Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Alaska
Reload this Page >

Half day in Barrow this summer. What should us do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

I am going to visit Barrow in Alaska during late July, to enjoy the mid-night sun with other three friends. We will arrive there at around 7:30 pm, and will leave the town in the next morning, so time for us is very limited. Even though I have searched online for days about what to see there, I still wonder if anyone here has some advice about it. What's more, even though I can stay outside and hike around in the whole "night", my friends still want to find a place to stay for a while. Will the airport open and available for them at "night"? Or is there any place that can be open for 24 hours to let them in for some hours?

Thanks.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:21 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Moving to the Alaska forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Feb 18, 2016, 6:30 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
When the next morning do you depart? Doesn't seem like an enjoyable trip to me.

I would try to get to the Heritage Center. Not sure you will have time to get to Pt. Barrow even if you wanted to.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Jianguo Yuan
We will arrive there at around 7:30 pm, and will leave the town in the next morning

Thanks.
I do not think the Heritage Center will be open at the time you arrive and much before you leave. An evening arrival and departure the next morning isn't really very good timing. The small Alaska Airlines terminal building is not open overnight and I would just re-think what you are planning if it doesn't include a hotel stay to get out of the potential for bad (or typical) weather. There is more information on what to do in Barrow in this Destination: USA: Alaska sub-forum.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 8:41 pm

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
I have been reading that the mosquitos in July are absolutely ridiculous. As in around 15 mosquitos per cubic foot. (complete guess based on a youtube video I saw.)
Old Mar 23, 2016, 10:02 am

Compared to many other locations in Alaska, mosquitoes are not particularly bad in Barrow. There is usually a breeze, and it is on the ocean. No month is without recorded occurrence of frost, which also slows them down. There are more than there used to be, due to permafrost thaw, but it doesn't compare with densities in more inland locations where they can be unbearable in July.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.