Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Companion Pass Flight Change Options?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Companion Pass Flight Change Options?

I talked my sister and her husband into getting an Alaska Visa card and flying with us to Maui using the companion pass option. Unfortunately, they just learned that they need to make a change and return to a different city probably 1/2 a day or a full day early. However, when they called to make the change, they were told that they couldn't change the return city even if they paid the $125 fee and the fare change. We leave in just over 30 days and return a week later.

Did the Alaska folks give them the accurate information? If so, any ideas? Thanks for your expertise!
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:47 pm
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
This is incorrect. You can change a companion fare flight just like any other. I do recommend that you don't cancel and rebook. You must change it. And it still needs to be a flight eligible for a companion fare (e.g., operated by Alaska).

Te easiest way to change a flight is to view the reservation online. Select "change" and choose which segment needs to be changed. You can then run a search for the new segment. At the end it will tell you how much more/less you'll pay. Completely automated.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Scottrick
... easiest way to change a flight is to view the reservation online. Select "change" and choose which segment needs to be changed. You can then run a search for the new segment. At the end it will tell you how much more/less you'll pay. Completely automated.
I would have been able to change DCA-SEA to BWI-SAN-SEA on line except for the fact that we had applied GGUs (taking the inaugural next week) ... UG space was available, so it was a pretty routine process for the phone agent to make the switch; since my wife is MVP it cost $125 for the inside-60-days change plus the additional taxes/fees
Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by sdflyer04
I talked my sister and her husband into getting an Alaska Visa card and flying with us to Maui using the companion pass option. Unfortunately, they just learned that they need to make a change and return to a different city probably 1/2 a day or a full day early. However, when they called to make the change, they were told that they couldn't change the return city even if they paid the $125 fee and the fare change. We leave in just over 30 days and return a week later.

Did the Alaska folks give them the accurate information? If so, any ideas? Thanks for your expertise!
What were the original and new city pairs? The flight still needs to be a RT in the system. If the difference in the two end points are too different, that may be the issue.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP HHonors Gold DL MS
Its tricky but you can make the changes online. You will get a chance to review your changes before you hit the button to finalize. I've changed flight times, cities, and dates before. I've dropped and added legs as well. The site is not all that intuitive but play with it and just don't hit the last button until you are sure
Old Mar 6, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Note that if you try to make the changes over the phone, agents will frequently enforce the round-trip "requirement" of the companion fare, but the web logic does not.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:08 am

Programs: AS MVP
I'm running into a similar problem here with my companion pass. I booked
SEA-LAX; PDX-OAK-KOA; KOA-SEA-PDX; PDX-ANC-FAI
using my companion pass, but found out that the PDX-KOA segment direct flight is now the same price as my PDX-OAK-KOA segment. I am beyond 24 hours past booking (about 2 weeks), but the first segment is still more than 60 days away.

Tried to change this online, but got the error about roundtrip requirement. Called in but no go with the agent. It's not a deal-breaker, but definitely would love to be in Kona 2 hours earlier without having to transfer. Any advice?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Question name change

Is it possible to change the name of the person traveling as companion?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by amartin1979
Is it possible to change the name of the person traveling as companion?
See the wiki here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...-fare-faq.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.