Community
Wiki Posts
Search

75K Recognition

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2017, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was on a flight sitting in exit row aisle. I heard the FA talk to the person behind me in the other exit row asking if he wanted his complimentary media player. He said no thank you. She never asked me. As she was coming back I mentioned I was a 75K and would like the player, she oh, your sitting here, I thought you were a row back. Sorry, here's your player. So she thought I was back one row and the other person. What if he had said yes to the player? Simple way to avoid that is for the FA to approach and use your name to confirm it is you.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 12:53 pm

I've had it happen a number of times as a 75k. The most recent time I had to ask for the Digiplayer and she said that her computer didn't show my status. She felt so bad that she hadn't offered it to me that she gave two others in my party (with no status and on different reservations) free Digiplayers as well.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
In a perfect world these things would never happen, but alas, it's not perfect and so...

That said, while I enjoy my free drink and/or the occasional chocolate, I could do without all the gushing. While I appreciate the sentiment behind it, I appreciate rather more my anonymity. A simple understated "Thanks for being a 75K" works just fine for me, no name recognition needed.

It's rare that I've been overlooked or asked to pay for a free drink but like eponymous_coward, I just hand over my credit card along with my 75K card. No problem.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 2:02 pm
vgc

I understand things get overlooked or missed, so I'm usually not bothered if my status is acknowledged. I don't always want a drink or a chocolate, so I don't really care if I'm not offered. If I do want either, I ask for it and if I get questioned, I just mention that I'm 75k. The FAs have never been outright rude about that.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 2:49 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by vgc
I understand things get overlooked or missed, so I'm usually not bothered if my status is acknowledged. I don't always want a drink or a chocolate, so I don't really care if I'm not offered. If I do want either, I ask for it and if I get questioned, I just mention that I'm 75k. The FAs have never been outright rude about that.
+1. It's really a glass half-full or a glass half-empty.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL PM
BOI-SEA "Welcome back Idaho Territory" as the FA went down the row thanking each elite by name prior to departure.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
When I get asked to pay for a glass of wine in coach I typically just tilt my head look them in the eye and raise an eyebrow. They all "get" that they should look at the list and realize it is free to me for being a 75k. Thankfully it is a rare instance for me, unfortunately those times when they try to charge you but not others around your seat tend to really stick in your mind.

I actually like being greeted by Name, and being thanked for being a 75k. Small things like that do go a long way. Even though the app on their phones makes it very simple for the FAs to know who has what status on a flight, by greeting me it says that the FA took the time to look and made a sincere effort to show the recognition. I do appreciate that.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 9:53 pm

The practical problem that I have in not getting any recognition is that I don't know when I order a glass of wine and a cheese plate, if they are going to charge me for both.

So far I have only been in coach for 2 flights this year since becoming 75k and both times, I was offered the digiplayer, so I did know that they noticed.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Idaho Territory
BOI-SEA "Welcome back Idaho Territory" as the FA went down the row thanking each elite by name prior to departure.
I have had this happen a few times. It is a nice touch. Sometimes it is the little things that don't cost a dime.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Got my chocolate last night on AS175.

Now off to work (thankfully got some sleep)
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:36 am
vgc

Originally Posted by ctporter
When I get asked to pay for a glass of wine in coach I typically just tilt my head look them in the eye and raise an eyebrow.
Why not just take a few seconds and treat them like human beings and politely tell them that you're 75k?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by vgc
Why not just take a few seconds and treat them like human beings and politely tell them that you're 75k?
^

We're not perfect - we make mistakes. Being treated like a 5 year old is condescending. Something as simple as, "I have 75K status, it should show on your seat map" is gracious enough and will generally yield a sincere apology and a thanks for your business and.... sometimes... maybe even a second free glass of wine or whatever it is you're having. I can't speak for everyone else (though I think I can here) but I respond very well to kindness.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
For those who really need the instant recognition, might I suggest that you put gold hoops through the otherwise unused 75K bag tags and hang one through each ear's piercing.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by vgc
The raised eyebrow is a question, as in.. quietly saying umm, are you sure you want to charge me? WITHOUT calling them out for NOT looking at their list first (or make a gender-based assumption), it gives them a chance to gracefully offer a drink without having to apologize, especially when they have greeted those around me by name, who btw are typically men. Is this just another thing that I should be expected to do as a woman? sheesh!
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
^

We're not perfect - we make mistakes. Being treated like a 5 year old is condescending. Something as simple as, "I have 75K status, it should show on your seat map" is gracious enough and will generally yield a sincere apology and a thanks for your business and.... sometimes... maybe even a second free glass of wine or whatever it is you're having. I can't speak for everyone else (though I think I can here) but I respond very well to kindness.
To me, saying I have status it should show is not gracious, it is supercilious which is why I have used a quiet smile and questioning eyebrow (raised eyebrows is what I do when I have a question) Interesting to see how offensive this is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.