of no surprise, I've had similar experience with AZ claiming it is not possible to put me on the next FCO-AMS flight, took a while and a supervisor but they have eventually done it... and there were still empty seats on the plane...
Old Aug 22, 2016, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

perhaps no surprise knowing this - but AZ should handle it differently and less vocal pax should not need to convert into 'our kind' in order to get out on the next avaalalbe flight.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:41 am
Original Poster

A final - closing - remark - today I received EUR 2,000 in my bank account, so AZ did what they told me they would do.
Personally, I rate this as one of my better experiences with airlines handling complaints.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
Nice outcome indeed! Is there a place (either on Flyertalk or some other website) that spells out EU261 guidelines in a compact and easy way? I'm almost looking for EU261 for dummies.

I have a flight booked via Flying Blue miles going BCN-FCO-ORD operated by AZ on both segments. If for any reason I am delayed/cancelled, is AZ responsible as the operating carrier or AF since it is on their ticket stock? I'm hoping not to need it, but want to be armed with the facts before I need them. Thanks!
Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
You always claim from the operating carrier.

All you need to know is that the airlines have a duty of care towards you and, in case of cancellation or long delay, you should be rebooked as soon as possible (or, indeed, much later if you prefer to delay your trip) with accommodation/transport/meals provided where necessary.

Whether or not the the payment of compensation as regards the late arrival on your rebooked flight becomes necessary is something you would have to claim after the fact - so no point in worrying about something that probably will never happen.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:35 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Well, thank you for the feedbacks because I'm going to fill one very soon.

I was flying LHR-FCO-BRI. The LHR->FCO got delayed (slightly late aircraft + queue at LHR). I arrived too late to the gate for the flight to BRI, it was the last of the night so taking the first one tomorrow morning and staying overnight at the Marriott near FCO (courtesy of Alitalia).
It was clearly not weather related so I will fill one when I get back.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Mirk
Well, thank you for the feedbacks because I'm going to fill one very soon.

I was flying LHR-FCO-BRI. The LHR->FCO got delayed (slightly late aircraft + queue at LHR). I arrived too late to the gate for the flight to BRI, it was the last of the night so taking the first one tomorrow morning and staying overnight at the Marriott near FCO (courtesy of Alitalia).
It was clearly not weather related so I will fill one when I get back.
The important question here is why was the inbound flight late, as this will determine whether or not compensation is due.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.