Reload this Page >

Barrow In The Winter Time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barrow In The Winter Time?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2010, 8:28 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Howdy,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but it had so much good info on such a remote area that I had to do it!

Are there any new recommendations on Barrow or even Prudhoe Bay in the winter? With the great fares from the continental US to ANC on AS and DL, not to mention UA right now, I might just go up to Alaska in December to see the land of the midnight sun sometime soon.

Any updated advice would be appreciated! Thanks! ^
Old Jul 29, 2010, 9:16 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by theblakefish
Are there any new recommendations on Barrow or even Prudhoe Bay in the winter? With the great fares from the continental US to ANC on AS and DL, not to mention UA right now, I might just go up to Alaska in December to see the land of the midnight sun sometime soon.
It sounds like you don't realize that the "land of the midnight sun" in June is the "land of the daytime darkness" in December. Very little daylight in Barrow in December. In fact, the sun never rises in Barrow in December. You have about 3 hours of "twilight" each day in December.

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp
Old Jul 29, 2010, 9:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by theblakefish
Howdy,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but it had so much good info on such a remote area that I had to do it!

Any updated advice would be appreciated! Thanks! ^
The further north you go, the better the chance of seeing the aurora - which is the best reason to go to Alaska during the winter. If you're there at the right time, the aurora around Barrow or better, Prudhoe Bay, will be stunning - if it's at a lull, at least you're still see something around Barrow or Prudhoe Bay, while Fairbanks won't have anything.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The further north you go, the better the chance of seeing the aurora - which is the best reason to go to Alaska during the winter. If you're there at the right time, the aurora around Barrow or better, Prudhoe Bay, will be stunning - if it's at a lull, at least you're still see something around Barrow or Prudhoe Bay, while Fairbanks won't have anything.
Actually, I'm not sure about that. Check out this post I made recently in another thread:

Originally Posted by jackal
I would think you could easily "see" everything there is to see in BRW without hiring a guide. If you can find one cheap, it might be worth it, but there's not much to the tourism aside from the monument at the point. I'm not sure about the bear-watching, though--you may want someone who knows where they hang out to show you, but you should probably make sure they'll even be in the area when you're there (for a portion of the year, they spend their time out on the pack ice).

As for the Northern Lights, take a look at the auroral oval at http://www.gedds.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/. The aurora is not a solid cap (yarmukle?) on the top of the world--it's a ring (i.e. you won't see anything over the North Pole). You can see that both BRW and FAI are about equidistant from the centerline of the ring. What that means is that northern lights viewing is not going to be any better from BRW than it is from FAI, and indeed, the weather in FAI is generally a lot clearer than on the gloomy, overcast North Slope. Unless you have a desperate need to see polar bears in BRW and say you've been to the northernmost point in the U.S., save yourself the money and stick to FAI instead. A nice weekend at Chena Hot Springs is the perfect cure for whatever ails you--watch the lights dance above your head as you soak in hot mineral waters. (Well, you might have to get away from the pool to see anything, depending on the artificial lights in the pool area and the amount of steam generated by the water...)

About the best place to see the lights is right on the centerline of the ring in Fort Yukon, but talk about expensive to get to!

Also, you may find information in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...nter-time.html
Now, the auroral oval does wander a bit, and both Barrow and Prudhoe can have a slightly higher chance of seeing the aurora than Fairbanks (Barrow more than Prudhoe, actually--Barrow is slightly closer to the auroral ring centerline), but weigh that against the much higher chance of cloudy weather on the North Slope. I'd pick Fairbanks any day.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jackal
Actually, I'm not sure about that. Check out this post I made recently in another thread:

Now, the auroral oval does wander a bit, and both Barrow and Prudhoe can have a slightly higher chance of seeing the aurora than Fairbanks (Barrow more than Prudhoe, actually--Barrow is slightly closer to the auroral ring centerline), but weigh that against the much higher chance of cloudy weather on the North Slope. I'd pick Fairbanks any day.
I had been tracking the forecast for quite some time (actually two winters) to help plan a trip up there - even going as far as becoming a quasi-"expert" with Carrington Rotation Plots so I could forecast ahead of time (and at least get a 14 or 21 day advance purchase ticket) - I noticed from the aurora belt shape that Fairbanks often got little or no aurora activity (or was low on the horizon) unless the solar activity was at or near a high, while points north and west (or south and east) got a better view - but as you point out, the weather is an issue, and I am not familiar with winter weather in these towns.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 10:15 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Originally Posted by fti
It sounds like you don't realize that the "land of the midnight sun" in June is the "land of the daytime darkness" in December. Very little daylight in Barrow in December. In fact, the sun never rises in Barrow in December. You have about 3 hours of "twilight" each day in December.

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp
HAHA...thanks for the clarification. Was singing an old tune in my head when writing and forgot the seasons.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Just wanted to a report on my trip to BRW a few months ago. I thot BRW would be a good place to see a whale hunt, the northern lights and polar bears. Got disappointed on all three counts.

BRW is not actually at the northern most point. One can drive a regular car on a road that ends two miles before Barrow point. From the end of the road, you need a snowmobile to go further. There are some companies that take you, but its about $100+
One company is Aarigaa and their # is 907 367 3332

At the point, the chances of seeing polar bears increases. The whale hunting season is around Oct, but its unpredictable. Plus there is a quota of 12 whales per season I think. The catch the whales and bring them to an area called the "Narl" I think. The catch is announced on some radio station which the ppl at the Barrow Airport Inn knows. They were also willing to give me a call on my cell if they heard of a catch,.

