Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > ITA Airways | Volare > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

Alitalia's reputation has this first time flyer to Italy worried.....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alitalia's reputation has this first time flyer to Italy worried.....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2011, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by BAAZ
Really?? So you can't carry mobile phones, small cameras etc etc in checked luggage, but have to have them in hand luggage? I learn something new every day - it's true that I haven't been to the US for several years now.
You can check those items, just not with the lithium batteries.

The concern is the flammability of these batteries and, as far as I know, it's an international rule, not just applicable in the U.S.

Here is a link to an article explaining the basis for the ban:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/205206086
Old Aug 11, 2011, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Can someone please clarify the battery rule regarding cell phones and cameras? I will be taking both on Alitalia and will not have any checked luggage, just a carry on. My camera uses AA batteries and I don't know if the battery in my Blackberry is lithium or not. Am I understanding correctly that I cannot take them if they are not in checked luggage?

Last edited by MSALZ; Aug 11, 2011 at 9:22 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 11, 2011, 9:35 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Originally Posted by MSALZ
Can someone please clarify the battery rule regarding cell phones and cameras? I will be taking both on Alitalia and will not have any checked luggage, just a carry on. My camera uses AA batteries and I don't know if the battery in my Blackberry is lithium or not. Am I understanding correctly that I cannot take them if they are not in checked luggage?

The opposite No problem in hand baggage May be a problem in hcecked baggage So you are good!
Old Aug 11, 2011, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Thanks! After reading the article hyperlinked in a previous post, I realized my error.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:59 am

I made the Milan-JFK-Milan roundtrip in July on the new Airbus 330. The plane, since it's new, is in an excellent condition and the IFE has a wide range of choiches. Cabin crew and food are a hit and miss, but in general I was satisfied with them. Best part of the trip: they didn't loose my bags, and I don't think any others on my flight did
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The rule is not specific to AZ, it's just that lithium batteries may not be checked (they can be brought into the cabin).

Standard AA batteries are not lithium, they're fine.

As long as you bring your Blackberry on board with you (which presumably you will) there will be no problem.

Also, in reality, many lithium batteries are checked, as long as they are small they seem to evade the scrutiny of the scanners.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

If the A300's are newer (and cleaner and in good condition) I will be satisfied that the extra money paid for the Classica Plus section is worth it. I am crabby if I am tired and can't sleep well in coach. Heck, who really can???? These seats are supposed to be wider with greater incline and have a foot rest that pops up. Of course, first class would be awesome but out of my budget! If they only served pretzels and soda, I would be fine with that as long as the seating is more spacious and more comfortable than coach. I need to be coherent when I hit the ground running in Milan and that won't be the case if I don't get "some" sleep. And, taking off on time would be a bonus.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 9:54 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
The rule is not specific to AZ, it's just that lithium batteries may not be checked (they can be brought into the cabin).

Standard AA batteries are not lithium, they're fine.

As long as you bring your Blackberry on board with you (which presumably you will) there will be no problem.

Also, in reality, many lithium batteries are checked, as long as they are small they seem to evade the scrutiny of the scanners.
Hold on, not as bad as that. I just checked the hyperlink (my bolding):

Originally Posted by InformationWeek.com
Starting Jan. 1, airline passengers will no longer be allowed to pack loose lithium batteries in checked luggage, the U.S. Transportation Department's Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration warned late last week.

Instead, passengers will be required to take loose batteries with them in carry-on baggage, packed in plastic bags. The new regulation, which will go into effect in order to lessen the risk of lithium battery fires, won't apply to lithium batteries that are already installed in electronic devices, such as laptops, cell phones, and cameras. Those can be checked in.

Additionally, only two spare rechargeable lithium batteries will be allowed on airplanes per passenger in carry-on bags.
So you're ok unless you're in the habit of carrying around spare separate batteries for your devices, in which case you need to take them (and only two) in your carry-on.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BAAZ
Hold on, not as bad as that. I just checked the hyperlink (my bolding):

So you're ok unless you're in the habit of carrying around spare separate batteries for your devices, in which case you need to take them (and only two) in your carry-on.
BAAZ, thanks for the clarification.

My confusion comes from the fact that I work in the video business and we travel with a lit of lithium batteries that are externally attached to our equipment.

But what is strange, then, is why TSA singled out my bag on the trip I took on AZ JFK-FCO-VCE, when all I had were prosumer walkie-talkies with non-lithium AA batteries...
Old Aug 14, 2011, 3:38 am

If the A300's are newer (and cleaner and in good condition) I will be satisfied that the extra money paid for the Classica Plus section is worth it. I am crabby if I am tired and can't sleep well in coach. Heck, who really can???? These seats are supposed to be wider with greater incline and have a foot rest that pops up. Of course, first class would be awesome but out of my budget! If they only served pretzels and soda, I would be fine with that as long as the seating is more spacious and more comfortable than coach. I need to be coherent when I hit the ground running in Milan and that won't be the case if I don't get "some" sleep. And, taking off on time would be a bonus.
Y+ is porbably a good choice for sleeping thanks to the extra legroom and the cabin is also separate from the Economy section so it might be calmer. However apart from this and the extra miles the premium economy is very similar to the normal economy.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 5:07 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Originally Posted by bungler
Y+ is porbably a good choice for sleeping thanks to the extra legroom and the cabin is also separate from the Economy section so it might be calmer. However apart from this and the extra miles the premium economy is very similar to the normal economy.
+ much bigger TV screen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.