Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice for Upcoming Flight for Eclipse

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lazytom
Don't go too far east of SLE or you might run into smoke from wildfires ...
http://oregonsmoke.blogspot.com/2017...r-fire_10.html
http://www.statesmanjournal.com/stor...ark/546663001/
That map looks a lot better today, presumably because of the rain that passed through. Of course, there's still a week to go...
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by sdsearch

Salem, in fact, is further south than the midpoint of the totality path! So in a sense going to Salem (from Portland) is "overshooting"!

Using this interactive map:
The bolded sentence is incorrect. Look at the map at the link you provided. Salem is slightly *north* of the midpoint of the totality path.

On a separate note, no one in this thread has mentioned the possibility of flying into EUG. I'm sure rental cars (and possibly flights?) are booked solid there, too. But in most other respects it would be a decent option, as it's just as close to the path of totality as PDX.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Why is an eclipse a disaster? What are they think is going to happen? Riots in the dark? An onslaught of newly blind people who looked at it?
Oregon's going to get a temporary 25% overall population boost into a fairly narrow band of the state. The roads are going to be at a standstill; my company in Portland has already given everyone permission to work from home that day. And, thanks to the risk of clouds in the valley, a good number of them are heading to central and eastern Oregon, where there's plenty of space but rarely roads with more than two lanes.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:10 pm

Why is an eclipse a disaster? What are they think is going to happen? Riots in the dark? An onslaught of newly blind people who looked at it?
1 million more people can cause a big disaster. Think about the total population of Oregon...
Old Aug 14, 2017, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why is an eclipse a disaster? What are they think is going to happen?
Let's start with traffic. It could be, by leaps and bounds, the worst traffic Oregon (outside of Portland) has ever seen.

Then there's the overload of population. The temporary population of the greater Salem area could swell by some large multiplier factor, overwhelming local resources.

Because the event is in the sky, it's hard to predict a cap on how many people might come into the Salem area. It's not like a typical event where the seating in a stadium or the parking spaces at a state park would limit how many people can visit.

And with that many people, the traffic could be snarled not just in one direction but in every direction (especially if lots of people park illegally on small roads). Making it much harder for any emergency services that are needed to get where they need to go.

And then, if everyone's afraid of how overpacked Salem will be, they'll just spread out more and overwhelm a lot of tiny towns left and right too.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: BA Silver
I was supposed to be flying from SEA to RDM Saturday afternoon (19th) but the flight was cancelled by Alaska a couple of weeks ago. The best solution we could find considering all flights to RDM were already sold out was re-booking onto an alternative flight to EUG at a similar time and then take a taxi to RDM to pick up the rental car (no other options really as rental cars are all fully booked throughout the area).

The taxi will cost about $300. Does anyone know Alaska's policy regarding compensation for this? I have sent them a message but no reply yet after two weeks. Feels bad being out of pocket for $300 through no fault of my own!
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by musehead
I was supposed to be flying from SEA to RDM Saturday afternoon (19th) but the flight was cancelled by Alaska a couple of weeks ago. The best solution we could find considering all flights to RDM were already sold out was re-booking onto an alternative flight to EUG at a similar time and then take a taxi to RDM to pick up the rental car (no other options really as rental cars are all fully booked throughout the area).

The taxi will cost about $300. Does anyone know Alaska's policy regarding compensation for this? I have sent them a message but no reply yet after two weeks. Feels bad being out of pocket for $300 through no fault of my own!
You should call AS to ask about this.

If I were you, I'd just drive. Better plan anyway, as the airports will be mad. That's not to say that the roads won't be mad, but most of us will be getting on those roads to drive to our vantage point, anyway!
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jinglish
Oregon's going to get a temporary 25% overall population boost into a fairly narrow band of the state. The roads are going to be at a standstill; my company in Portland has already given everyone permission to work from home that day. And, thanks to the risk of clouds in the valley, a good number of them are heading to central and eastern Oregon, where there's plenty of space but rarely roads with more than two lanes.
Yep - I predict this is the most likely scenario. This is why I made back-up plans to drive to Madras and bought overnight parking and tickets to Solarfest.

Eclipse experts say that historically, long stretches of 2-lane highways can take 2-3 times the regular duration to travel during an eclipse. That means the drive to Madras from Portland could take 4-6 hours! Then there's people running out of gas, blocking the roads, cars overheating...

I'm praying for clear skies in the Salem area so I (and the rest of the 1,000,000 people with the central/eastern Oregon back-up plan) don't have to drive very far and can take back roads if push comes to shove. If not, I think the state will be crippled for an entire day...
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by pokee
You should call AS to ask about this.

If I were you, I'd just drive. Better plan anyway, as the airports will be mad. That's not to say that the roads won't be mad, but most of us will be getting on those roads to drive to our vantage point, anyway!
Drive from where? Rental cars from SEA seem to be in the $1150 range for pickup on 8/19, return 8/22

There's a bus from Eugene to Bend (just 15 miles south of RDM), but it appears to be sold out on 8/19 (surprise!).

Amtrak still sells tickets for $51 from Eugene to RDM (train to Chemult, 2 1/2 hr bus ride to RDM).

I wonder if there are car pool options from Eugene to central Oregon. Might be worth checking Craigslist before paying a cab $300. Scenic drive, though
Attached Images  
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Rifleman69
1 million more people can cause a big disaster. Think about the total population of Oregon...
Doesn't take a million people, just a few idiots ignoring the camp fire ban. Or someone pulling over their car to the side of the road and setting dry grass on fire. With roads clogged, fire engines won't get through, and there already are enough wildfires to keep the available firefighting aircraft busy.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Drive from where? Rental cars from SEA seem to be in the $1150 range for pickup on 8/19, return 8/22

There's a bus from Eugene to Bend (just 15 miles south of RDM), but it appears to be sold out on 8/19 (surprise!).

Amtrak still sells tickets for $51 from Eugene to RDM (train to Chemult, 2 1/2 hr bus ride to RDM).

I wonder if there are car pool options from Eugene to central Oregon. Might be worth checking Craigslist before paying a cab $300. Scenic drive, though
Don't forget Uber
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Don't forget Uber
I didn't.

The Uber app told me that there is no Uber in Eugene (which surprised me because Redmond does have Uber). I was too lazy to check Lyft.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by musehead

I highly doubt you would be able to even find a taxi.

Get a car rental from Seattle (Sixt still has availability from Seatac). Or, assuming you have a place to stay booked in redmond, use your Facebook to offer a friend a free night in exchange of their car services.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I didn't.

The Uber app told me that there is no Uber in Eugene (which surprised me because Redmond does have Uber). I was too lazy to check Lyft.
That's correct, and no Lyft either. Shut down since April 2015 by the cities of Eugene and Springfield.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:15 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
Originally Posted by azepine00
I suspect this is shaping up to be y2k like silliness - more hype and gloom and doom forecasts than reality. Rental cars are often doublebooked so i bet some availability will open up and there are local stations that can provide extra. Arrival capacity is limited by normal airline operations so a million folks are not gonna suddenly land in pdx.
Traffic jams are certainly a possibility so plan accordingly but it shoudnt be all that hard to scatter across rather wide area..
Story is traffic jams started today in the rural areas. Madras was bumper to bumper most of today and there are rumors of prineville gas stations running out of gas. Many businesses are closing in PDX. The eclipse is cool - but not excited about the chaos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.