Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

YAPTA just got me $37 in AS travel credit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YAPTA just got me $37 in AS travel credit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2011, 6:58 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by mczlaw
Got a text from Trip-it, my ever-so-slick travel organizer, with a price drop alert on AS trip in July. Did the automated request on the AS website and boom. . .$24 ($12 x 2) on PDX-SEA-LAS r/t.

I didn't even know Trip-it had this functionality. But hey, I'll take it. Cost me about 30 seconds to get the credit to my AS wallet.

--mcz
Thank you to the FT folks who started this thread - I did not know Alaska offered this service. Just received a $54 travel credit SJC-SEA one way!

But I have to ask: where is the automated request on the Alaska website? Couldn't find it, so I called.

FlyerTalk is awesome, and I am learning a lot...
Old Jul 13, 2011, 7:04 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
You can find out all about Alaska's fare guarantee here:

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/dea...guarantee.aspx
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:02 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Yesterday I signed up for YAPTA and entered my existing reservations. This morning I get an e-mail saying one of my flights just dropped by $21. A quick phone call to AS reservations and now I have an online travel credit. Cool.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 5:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Lower Taxes = "Reduced Fare"?

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...kets-tax-free/

Might be worth putting itineraries into YAPTA tonight to see if there are refund opportunities with the possible tax-free airline ticket opportunity.

Do tax-free tickets result in a "reduced fare" eligible for the credit or do they result in just a lower total cost that isn't eligible?

Most of my AS tix were purchased during the matched fares of the WN 40th Anniversary Sale, so I don't think there will be any benefit for me.

BUT, if you've purchased a recent AS ticket (not on a big sale) it might be worth checking out.

Last edited by dgreen12; Jul 22, 2011 at 5:58 pm
Old Jul 22, 2011, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by baliktad
You can find out all about Alaska's fare guarantee here:

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/dea...guarantee.aspx
Originally Posted by Jeeves
A quick phone call to AS reservations and now I have an online travel credit. Cool.
No need to call AS reservations, use the link provided by baliktad and it is processed automatically.

Just remember that the auto-upgrade to First goes away on a credit situation --- reclaim the upgrade using the link provided in the refare process.

Just got myself a $25 credit to My Wallet for a November trip. Hoping for more with the change in taxes opportunity at midnight tonight.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 7:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wonderous device: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Is AS going to change their software for this or what... I am a bit confused of what's going on.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wonderous device: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Is AS going to change their software for this or what... I am a bit confused of what's going on.
I'm seeing fare reductions for my November trips --- claiming the credits via the link. Looks like the savings is coming through.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 1:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by dgreen12
I'm seeing fare reductions for my November trips --- claiming the credits via the link. Looks like the savings is coming through.
Cool... should look at some in Dec but don't want to lose the upgrade on a couple of flights. Darn. Oh well.

DL seems to be pricing correctly too now...
Old Jul 23, 2011, 3:05 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Are you sure? I just tried to claim one, and was told that my "fare" is the same, despite being owed a ~$20 credit. Easy enough to work around by canceling and rebooking, but for those non MVPGs, any ideas?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 7:15 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Are you sure? I just tried to claim one, and was told that my "fare" is the same, despite being owed a ~$20 credit. Easy enough to work around by canceling and rebooking, but for those non MVPGs, any ideas?
I just had the same experience, even though Yapta told me my one-way fare SEA-EWR had dropped from $494.70 to $457.23. The AS automated low-fare guarantee page told me I already had the lowest fare and was ineligible for a refund.

Digging in a bit further, the entire drop was due to taxes ($44.47 old fare, $7.00 new fare). The base fare was the same. So I had to cancel and rebook to get the lower fare, putting the funds in MyWallet.

But this is a mess for non-Golds who will get dinged a change fee. I suggest they have to call, if AS will even recognize it as eligible since it is taxes only.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by tusphotog
Nope, it didn't work --- I'll call in to get the savings this morning --- or cancel and rebook. Since it's so far off, I'm okay doing that without too much damage to the waitlist position.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
i could get $27x2 on some fight by doing the cancel and repurchase but dont want to drop on the upgrade list and SEA/BOS is a tough one as it is
Old Jul 23, 2011, 9:39 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by CDKing
i could get $27x2 on some fight by doing the cancel and repurchase but dont want to drop on the upgrade list and SEA/BOS is a tough one as it is
Exactly why I only cancelled and re-booked two flights at the end of November, SEA-EWR-SEA. Anything sooner on a transcon for the somewhat smaller tax savings isn't worth losing a spot in the upgrade queue. I concur. ^
Old Jul 23, 2011, 9:52 am

Programs: AS Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
Nope, it didn't work --- I'll call in to get the savings this morning --- or cancel and rebook. Since it's so far off, I'm okay doing that without too much damage to the waitlist position.
As a Gold, I just cancelled and rebooked a bunch of upcoming flights. I called in early this morning because my spouse is a lowly MVP and doesn't have the waived fee, and the computer system told me that the lowest fare was already booked.

According to Alaska there are presently two waived taxes, one shows up under 'taxes', the other is built-in to the 'fare'. So while that flight showed a lower fare on-line, it really wasn't. I must have been one of the first to call in, because they processed my first request, but then according to the supervisor command came down from on high not to honor any others.

YMMV, but if you're Gold I suggest just cancelling and rebooking. You're probably out of luck otherwise. She did say that one could request a refund directly from the IRS. Info on that is coming out from the IRS in a few days.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by DragonMartini
YMMV, but if you're Gold I suggest just cancelling and rebooking.
Did just that online for my GEG-AUS flights in November. Along with a fare change, ended up with $60+ in MyWallet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.