AS applies for Mexico City slots

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:41 am
Original Poster

AS applies for Mexico City slots

From SFO, LAX, SAN

January 23, 2017

Application of Alaska Airlines for Allocation of US-Mexico City Slot Pairs

Alaska plans to operate four daily scheduled combination roundtrip flights year-round between Los Angeles (twice daily), San Francisco (daily) and San Diego (daily), on the one hand, and MEX, on the other hand. In order of priority:
  • Alaska's first daily Los Angeles-MEX southbound service would depart Los Angeles at 8:15a.m., with arrival at MEX at 2:00p.m. On the return/northbound trip, the aircraft would depart MEX at 5:35p.m., with arrival in Los Angeles at 7:50p.m.
  • Alaska's daily San Francisco- MEX southbound service would depart San Francisco at 10:15a.m., with arrival at MEX at 4:35p.m. On the return/northbound trip, the aircraft would depart MEX at 3:00p.m., with arrival in San Francisco at 6:00p.m.
  • Alaska's second daily Los Angeles-MEX southbound service would depart Los Angeles at 12:00p.m., with arrival at MEX at 6:00 p.m. On the return/northbound trip, the aircraft would depart MEX at 1:35p.m., with arrival in Los Angeles at 4:05 p.m.
  • Alaska's daily San Diego-MEX southbound service would depart San Diego at 7:00a.m. with arrival at MEX at 12:45p.m. On the return/northbound trip, the aircraft would depart MEX at 6:50p.m., with arrival in San Diego at 9:05p.m.
Alaska will operate 178-seat Boeing B737-900ER aircraft (with 16 First Class seats, 24 Premium Class seats, and 138 Economy Class seats) on its first daily Los Angeles-MEX flights and on its daily San Francisco-MEX flights. Alaska will operate 76-seat Embraer E-175 (with 12 First Class seats, 12 Premium Class seats, and 52 Economy Class seats) on its second daily Los Angeles-MEX flights and on its single daily San Diego-MEX flights.
http://airlineinfo.com/ost19/ost012317.html#ATI
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Excellent news. With the lack of AM redemption options, it is even more excellent news. And given the 4 flights a day during the day (none of the old redeye nonsense), it looks like they really mean business in the CA/MEX market, and this isn't one of those "one off, let's see what happens" projects.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
This is fantastic news!

SEA fliers will have to connect in SFO or the later LAX flight due to timing it appears.

Also in the proceeding... VX is moving to T6 at LAX in May, will have 11 gates there.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Excellent news. With the lack of AM redemption options, it is even more excellent news. And given the 4 flights a day during the day (none of the old redeye nonsense), it looks like they really mean business in the CA/MEX market, and this isn't one of those "one off, let's see what happens" projects.
If your frenemy does not want to play ball, bring the fight to them
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Nice.

So in the little over a month since AS has owned VX, they've announced intentions for four dots on the map out of SFO: SNA, MSP, MCO and MEX.

Not too shabby if you ask me.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:40 am
Suspended

I wonder if AM will actually survive in the long run.
Lot's of travelers probably prefer to fly a domestic airline to Mexico (and to Central, South America). On top of that, connecting in MEX is one of the most miserable experiences you can have.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Lot's of travelers probably prefer to fly a domestic airline to Mexico (and to Central, South America). On top of that, connecting in MEX is one of the most miserable experiences you can have.
AM has 46% of slots in MEX. I think they'll be fine.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
There are lots of people who live in Mexico that also need to fly and probably prefer to fly a domestic (to them) airline as well.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
MEX again? Didn't AS just get out of Mexico City?

Nice to see it back on the route map though.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: AS MVP
Perhaps in response to the DL/AM joint venture?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Chugach
MEX again? Didn't AS just get out of Mexico City?
They had a crappy redeye slot they gave to AA, but this was prior to the VX acquisition. MEX is a reasonably important market if you want to be serious about expanding LAX/SFO.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Not sure why the second LAX flight isn't a red-eye. Much better for traveling to Mexico city for the weekend without taking days off.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Awesome! Any idea how long service typically begins from these announcements? I just booked a r/t LAX>MEX on AA for April, and would've loved the EQMs at 100% instead of 25% the AA flights will give me. Oh well, I'll keep saving pesos for my next MEX trip. Glad to see AS keep expanding their routes either way!
Old Jan 24, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Anyone know if it is Horizon or Sky West flying the E 175 flights?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Awesome! Any idea how long service typically begins from these announcements?
DOT is scheduled to make its announcement on the allocations in May. These flights are far from a sure thing - B6, WN, Y4, VB, and more have all applied for these slots, and I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if AS gets all of the flights they asked for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.