Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Improvements to on-board service

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2015, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Improvements to on-board service

Not really a breaking news as such, however I thought to provide some feedback further to a recent flight. Moreover, the Alitalia website (at least the Italian version) has only recently been altered to reflect/advertise the above - here's a brief rundown:

Business Class

On my last flight (AZ491 WAW-FCO), I was given a welcome drink whilst still on the ground and was even offered a refill before our 320 got pushed from gate 26. The friendly yet professional chief-attendant served the hot meal (no trolley) roughly half-an-hour after take-off and she asked a few times whether I was happy with the food and if I fancied another portion; I was also offered a drink refill.

Economy Class

[From alitalia.com/it]

Either a sandwich or a piece of cake (depending on the time) offered on services between 2 & 3 hours;
Re-introduction of alcoholic drinks (beer & wine);
Revised offering on flights over 3 hours: the tray will contain a sandwich and a piece of cake, without the individually wrapped food/fruit bowls.

G
Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:30 am

Programs: FB Plat, *A Silver, Volare Exec (LOL), some hotels (Gold)
I just flew CDG-FCO and return in Y and indeed got a sandwich (not bad, I dare to say even tasteful albeit a bit cold ). Also wines and beers on board.

Exceptional crew on the return flight. Fingers crossed!
Old Nov 12, 2015, 3:04 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Due the current Lufthansa strike and the previous one in September I've been rebooked onto AZ and flew with them 4 segments, all intra Euro.
I did actually notice an improvement of the general experience, with apparently more attentive FAs, a better executed service (an finally a decent sandwich) and the reinstating of the drink and snack cart also on the short FCO-NAP hop, cut down in the recent years as far as I remember.

Now dunno if the downhill service of LH world helps to see things rose-painted or it's a real step up.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 6:29 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Good to hear that some of the Etihad investment and retraining of FA's are starting to show.

My last flight with them - especially the removal of the alcoholic drinks was really the point of no return to fly with them - now at least I know I can choose them again for intraEU flights without thinking that I was flying with a pseudo LCC. [does help as now I can get more options in flight times rather than try to catch the KLM operated ones].

Hopefully long haul service will also see an improvement.

Cheers!
Old Nov 12, 2015, 9:59 am
Original Poster

EN website now updated.

http://www.alitalia.com/gb_en/news/b...dium-haul.html

G
Old Nov 13, 2015, 1:20 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Very good news, Alitalia has been improving its catering continuously for a while and the fact they are doing that on short-haul (in direct opposition to most European carriers) makes them more appealing. Well done!
Old Nov 13, 2015, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Apart from the omelette sandwich and the can of Moretti now available also to those travelling on the back of the bus, I believe that the most significant step towards becoming a different airline is the overall constantly improving service both on-board and on the ground, which I am sure hasn't gone unnoticed, mainly amongst the most frequent passengers.

For those into statistics, our 319 operating the 490 service to Warsaw this morning had roughly 10 passengers (nearly full) in C: being on that particular flight/class on a regular basis, it was a rather uncommon event, even though I suspect that this was strictly related to the strikes currently affecting DLH AG's guests

G
Old Nov 14, 2015, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Useful to know it is an omelette sandwich. It's...unusual. The breakfast chocolate pastry is pretty good though.

Being able to have a beer or glass of wine on an evening flight is definitely a civilised step and almost all of the crew I have flown with have been super friendly and helpful.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 9:26 am
Original Poster

I briefly popped-in to the Borromini lounge on my way to London from Warsaw earlier on and the lady attending the main desk asked me whether I was okay to answer a couple of questions: she asked if I recently had any bad experience with Alitalia both on board and on the ground and also enquired whether I liked the food offered in business class on my flight to Rome; she also asked for some feedback concerning the overall service (food etc.) in the lounges. A nice touch to a pleasant afternoon, together with an extremely rare experience ahead of the 208 service to Heathrow, which boarded straight from the air-bridge through gate G3 and without the usual 20 minutes bus tour to the other side of the airport - result! Greetings from [delayed] EI-DTE, which is still boarding.

G
Old Nov 15, 2015, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
A nice touch to a pleasant afternoon
P.S.: I wish I hadn't said anything - the Captain advised that, due to traffic restrictions at LHR, we will be departing at least an hour later. Ah well...

G
Old Nov 15, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hopefully long haul service will also see an improvement.
Long haul service in business class has consistently been excellent since privatization at very least. In economy I don't hear loud screams from the back of the bus, but that might be because I'm too busy sipping prosecco...
Old Nov 16, 2015, 2:44 am

Programs: * Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Apart from the omelette sandwich and the can of Moretti now available also to those travelling on the back of the bus, I believe that the most significant step towards becoming a different airline is the overall constantly improving service both on-board and on the ground, which I am sure hasn't gone unnoticed, mainly amongst the most frequent passengers.

For those into statistics, our 319 operating the 490 service to Warsaw this morning had roughly 10 passengers (nearly full) in C: being on that particular flight/class on a regular basis, it was a rather uncommon event, even though I suspect that this was strictly related to the strikes currently affecting DLH AG's guests

G
I also was on this very flight (AZ 490) and class (C) on friday and was rather happy to see 2 cheerful and very attentive flight attendants serving PDB, newspapers and magazines. regarding the meal... well I must say I was a bit underwhelmed. It looked like an enhanced tray of what was served before during in between regular meal times. The parmegiano was chewy and the grilled pumpkin slice was absolutely tasteless. The rest was ok.

On yesterday AZ 491 (WAW-FCO) I was the only one in the cabin. Service was ok and so was the hot lunch: pasta with tomato sauce, mixed salad and a tiny piece of apricot cake. PDB served and pre lunch "aperitivo" drink served too.

I was impressed by the Borromini lounge breakfast buffet though. Very nice choice of pastries and cold cuts. Hot options were omelet and bacon.

I'll be flying to NCE next week and shall report on the inflight service on this short flight if some are interested about it!
Old Nov 16, 2015, 5:22 am
Original Poster

@FCO36 -

I actually enjoyed the meal on Friday, but that's probably because I was absolutely starving (I did connect from AZ317 from CDG and hadn't eaten any breakfast both in Paris & Rome). I do agree on the friendly yet professional chief attendant. We must have also been in the lounge at the very same time then (I noticed the hot breakfast option near the bar but decided not to go for it and enjoy the meal on board instead).

G
Old Nov 17, 2015, 2:58 am

Programs: * Gold, BA Gold
I like the Borromini lounge and actually prefer it to the Dolce Vita which can be a noisy mess. And the chairs are so "scomodi"!

Here's a picture of the breakfast buffet at Borromini last friday

Old Nov 17, 2015, 3:15 am
Original Poster

...and here's the very same lounge Sunday lunch time:

G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.