Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > ITA Airways | Volare > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

Got bumped from my flight from FCO->NYC, need help on next steps!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Hey everyone, I was bumped 3 weeks ago from my FCO->NYC->SFO flight!

Alitalia then booked me on another flight that went from FCO->CDG->LAX->SFO but I had to spend a night in LAX.

At any rate I read that I was suppose to receive 600 euros in compensation but to this day I still have have not heard back from Alitalia. I have called their customer support line and they said they only respond to emails to [email protected]. I have written to that e-mail several times without even a confirmation that they received it. I resorted to tweeting them but still no contact.

Is there a number I can call? Is there something else I should do? This is driving me nuts!!

Thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:49 am

Programs: FB Plat, *A Silver, Volare Exec (LOL), some hotels (Gold)
Well I do not know the details and never had anything similar happen, but from what I gathered (people I know who had similar occurrences, forums etc.) if you are entitled to reimbursement Alitalia will eventually pay, but it will take months (6 on average?). If you're used to a certain level of service I'm afraid you will have to tone down your expectations .

That said, I hope anyone can prove me wrong and I can only suggest you keep on bumping them as much as you can. Try the facebook page also, they are normally efficient and while they have no power to expedite your request, at least will reply with the status.

If you can't win them, take them out of boredom.

cheers
straniero
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Wow, 6 months! That is incredible but thanks for the information. I guess I will keep e-mailing, tweeting, faxing, and now Facebook'ing them.

Anyone know if there is a phone number I can call?

Can I report them to some EU regulatory body?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by gat89
...Anyone know if there is a phone number I can call?...
Hmmmm, you wrote two posts up that when you called they said you should email.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Do this and then stop.

1. Send a short and concise email to the address which you have been provided. Request compensation under EC 261/2004 for involuntary denied boarding. Stay away from slang such as "bump". All you need is the PNR, date, flight, oprigination and destination. If you were not provided a hotel voucher at LAX, submit your receipt for that as an addition.

2. Do not phone bank. All it does is confuse whoever is working on the matter and it has the effect of restarting the clock every time while people try to figure out if you are making a new claim. Send the one email and be done with it.

It should not take as long, but it does. Complaining to either the EU or the national enforcement authority for Italy is not going to speed this particular thing up.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Often1 - thanks for the advice. It makes me nervous though to to just e-mail them and sit back for a few weeks. Is this a common practice? It's super unsettling to not even know if they received my e-mail. They literally don't respond. Also how will they know where to mail my compensation?

KLouis - sorry I called their reservation line (the only, phone number I could find) but they said I needed to e-mail a different department. I would like to call this department but going off the advice from Often1, perhaps that's not a good idea?

Anyways I again appreciate all the help. Its been a frustrating and agonizing experience but I am glad there are people on this board that have been so willing to help!
Old Jan 24, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
It's common practice from most airlines, so sit back, relax, and wait.

Can you please define bumped? Overbooking?
Old Feb 8, 2015, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by gat89
Often1 - thanks for the advice. It makes me nervous though to to just e-mail them and sit back for a few weeks. Is this a common practice? It's super unsettling to not even know if they received my e-mail. They literally don't respond. Also how will they know where to mail my compensation?

KLouis - sorry I called their reservation line (the only, phone number I could find) but they said I needed to e-mail a different department. I would like to call this department but going off the advice from Often1, perhaps that's not a good idea?

Anyways I again appreciate all the help. Its been a frustrating and agonizing experience but I am glad there are people on this board that have been so willing to help!
There is a reason why Alitalia has been bankrupt so many times--this airline does not understand customer service. As others have posted, email them and be patient. I do sympathize, but none of us are going to change Alitalia's bad practices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.