The locals don't seem to take non-locals on their whaling expeditions. Bad luck I believe. I was also not able to find any restaurant serving their food, which according to the car rental lady was b/c it is not allowed in their tradition. The meat of the whales caught by locals is not served in restaurants b/c its not processed under the US specifications/standards.

There is a car rental (got the # from the hotel) and we got an old Taurus for $130. Its walking distance from the airport terminal. After you step outside the terminal walk to the right. The Barrow Airport Inn is walking distance as well, but make sure you are warm, the King Eider (??) Inn is almost opposite. There were plenty of taxis available.
The Barrow Airport Inn is decent, costed $130/night and had breakfast. They didn't seem to have queen beds, all were single.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:29 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the update.

I have actually been ready to fly to Barrow at a moment's notice the past two autumns if I heard reports of polar bears. But unfortunately my contact there said that they were not to be seen (except once very early in September and never seen again).

How long did you go for? I have heard that the Northern Lights have been quite active in recent weeks. I was in Fairbanks in March 2009 for close to a week and never saw the Northern Lights. Going back to Alaska this coming March and hope to see them (will be there for almost a week but a bit further south). Too bad you didn't see them. I was camping at Wonder Lake Campground inside Denali NP last August and there was a great Northern Lights show one night for close to an hour. Pretty incredible actually, even though not stunningly bright.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by fti
Thanks for the update.

I have actually been ready to fly to Barrow at a moment's notice the past two autumns if I heard reports of polar bears. But unfortunately my contact there said that they were not to be seen (except once very early in September and never seen again).

How long did you go for? I have heard that the Northern Lights have been quite active in recent weeks. I was in Fairbanks in March 2009 for close to a week and never saw the Northern Lights. Going back to Alaska this coming March and hope to see them (will be there for almost a week but a bit further south). Too bad you didn't see them. I was camping at Wonder Lake Campground inside Denali NP last August and there was a great Northern Lights show one night for close to an hour. Pretty incredible actually, even though not stunningly bright.
I went one night and one entire day. I came to the end of the road to the point and saw something white move in the distance. My wife thinks it was an arctic fox as it was moving quickly, but I think it was a polar bear b/c we could see it from quite a distance.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:17 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Plat
Thought this thread could use a bump

I have the possibility of going to Barrow for work in November and I'm trying to decide if I should jump on it or pass. I work in Florida so it will be a looooong flight. I'm really excited to possibly see the Northern Lights, but I know it's going to be freakin' cold. Can you see them from indoors, or do you have to go outside to see them?

Also, how easy is it to get a ride on on a dog sled?

I'd like to make the most of my time in Barrow but probably won't have much time to explore elsewhere in Alaska unless I plan something after my trip. (I have been on an Alaskan cruise a few years though)
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Just being bluntly honest here - from your questions, I suspect Barrow would be a very bad idea for you.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 6:16 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CPRich
Just being bluntly honest here - from your questions, I suspect Barrow would be a very bad idea for you.
Can you elaborate further?
Old Sep 14, 2013, 9:05 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Originally Posted by whatmakes
Thought this thread could use a bump

I have the possibility of going to Barrow for work in November and I'm trying to decide if I should jump on it or pass. I work in Florida so it will be a looooong flight. I'm really excited to possibly see the Northern Lights, but I know it's going to be freakin' cold. Can you see them from indoors, or do you have to go outside to see them?

Also, how easy is it to get a ride on on a dog sled?

I'd like to make the most of my time in Barrow but probably won't have much time to explore elsewhere in Alaska unless I plan something after my trip. (I have been on an Alaskan cruise a few years though)
Fairbanks would be a better destination if you want to see the Northern Lights from indoors and go on a dog sled ride.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 8:59 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
A day trip to Barrow in Nov!

I have booked a day trip to Barrow in early Nov. arriving at 10:30 and leaving at 8:10pm to avoid hotel cost.
It is hard to book the ticket as I am using delta skymiles
BOS SEA FAI (overnight) BRW ANC PDX BOS.
Only have 4 hour to connect and one stopover. Anything I should do?
I do wish to see northern lights.
I failed to see it at Yellowknife two weeks ago (for one night stay).
But northern light is not important since I am sure I will see it as it is not that rare.
Renting a car? Join a tour? Thanks.
Hard to beat for 25000 delta skymiles......
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:05 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pbd456
A day trip to Barrow in Nov!

I have booked a day trip to Barrow in early Nov. arriving at 10:30 and leaving at 8:10pm to avoid hotel cost.
It is hard to book the ticket as I am using delta skymiles
BOS SEA FAI (overnight) BRW ANC PDX BOS.
Only have 4 hour to connect and one stopover. Anything I should do?
I do wish to see northern lights.
I failed to see it at Yellowknife two weeks ago (for one night stay).
But northern light is not important since I am sure I will see it as it is not that rare.
Renting a car? Join a tour? Thanks.
Hard to beat for 25000 delta skymiles......
Why are you going to Barrow in the first place? That might answer your question of what to do. Sorry, I doubt you will find any "tours" in November.

I also doubt you will see the Northern Lights with just a single night there, but you might get lucky. Actually, with not even spending the night, your chances of seeing the Northern Lights diminishes even further.

You should try and get to the Inupiat Heritage Center assuming it is open. You can walk around town (or hire a taxi) to see the whale bone arch, maybe have a taxi driver take you around town.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.