Wiki Posts
Search

500 Minimum EQM per Segment

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
500 Minimum EQM per Segment

Is it true that AS gives 500 EQM minimum per sector even for partner area in discount economy?

I was checking my flights for 2017. I have 2 flights with <500 base miles.

1 is BA in D class on AMS LGW
another is
LA in discount economy LPB to IQQ.

For the other flights, I can figure out the cabin bonus from the bonus miles and when I backtrack out all the number.

The only way to make sense is I get 500 EQM for both shorter flights.

Next question.

I will have a discount economy in AY (2 sectors) both earn at 50% and will be less than 500 miles each. Should I also expect 500 minimum EQM?

I am 850 short before that 2 sectors for MVP 75k and I want to be 100% I will get it for 50K bonus miles.

Thanks
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
You always get a minimum of 500 miles EQM and RDM.

The only exception is PenAir, but you don't get EQM with them anyway (and their future is uncertain...)
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sturges
You always get a minimum of 500 miles EQM and RDM.

The only exception is PenAir, but you don't get EQM with them anyway (and their future is uncertain...)
so. even for a 25% on a booking class on CX that earns only 120 base miles?
i would be earning 500 EQM and 1125 RDM.. just to confirm..

thanks.. too much at stack at the end of the year.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by pbd456
so. even for a 25% on a booking class on CX that earns only 120 base miles?
i would be earning 500 EQM and 1125 RDM.. just to confirm..

thanks.. too much at stack at the end of the year.
Yep, that's right!^
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Yep, that's right!^
thanks.

it would be nice if AS website is clear on this.

i am 99% convinced now..
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:26 pm

What's this about PenAir future being uncertain? I have a few award flights using alaska miles but on PenAir metal several months in the future, should I be worried.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
What's this about PenAir future being uncertain? I have a few award flights using alaska miles but on PenAir metal several months in the future, should I be worried.
They filed for Chapter 11 and cancelled lots of PNW routes last month with little notice. Their Alaska operations remain, but they appear to be struggling.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/aviation/2017/08/07/alaska-based-penair-files-for-chapter-11-reorganization/
beckoa likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:25 am

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by sturges

The only exception is PenAir
7H is another exception, but again, no EQM.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:55 am

Yep, I spent much of the spring and summer putting myself through hell flying lots of extra segments on AA - a five segment flight earns slightly more mileage at 25% than a simple DAB-CLT-SLC flight would at 100%. I don't love those days, but I'll miss that bit of the partnership just the same.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
Originally Posted by synergistic
Yep, I spent much of the spring and summer putting myself through hell flying lots of extra segments on AA - a five segment flight earns slightly more mileage at 25% than a simple DAB-CLT-SLC flight would at 100%. I don't love those days, but I'll miss that bit of the partnership just the same.
Did the longer trips cost more? Was it worth it?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SpicyMorale
let say i am in a O class on AA. it earns 25%.

JFK - LAX earns 25% of 2500 miles. which is 625

JFK CLT LAX earns 25% of JFK CLT and CLT LAX which is 1000 miles
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by SpicyMorale
Booking ~3 weeks out, it was usually right about the same price and let me go out of my small home airport, which I much prefer. When I could book well in advance, it was usually cheapest to take a shuttle and a nonstop flight MCO-SLC. Short notice was hit or miss, but I could usually get three segments from home without an additional price bump. ITA Matrix made the process very simple, though sometimes it would pull up flights I couldn't book directly (or at all!) which always irritated me.

As for whether it was worth it? Honestly depends on how you value your time. If you can't work on the road, probably not. Not an issue for me, so I status matched to Alaska MVPG and got 1000 redeemable miles per segment - with five segments, that was roughly $100 back on flights that typically ran ~$180. I got to spend most of the extra time in Admirals Clubs, via an Alaska Boardroom membership, so that took a lot of the sting out of the extra time and hassles. At the time, AA and AS were playing nice, so it meant I got good seats at booking for free - that ends soon, unfortunately.

Basically, it was worth it for me then, but without the reciprocal benefits in the future, it wasn't even worth me pushing to retain MVPG this year. People who command more per hour than I do probably wouldn't even consider doing this even WITH those benefits in place. I'm glad I did it, as I have a bunch of AS miles banked now. For most people, I'd only recommend it if you were slightly short of making status by segments.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

just an alarming datapoint for me

My sister is MVP, and she flew CX HKG - TPE return in booking class V and M.
Both V and M earns 50%, she was credited with
242 base miles + 121 bonus miles for both sectors.

and she only earns 486 status miles because she was
769 status miles away from MVP Gold, and now, it shows she is only 285 miles away from Gold.

If there were true 500 miles minimum for each sector, she would have MVP gold after both segments had posted.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
It is, I believe, partner-specific, and always in the Details section under the partner earning pages.

For example,
Originally Posted by Emirates
Mileage earned is based on a percentage of actual flight miles flown, with 500 minimum miles on flights shorter than 500 miles. No miles will be earned for classes of service not listed above.
Originally Posted by Cathay Pacific
Mileage earned is based on a percentage of actual flight miles flown. No miles will be earned for classes of service not listed above.
The latter, without the text about the 500 mile minimum, is less common but the same for a few other partners, including Singapore.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kieron
It is, I believe, partner-specific, and always in the Details section under the partner earning pages.

For example,

The latter, without the text about the 500 mile minimum, is less common but the same for a few other partners, including Singapore.
i think this is the winner... thanks. save my day!

( i have 2 sectors on AY that i need 800 miles.. and but without 500 mini, i would need to do another run)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.