Whales and Bears

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whales and Bears

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
If you are going with Major Marine, they have a snack bar that sells chips, drinks, and candy. They also offer beer, wine, and specialty drinks. Coffee, tea, and water are free and soft drinks are available for purchase. I never opt for the all you can eat buffet but bring my own snacks. Their glacier Margarita is potent.

If you are going with Kenai Fjords Tours, they have snacks and soft drinks for sale. Their included lunch is a chicken caesar wrap, veggies, chips, and a cookie.

There is a bakery near the Ace Hardware store across from the harbor that sells sandwiches, pastries, and other snacks. There is also a Safeway on the outskirts of town that has a deli, salad bar, liquor store, and almost anything you might need.

We were in Seward in July and went with Kenai Fjords on their Northwestern Glacier Tour and with Major Marine on two wildlife cruises. On our first wildlife cruise we were extremely fortunate to see over twenty humpback whales doing cooperative bubble-net feeding. Humpbacks were not observed eating this way in this area of Alaska until about six years ago. Researchers identified one of the whales as being from the Juneau area who had travelled north to demonstrate this feeding technique. Bubble-net feeding is when a group of whales cooperate to herd schools of fish into concentrated clusters by blowing bubbles. The whales often rise out of the ocean in a big group with their mouths wide open. No bubble-net feeding was observed in the Seward area in 2014. The humpbacks started feeding this way in late June and were observed for about a week. We were simply thrilled to see so many whales up so close. We also saw resident orcas (the type that eat only fish), fin whales (first time to see the second-largest whales in over 25 trips to Alaska), and surface active humpbacks. Hope you see a lot of active whales.

Last edited by FlyForFun; Aug 15, 2015 at 6:08 pm
Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:50 pm

Thanks, I hope so too. We will be on the Kenai Fjords Tours 6 hour national park tour.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
We went with Alaska Saltwater Lodge yesterday. It was excellent! We saw humpback whales, orcas, mountain goats, seals, sea lions, sea otters, puffins, and many other birds. We had lunch in front of Holgate Glacier. We saw some icebergs, and the glacier calving. The calving was not dramatic, but still quite wonderful. AK Saltwater Lodge had 2 other boats out, and everyone kept in good communication as to where to see the wildlife. Our boat had only 6 people in it and was very personable, comfortable, and relaxing. I was concerned about the long day, but I was enthralled almost the entire trip.
Forgot to add, a bear was sighted, but I was unable to spot it myself.

Last edited by chica; Sep 6, 2015 at 2:56 pm Reason: Forgot bear sighting.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:53 pm

An update on my cruise as well.. it was fantastic. Saw four humpbacks, three rogue orcas, a lot of sea lions, puffins, otters, the glacier, it was unreal. The sea was very rough, but I don't get seasick so it was a blast. Absolutely loved Alaska and Seward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.