Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

MVPG Run Madness: Standing by on immediate turnaround?

Old Feb 6, 2009, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

So, I had a nice leisurely MR planned for tomorrow... and then found out a father/daughter dance is scheduled tomorrow night.

Having been upgraded to F, of course, I am finding out that I can't stand by or same-day confirmed change to an all-QX itinerary any more (going SEA-PDX-SFO-PDX-SEA). My original plan was to take AS flights out of PDX, since odds were good I'd get F (and I did indeed get it- it's just that the flight timing would get me back WAY too late now).

So, showing up bright and early at the airport at 4:30ish should let me do what I want, right? I can even stand by for a SFO arrival at 10 am, departure 40 minutes later, yes? Or can I call the MVP(not G -sob-) line and have them manually stick me in the standby line on the flights I want? (Yes, I know, I'm about to do 6+ hours on Q400s. Lalalalalalafingersinmyearscan'thearyoucallingmecr azy.)

I suppose in dire extremis I could cut the second leg back to the afternoon SFO-SEA direct flight, keep the original departure, and add a 3 segment leg to finish off my 2009 MVPG run, instead of the SEA-SFO or SEA-LAX r/t I was going to do later... except the SEA-PDX-SFO fares aren't at $49 any more. Le sigh.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 3:13 pm

Programs: 189 miles short of AS MVP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
FYI,

The weather is pretty crummy here in the Bay Area so don't be surprised by delays.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 3:17 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I assume you're looking at trying to get on 2500/2556 for the return?

The flights look pretty open. My guess is that if you called the Gold Desk and had them put you back in your original class of service... you could then go online and do the $25confirmed standby for your return, and not have to worry about the actual standby part. But either way, you shouldnt have any problems
Old Feb 6, 2009, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The weather is pretty crummy here in the Bay Area so don't be surprised by delays.
All the more reason to get to SFO as early as possible, I guess.

I assume you're looking at trying to get on 2500/2556 for the return?
Yep.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 8:43 pm

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
it would not be uncommon to see 2 hours delay in SEA due to, well, rain, in SFO.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, things look good so far- checking out the times yesterday, it looks like the early QX flights went out pretty much on time; it was the later flights that got mucked up by bad weather at SFO.

Say, they've redone the QX lounge at PDX! Very nice.

ETA: nice sunny day at SFO. Looks like the return to PDX will be smooth as silk. Thanks, Missy!

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Feb 7, 2009 at 10:37 am
Old Feb 9, 2009, 1:39 am

I also had planned a SEA-PDX-SFO-PDX-SEA run on the same day (Feb 7th). My 11am QX flight was cancelled (ugh!), so was forced to take the 12:30pm AS flight directly to SFO, although got a F upgrade. Then back to QX for the return through PDX, which arrived early enough to grab the 5:30pm back to SEA (versus the 6:30pm flight).

Overall a good quick seg-run, except I lost an important segment and a few miles due to the cancelled flight.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 10:06 am

Programs: 189 miles short of AS MVP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Why don't you guys do mileage runs down to OAK instead of SFO? The airfare is usually cheaper to OAK and the airport taxes are cheaper. If you are flying SEA-OAK, you have a better chance at an upgrade as well. They also have some nice new restaurants in OAK and you don't have to exit the secure area at OAK unless you plan on leaving the airport completely. I can't stand SFO's setup of their terminals. Going through security is a pain.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The airfare is usually cheaper to OAK
Nope, it's identical, even with taxes- just under $120 R/T SEA-SFO or SEA-OAK. Thanks, Virgin America!

(SEA-SJC is $20 more each way, by the by.)

If you are flying SEA-OAK, you have a better chance at an upgrade as well.
Ah, but THIS run was SEA-PDX-SFO-PDX-SEA, with (originally) the PDX-SFO legs on AS, not QX, and upgraded to F, which I scored at $49 (with extra airport fees, though). This run ALONE would have requalified me for 2009 MVP if I had been challenged for that, to the tune of $160, and it's half of what I need for completing my MVPG requalification (and I had some travel originally planned early this year anyway).

In addition, PDX-OAK is all QX metal (no F). PDX-SFO has one AS flight a day each way. Ergo, that was the correct routing to maximize segments AND get a free upgrade to F if possible.

They also have some nice new restaurants in OAK and you don't have to exit the secure area at OAK unless you plan on leaving the airport completely. I can't stand SFO's setup of their terminals. Going through security is a pain.
The counter to that is that my original plan (prior to my needing to reschedule) was spending the day in downtown SF and flying back in the evening. SFO has a direct BART connection. OAK, not so much (you have to take a shuttle).

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Feb 9, 2009 at 11:41 am
Old Feb 10, 2009, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by Duckouttahere
Why don't you guys do mileage runs down to OAK instead of SFO? The airfare is usually cheaper to OAK and the airport taxes are cheaper. If you are flying SEA-OAK, you have a better chance at an upgrade as well. They also have some nice new restaurants in OAK and you don't have to exit the secure area at OAK unless you plan on leaving the airport completely. I can't stand SFO's setup of their terminals. Going through security is a pain.
  • It was the same sale price, SFO or OAK
  • SFO had more flight options in the fare bucket.
  • I was upgraded on the AS portion, QX legs for the rest.
  • SFO has a Board Room for the short wait.
  • Security didn't matter... it was a Seg-Run. There and back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.