Wiki Posts
Search

25% minimum earned miles?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2015, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion, AC, BA, CX, DL, SPG, Fairmont,
25% minimum earned miles?

Hi. First of all, I did a search and couldn't find any information on this, so I apologize if I didn't search enough.

A few years ago, I got a mille miglia account just to transfer my amex points to it and then redeem for a flight with air france. It worked well. I haven't used the account since then. It's empty.

Now I want to do the same thing: transfer points from AMEX and redeem. I called the wonderful AZ call centre and they told me that at least 25% of the miles have to be "earned miles" for a redemption. They said any miles transferred from AMEX are not considered "earned miles". I am supposed to earn by flying AZ or any sky team airline. I haven't found anything about it on their website in the REGULATIONS section for the program. Is this for real? Or is the call centre rep wrong?

Please, someone, help.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 2:53 pm

As odd as this may sound (based on past experiences & people's general perception of AZ customer service), the call centre advisor was correct:

http://www.alitalia.com/it_en/millem...lia/index.html

You need to scroll down to the awards with purchased or transferred miles section.

G

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Feb 13, 2015 at 3:00 pm
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion, AC, BA, CX, DL, SPG, Fairmont,
Thanks. I checked that link. However, it seems to me that "purchased or transferred miles" in this link refers to miles either purchased or transferred between members (i.e. from one millemiglia member to another). It says that 25% must be "earned" with Alitalia or "Partners". Elsewhere on the site American Express is referred to as "financial partner". I am confused.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by Poor Pianist
Thanks. I checked that link. However, it seems to me that "purchased or transferred miles" in this link refers to miles either purchased or transferred between members (i.e. from one millemiglia member to another). It says that 25% must be "earned" with Alitalia or "Partners". Elsewhere on the site American Express is referred to as "financial partner". I am confused.
According to the relevant paragraph -

AWARDS WITH PURCHASED OR TRANSFERRED MILES
When booking an award, Alitalia will check your earned and purchased or transferred miles status on your account and the system will consume first the purchased (or transferred) miles up to a maximum of 75% of the miles required for the award. Miles accrued with Alitalia or MilleMiglia Partners will be used for the rest of the total amount of miles required.

The family thingy is mentioned in the previous paragraph.

In doubt, you could always ring again and see what a different operator says.

G
Old Feb 16, 2015, 2:46 pm

I believe AMEX transfers are considered real "earned miles", it's miles bought directly from AZ or transferred from a different MilleMiglia account that aren't valid for more than 75% of awards.

This may have changed, I don't know. +1 on calling again and seeing what a different agent says.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.