Wiki Posts
Search

Security (lack of) on frequent flyer account

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Security (lack of) on frequent flyer account

I recently signed up to MilleMiglia and was surprised to find that they emailed me a PIN ... and was even more surprised to find that they will send you a PIN reminder !

This suggests that they are not storing PINs in a secure way.

Beware that if they get hacked, your PIN will be there for the taking !
Old Jul 9, 2015, 9:01 am

Programs: AY-G, TK*S, AB-S, EY, LH, DL, UA, BA, AA, all hotel programmes
well, you need to have access to the e-mail account that you used to sign up to that flyer account. Not very safe, true...
Old Jul 10, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA - Silver,Hilton-Diamond, IHG - PlatAmb, GHA - Plat
But they don't include the account number in the email, which contains the PIN number, in fact they don't email the Account number at any stage of the process..

Also when retrieving your Pin you have to provide your account number and surname,,

So the hacker has to have access to where you store YOUR account number, your email account and know what to look for...

If it comes to this then you are the security risk, and you have probably got a keylogger / Trojan installed
Old Jul 22, 2015, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by atmorris
But they don't include the account number in the email, which contains the PIN number, in fact they don't email the Account number at any stage of the process..

Also when retrieving your Pin you have to provide your account number and surname,,

So the hacker has to have access to where you store YOUR account number, your email account and know what to look for...

If it comes to this then you are the security risk, and you have probably got a keylogger / Trojan installed

my point is that they are clearly holding my PIN in their systems - so a rogue employee or hacker will be able to extract all my details ...

compare that to google/facebook etc. who never email you your password - because they are not held in easily extractable format waiting for a hacker to hoover up my information ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.