Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > ITA Airways | Volare > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

checked baggage AA-AZ at FCO; and standing by for earlier AZ flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:52 am
Original Poster

(a) I have a 3-hour transfer from AA international to AZ domestic at FCO. Any reason to worry about checking baggage through?

(b) We can do carry-on only, which has the possible advantage that we could catch an earlier flight. An earlier flight exists, but with a 40-min connection time so we'd have to be lucky. If we manage to arrive at the gate before the door closes and there are empty seats, will they let us on the earlier flight? If there is a change fee, is it possible to determine how much? We don't want to run through the airport if there is zero chance of getting on or if the cost is unreasonable. I could not find the relevant rules on AZ's web pages.

Many thanks!
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:24 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
(a) I have a 3-hour transfer from AA international to AZ domestic at FCO. Any reason to worry about checking baggage through?

(b) We can do carry-on only, which has the possible advantage that we could catch an earlier flight. An earlier flight exists, but with a 40-min connection time so we'd have to be lucky. If we manage to arrive at the gate before the door closes and there are empty seats, will they let us on the earlier flight? If there is a change fee, is it possible to determine how much? We don't want to run through the airport if there is zero chance of getting on or if the cost is unreasonable. I could not find the relevant rules on AZ's web pages.

Many thanks!
In my experience I would say that at FCO making a 40 min connection is near impossible I/D.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
In my experience I would say that at FCO making a 40 min connection is near impossible I/D.
Assuming an on-time arrival, with checked luggage: no way!

Assuming an on-time arrival, without checked luggage: Only if you're not bussed to the terminal, have sat right next to the plane exit, immigration desk is empty (0 min. wait), and just bump everybody who stands on your way when you run airside to T1. Chances are close, but not equal to zero! Say around 1% that you make it...
Old Jul 14, 2015, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I realize that making the connection is hugely unlikely unless the incoming flight is early and/or the outgoing flight is late.

But that was not, in fact, my question(s).
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Yes, I realize that making the connection is hugely unlikely unless the incoming flight is early and/or the outgoing flight is late.

But that was not, in fact, my question(s).
OK, then let's look at your questions:

1) Any reason to worry about checking baggage through?

Depends on how anxious a person you are. With many flights through Rome, I've never had a piece of luggage lost at FCO, although I know people who have, often with short connections. Everything one reads is, indeed, anecdotal (if a piece is lost at FCO, "typical", if lost at ZRH "bad luck"). Are there bona fide stats comparing FCO to other airports? There may be, but I wouldn't know where to find them.

2) ...will they let us on the earlier flight?

Impossible for anyone to say without knowing the details of your ticket.

3) If there is a change fee, is it possible to determine how much?

Same answer as above.

Statement: We don't want to run through the airport if there is zero chance of getting on

This is what we both commented on. If you know that, even if on time, it will be almost impossible to make it, why bother?

Last edited by KLouis; Jul 14, 2015 at 8:48 pm
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:30 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by KLouis
OK, then let's look at your questions:

1) Any reason to worry about checking baggage through?

Depends on how anxious a person you are. With many flights through Rome, I've never had a piece of luggage lost at FCO, although I know people who have, often with short connections. Everything one reads is, indeed, anecdotal (if a piece is lost at FCO, "typical", if lost at ZRH "bad luck"). Are there bona fide stats comparing FCO to other airports? There may be, but I wouldn't know where to find them.

2) ...will they let us on the earlier flight?

Impossible for anyone to say without knowing the details of your ticket.

3) If there is a change fee, is it possible to determine how much?

Same answer as above.

Statement: We don't want to run through the airport if there is zero chance of getting on

This is what we both commented on. If you know that, even if on time, it will be almost impossible to make it, why bother?
I agree with KLouis that no chance of 40 min really. I would add to point 2 that AZ is usually more lenient in my experience to people taking a different flight, especially if the later one would have been full/overbooked. Helps if you have high status and speak Italian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.