Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Fiasco

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Angry Award Ticket Fiasco

I have an upcoming travel XXX-HKG-LAX-XXX on CX-AS originally booked in U/A class. This will happen in 5 days.

Called to enquire about changing to XXX-HKG-JFK (Stopover)-XXX but when told that stopover couldn't be built in, decided to stick with original flight.

But agent accidentally deleted my HKG-LAX flight and it's now in X class - and at an earlier departure. Tickets are still as originally ticketed but they can't sell my original flights into the reservation. What should I do now?

*Alaska is apparently trying to get the flight reinstated with its CX liaison (how does this even work?), but it has been 2-3 days and no luck yet - anyone with similar experience how they can get this done asap? :s
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Get revenue management to open up space on the Alaska flight from Hong Kong.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:16 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by currentjer
Alaska is apparently trying to get the flight reinstated with its CX liaison (how does this even work?), but it has been 2-3 days and no luck yet - anyone with similar experience how they can get this done asap?
That is the process, and it's not uncommon for a premium seat on an international flight to take a few days. Check back once or twice a day. If it gets within 72 hours, ask for escalation.

Did you check if your desired cabin is still offered for revenue sale? If it's not, changing the itinerary may be the only option.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:34 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Patience. if they have their liaisons working on it, it will eventually work out.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:49 pm

Programs: ba silver
Keep trying with them. If you have any proof that you are booked in business class the airline is legally required to seat you in that cabin if ANY seats are available. If they won't you might have to purchase a business class ticket and go after the Alaska for downgrading you without your consent.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by stevendorechester
Keep trying with them. If you have any proof that you are booked in business class the airline is legally required to seat you in that cabin if ANY seats are available. If they won't you might have to purchase a business class ticket and go after the Alaska for downgrading you without your consent.

Buying an J one way ticket is going to be many thousands of dollars. I don't think I'd be buying a multi-thousand plane ticket and hoping I'd win in court. I'd be kind of out a few large for a while...

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Mar 22, 2017 at 11:28 pm
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:01 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Buying an J one way ticket is going to be many thousands of dollars. I don't think I'd be buying a multi-thousand plane ticket and hoping I'd win in court. I'd be kind of out a few large for a while...
It's best to ignore baseless (and bad) suggestions.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
i thought it is very clear that it is not possible to have a stop in jfk when flying CX. u took a huge gamble and hope everything works out.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Originally Posted by pbd456
i thought it is very clear that it is not possible to have a stop in jfk when flying CX. u took a huge gamble and hope everything works out.
This was before I read the wiki here. There was nothing on the award chart website disallowing HKG-East Coast (Stopover) routing.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
There was nothing on the award chart website disallowing HKG-East Coast (Stopover) routing.
I agree with you that AS could be more forthright with this rule, instead of assuming that people wouldn't want to/try to backtrack.

If they are working with a liaison at CX, there is a decent chance this will turn out OK. In the meantime I would keep your eyes peeled for last minute options on other partner carriers, just to be safe...and call to take one of those if you see a palatable option.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I agree with you that AS could be more forthright with this rule, instead of assuming that people wouldn't want to/try to backtrack.
Yeah - that would have been helpful. :/

So if a partner is available, will they be able to change without charging additional miles/taxes? I assume mixed partners would not be allowed here either.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Yeah - that would have been helpful. :/

So if a partner is available, will they be able to change without charging additional miles/taxes? I assume mixed partners would not be allowed here either.
you would need to be able to get from whereever you are at all the way to an AS gateway on a single partner. so if you're in SIN, for instance, you could try and find JAL SIN-TYO-LAX and then do LAX-XXX on AS metal.

they will not allow you to keep your CX flights from XXX-HKG, then pick up a new partner there.

a new ticket would price at the prevailing redemption rate of the other partner...not at CX' prevailing rate.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lessons take away

Dont tinker your flight so close to departure.

Dont try to be cute and think you should get "the most" out of it on an award flight, especially this is not a program one has in depth knowledge.

CX usually is pretty good in working with partners in situation like this.

May need to move to a different departure time, but with 4 daily flights on this route, J seat should not be too hard to find.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 11:11 am

There should be a lot of availability on various CX flights in J this close in. Look for alternative routing.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Happy
Lessons take away

Dont tinker your flight so close to departure.

Dont try to be cute and think you should get "the most" out of it on an award flight, especially this is not a program one has in depth knowledge.

Customers are entitled to evaluate their options and request for quotations - and clearly in this case, this agent screwed up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.