Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelled Flight - Can I ask for a refund?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:55 am

Programs: BA Silver
Thanks Nick. I imagine they will try to stick to the literal reading of the legislation, but I will fight my corner anyway.

As regards notification v accessing the booking, surely proving access alone still wouldn't be sufficient to prove the customer was aware of the change - it's quite conceivable that someone could log in to make a meal request, choose seating etc and pay no heed to the time of a flight they already think they know. In my case the cancellation was made ages ago apparently and I've been in to the booking (a LONE5) quite a few times but only noticed recently as it's the last flight on my itinerary and I'd no reason to pay any attention to it.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 5:53 pm

Here's my update. It's been more than 3 months since my flight cancellation without notification from Alitalia. I did not receive any response to my fax or letter send priority mail to NY. I have received 2 different email responses, one in August and one in September. Both emails are general apologies from Alitalia stating they have received my claim and are processing it. I did speak to one customer service representative that told me it could take 3-6 months to receive my compensation...time will tell.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 7:09 am

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by debp
Here's my update. It's been more than 3 months since my flight cancellation without notification from Alitalia. I did not receive any response to my fax or letter send priority mail to NY. I have received 2 different email responses, one in August and one in September. Both emails are general apologies from Alitalia stating they have received my claim and are processing it. I did speak to one customer service representative that told me it could take 3-6 months to receive my compensation...time will tell.
debp, post the details on the facebook page. That often speeds up things. Meh
Old Sep 26, 2012, 4:26 pm

Thank you raistlin, I took your advice and left a comment on Alitalia Facebook page. I already received a comment saying they would look into it and get back to me. Hopefully that's true, it's a good start.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 6:03 am

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; it) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Thank you raistlin, I took your advice and left a comment on Alitalia Facebook page. I already received a comment saying they would look into it and get back to me. Hopefully that's true, it's a good start.
My experience is that they are efficient
Old Oct 6, 2012, 7:39 am

Posting on Facebook helped me get a quick response from Alitalia's customer service. Unfortunately, in the email Alitalia sent they (mistakingly?) referenced the date of my travel and said based on the date I was notified more than 2 weeks before my flights were cancelled. Could this be an honest mistake on Alitalia's part? All other emails I received from them had the correct date. I emailed customer service again. After a week with no response I posted on their Facebook page again. Hoping for this to end soon (with compensation) it's been 4 months now.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 12:22 am

Posting on Facebook helped me get a quick response from Alitalia's customer service. Unfortunately, in the email Alitalia sent they (mistakingly?) referenced the date of my travel and said based on the date I was notified more than 2 weeks before my flights were cancelled. Could this be an honest mistake on Alitalia's part? All other emails I received from them had the correct date. I emailed customer service again. After a week with no response I posted on their Facebook page again. Hoping for this to end soon (with compensation) it's been 4 months now.
It's honest incompetence, if that helps you feel better. Keep fighting ;-)
Old Oct 7, 2012, 7:23 am

Thank you raistlin for your continued encouragement...I'm not giving up.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:08 am

Another update, I sent Alitalia's customer service another emailing explaining the mistake they made with the date. This time I also sent the email to a VP, CEO and another executive. The next day I received an email from customer service saying they would reinvestigate my claim. One week later I received another email stating they would be sending me two checks for full compensation. Hopefully the end is near.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 5:57 pm

Finally, I received 2 checks from Alitalia today. It took almost 6 months and many emails, phone calls, etc. but it is all over now. I can't wait to plan my next trip! Thank you all for your advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.