Alitalia's CEO resigns

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2015, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Alitalia's CEO resigns

Citing "personal reasons," Alitalia's CEO resigned

Alitalia’s CEO Resigns
DSC_0053Alitalia announced that its chief executive resigned for personal reasons early Friday. The move comes at a critical period in the airline’s turnaround in a partnership with Etihad Airways....

<SNIP>
Above appeared in FBT, where I serve as Ed.Dir.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: FB Plat, *A Silver, Volare Exec (LOL), some hotels (Gold)
Alitalia's CEO resigns

the rotten apples won again
Old Sep 19, 2015, 8:39 am

[Slightly OT] That also means that we could soon be seeing [yet] another livery Hopefully, though, they'll not get rid of planes with the [unintentional] retro livery: I flew WAW-LIN on EI-IMD (former I-BIMD) last week and what a wonderful blast from the past that was! [/Slightly OT]

G
Old Sep 19, 2015, 9:57 pm

Actually I think this is very good news. Etihad is tightening the grip on Alitalia in order to get rid of the rotten apples.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 10:12 pm

As long as the new CEO keep the lasagna they serve in F I'll be fine. Literally one of the best in flight meals I've ever had. I'm not sure why though, because I probably wouldn't go near it on the ground!
Old Sep 20, 2015, 11:10 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
what are those rotten apples in AZ ?
Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by fifty_two
Flight attendants who behave like they're doing you a favor. AZ is loaded with them.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by fifty_two
Apple, rather: the heavy involvement of unions & politics.

G
Old Sep 21, 2015, 4:56 am

Programs: FB Plat, *A Silver, Volare Exec (LOL), some hotels (Gold)
Originally Posted by franxit
Flight attendants who behave like they're doing you a favor. AZ is loaded with them.
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Apple, rather: the heavy involvement of unions & politics.
exactly this and that. the powers of the unions are so high that it is almost impossible to fire all the bad employees, who in exchange just don't bother if they provide a miserable experience to the customer: their job is safe no matter what.

The additional issue is that the politics has such a deep interest in Alitalia (to put it simply, happy people in ADR and AZ = more votes) that hoping for a bankrupt and new start (Swiss style) is impossible.

If this does not change, and it's frankly difficult to imagine such a huge change in Italy, nothing and no one will ever save the company. And that is a pity, at least for all the very good people who really love their job and are mortified when they hear about the bad experiences customers have.

Welcome to Italy: come and enjoy a 4th world experience in the middle of Europe.

(for all italian speaking folks, there is an Italian forum dedicated to civil aviation that provides some very good insight on all these issues. But beware, don't get there if you don't want to get angry).
Old Sep 22, 2015, 6:22 pm

Programs: Etihad Platinum, Alitalia FRECCIA ALATA
Originally Posted by straniero
exactly this and that. the powers of the unions are so high that it is almost impossible to fire all the bad employees, who in exchange just don't bother if they provide a miserable experience to the customer: their job is safe no matter what.

The additional issue is that the politics has such a deep interest in Alitalia (to put it simply, happy people in ADR and AZ = more votes) that hoping for a bankrupt and new start (Swiss style) is impossible.

If this does not change, and it's frankly difficult to imagine such a huge change in Italy, nothing and no one will ever save the company. And that is a pity, at least for all the very good people who really love their job and are mortified when they hear about the bad experiences customers have.

Welcome to Italy: come and enjoy a 4th world experience in the middle of Europe.

(for all italian speaking folks, there is an Italian forum dedicated to civil aviation that provides some very good insight on all these issues. But beware, don't get there if you don't want to get angry).
This is what scares me. Etihad is coming from a none unionized environment which has lots of benefits as you can imagine. AZ is a complete opposite I personally think this will turn out to be 1st invest that will go negative in the long list of positive ones for EY and I also see them leaving. I'm sure slots that AZ owns might have looked lucrative to EY but the Italians, unions and attitude that comes with it is going to turn sore.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 6:23 pm

Programs: Etihad Platinum, Alitalia FRECCIA ALATA
Originally Posted by franxit
+1
Old Sep 22, 2015, 11:36 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by a310pilot
+1
^

However, when I visited the Expo Alitalia/Etihad booth and the lounge, spoke to one of the Alitalia agent at the lounge reception area, she was actually one of the rare one with optimistic hope that with the partnership the airline will improve. Again, she was one of the exceptional one. I related to her the few experiences I had especially with her fellow colleagues onboard, she was shocked and she did try very hard to convince me that things will change for the better. Told me to try them again soon, as she said training is now given by Etihad to improve service.
After talking to her, it does seem like there are still some hope left. Too bad she is a ground agent (LIN based).

Let's see how it goes with AZ from here, we should expect to see some results hopefully, like what it did to Air Serbia.

Cheers!
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert
^

However, when I visited the Expo Alitalia/Etihad booth and the lounge, spoke to one of the Alitalia agent at the lounge reception area, she was actually one of the rare one with optimistic hope that with the partnership the airline will improve. Again, she was one of the exceptional one. I related to her the few experiences I had especially with her fellow colleagues onboard, she was shocked and she did try very hard to convince me that things will change for the better. Told me to try them again soon, as she said training is now given by Etihad to improve service.
After talking to her, it does seem like there are still some hope left. Too bad she is a ground agent (LIN based).

Let's see how it goes with AZ from here, we should expect to see some results hopefully, like what it did to Air Serbia.

Cheers!
Recent experiences (several short-haul flights as I'm literally currently commuting between the UK, Italy & Poland) were actually good (even on the ground, the ladies at the lounge were brilliant), not to mention flights pretty much always on time (I'm also noticing really good load factors, as well - FCO-LHR/WAW/LIN/AMS being the main routes flown at the moment). I think the main issue stands with some/many probably long haul crews who seem to have lost their will to live and that's something that, if I were in charge, I'd want to sort out sooner rather than later because that's where 'ze' money come from.

G
Old Oct 20, 2015, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nldogbert
^

Cheers!
Would this agent have a name beginning with A? If so, she is lovely indeed.

AZ really picked the cream of the crop for expo. Its bizarre there is NO onboard announcement that AZ have a pavilion at expo in addition to the sales pitch .
Old Oct 21, 2015, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by hugolover
AZ really picked the cream of the crop for expo. Its bizarre there is NO onboard announcement that AZ have a pavilion at expo in addition to the sales pitch .
And thank goodness for that!

Unnecessary/extraneous on-board announcements are a peeve of mine, and many others, I expect.

Anyone who is interested will probably discover this via the Alitalia website, the in-flight magazine, or at the Expo itself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.