Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > ITA Airways | Volare > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

Passport Control at MXP: Scan, Stamp, Both or Neither?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2015, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank

My son just arrived at Malpensa for his study abroad program and he says that the officer neither scanned or stamped his passport (he just briefly looked at it and gave it back). Is this unusual?
I am wondering if he is ever questioned (in either italy or elsewhere in schengen) as to why there is no evidence of his arrival into europe, whether his story that it wasn't stamped or scanned will be credible?
Old Jul 17, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ

Reading from inphone I can t see where he / u come from
Old Jul 17, 2015, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
from the US
Old Jul 23, 2015, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Does your son have some kind of visa (whether electronic, or a physical sticker in his passport) related to/required by his study programme, or did he arrive solely on the basis of the 90 day visa-free access to Schengen extended to all US passport holders?

How long is he expected to remain in the EU?
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by frank_10b
My son just arrived at Malpensa for his study abroad program and he says that the officer neither scanned or stamped his passport (he just briefly looked at it and gave it back). Is this unusual?
I am wondering if he is ever questioned (in either italy or elsewhere in schengen) as to why there is no evidence of his arrival into europe, whether his story that it wasn't stamped or scanned will be credible?
They don't have to "scan" it. Opening up the cover will allow the security chip in the passport to be read without need of "swiping" it like used to be done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.