Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Crediting BA GUF2 flights to Mileage plan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold,, Hilton HHonors Gold

Hi All, I have a return trip from SFO to India coming on up on BA. I booked these with a travel agent using the BA Executive Club Gold Upgrade for 2 vouchers. They book into I class. In the past, when I credited these flights to BA Executive Club, they posted with I class Tier Points and and Avios. Will it be the same if I post them to Alaska Mileage Plan or will it pickup the premium economy fare? BA manage my booking says I class.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by blindy
Hi All, I have a return trip from SFO to India coming on up on BA. I booked these with a travel agent using the BA Executive Club Gold Upgrade for 2 vouchers. They book into I class. In the past, when I credited these flights to BA Executive Club, they posted with I class Tier Points and and Avios. Will it be the same if I post them to Alaska Mileage Plan or will it pickup the premium economy fare? BA manage my booking says I class.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Not exactly sure what happens with the vouchers, but in my experience it is the Selling Class that Alaska will see when you credit to them. If you can pull up your booking on ba.com, and open the flight details, then click "More flight information", you'll see the selling class. Your earning should be based on that.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calculon
Not exactly sure what happens with the vouchers, but in my experience it is the Selling Class that Alaska will see when you credit to them. If you can pull up your booking on ba.com, and open the flight details, then click "More flight information", you'll see the selling class. Your earning should be based on that.
Selling class in Manage my booking > more flight details is I Class for all 4 flights.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:14 pm

Selling class in Manage my booking > more flight details is I Class for all 4 flights.
Assuming you're on all BA metal, which seems likely given your destination and the use of your vouchers, you should earn based on the chart shown on alaskaair.com for British Airways.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calculon
Assuming you're on all BA metal, which seems likely given your destination and the use of your vouchers, you should earn based on the chart shown on alaskaair.com for British Airways.
Thank you. All flights are on BA metal SJC-LHR-DEL and then HYD-LHR-SJC. If I am an MVP Gold, am I correct in assuming that I will earn 350% of the miles flown for I class? Sounds too good to be true.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:42 pm

Thank you. All flights are on BA metal SJC-LHR-DEL and then HYD-LHR-SJC. If I am an MVP Gold, am I correct in assuming that I will earn 350% of the miles flown for I class? Sounds too good to be true.
In redeemable miles, yes. That's what you'll earn. It may not last, but for now that's the rate.

The portion of that which is elite-qualifying is less. Base + 50%, or 150% total.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:56 am

Programs: AS MVPG, LH, Marriott Titanium, National Executive Elite

SJC-LHR-DEL 33,457 miles earned
HYD-LHR-SJC 35,638 miles earned

Welcome to MVPG 75K after that trip, assuming you already reached MVPG for 2018. If not then you'll certainly be done with that after the trip.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MeanwhileBackAtFAI

Welcome to MVPG 75K after that trip, assuming you already reached MVPG for 2018. If not then you'll certainly be done with that after the trip.
I am not close to MVP Gold 75K yet. MVP Gold at the moment but that is a status match from BA Executive Club Gold and so just started crediting flights to Mileage Plan. I have to decide if I want to go for 75K after retaining MVP Gold for 2018. I need to decide if I should go for MVP 75K or OneWorld Emerald.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:28 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
I am not close to MVP Gold 75K yet. MVP Gold at the moment but that is a status match from BA Executive Club Gold and so just started crediting flights to Mileage Plan. I have to decide if I want to go for 75K after retaining MVP Gold for 2018. I need to decide if I should go for MVP 75K or OneWorld Emerald.
I'm sorry they only have you MVP gold. BA gold is harder to get than the usual 50,000 status miles on any US airline. How many TPs a year do you usual make? Having BA gold is a great status. Do you value status or awards more?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
ba gold is very easy, i think.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
I'm sorry they only have you MVP gold. BA gold is harder to get than the usual 50,000 status miles on any US airline. How many TPs a year do you usual make? Having BA gold is a great status. Do you value status or awards more?
BA Gold was great when I was living in London. I was earning about 3000 to 3500 TPs for the past 3 years. Now that I live in SF bay area, BA may not be all that important. OneWorld Emerald was a nice status to have though. Airlines like Cathay treated me well.

I am not so keen on status anymore. It would be nice to have but with my girlfriend living in India, I need as many redeemable miles as I can get.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MeanwhileBackAtFAI

Wait, are those all status qualifying miles?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pbd456
ba gold is very easy, i think.
Used to be easier until AA changed their booking classes for domestic first.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 4:06 am

Programs: AS MVPG, LH, Marriott Titanium, National Executive Elite
The way AS miles work is that they differentiate between miles earned on AS metal and partner miles. To gain status you need fewer miles on AS metal than on partners, but all partner miles are status qualifying miles.

That's what makes AS one of the better programs out there in my opinion, it's easier to earn both status as well as redeemable miles. On top of that it's one (of the few?) airlines left that doesn't have a spending requirement.

You can also earn status via segments.

See https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-benefits.aspx
Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy, NEXUS
No. If you fly 9,559 miles (SJC-LHR-DEL) in I class on BA as MVPG, you get:
9,559 base miles. (Status earning.)
4,780 class of service bonus miles. (Status earning.)
9,559 "additional bonus" miles. (Not status earning.)
9,559 MVPG bonus miles. (Not status earning.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.