Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Got the bonus miles. What's the best way to use them?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UR, MR, AA, DL, HH, IHG, Bonvoy

I was one of the people who randomly got the 10,000 miles from Virgin to Alaskan and I haven't flown either, LOL.

My home airport is DTW (Detroit). Alaskan only goes to Seattle from here. It looks like all the partner rates are well beyond the 10K miles. So what's the best way for me to use these miles?

The only thing on our horizon is a trip to Hawaii hopefully in December. I plan on using our UR points for that.

Help!
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
One idea:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ate-miles.aspx

Saver ticket also start at 12.5K OW, so for 2.5K more miles you can have have OW ticket with AS or AA.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by AimClickShoot
I was one of the people who randomly got the 10,000 miles from Virgin to Alaskan and I haven't flown either, LOL.

My home airport is DTW (Detroit). Alaskan only goes to Seattle from here. It looks like all the partner rates are well beyond the 10K miles. So what's the best way for me to use these miles?

The only thing on our horizon is a trip to Hawaii hopefully in December. I plan on using our UR points for that.

Help!
10,000 miles is good for $100 off a ticket on AS metal

it is also good for shorter distance travel on AS metal where now you can get some tickets for under 12,500 miles

you could buy another 2500 miles or transfer them to AS from somewhere and have enough for a one way low level award ticket domestically on DL, AA, or AS metal
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:00 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
I'll go a different route (ha ha!) than others: donate the miles to Make-a-Wish of Alaska and Washington. 80%+ of the wishes they grant involve air travel, and they need approximately 67 million miles each year to cover those flights. They usually use 160,000 miles for a wish to fly a family of four to the wish destination. Alaska Airlines is a great partner but only provides a small portion of those miles each year.

10,000 miles is really not that much in the grand scheme of miles for me, but it is a big help to Make-a-Wish, so I'm donating the miles. If 15 additional FlyerTalkers donate their miles, we'd fly a family of four this year

Neil
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: AS
Did not get bonus miles but will support Make A Wish again.
Thanks for,the reminder, Neil.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by pcoll
Did not get bonus miles but will support Make A Wish again.
Thanks for,the reminder, Neil.
As will I. Thanks, Neil, for reminding us all that there are people with real problems, not just whether we got extra GGU's, bonus miles or kale chips in our snack box. Puts it in perspective, at least for me.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:00 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
I just realized that up thread beckoa made a similar recommendation, with a link to the list of organizations Alaska supports donating miles to. Great minds something something!

It appears that the link to donate to Make-a-Wish from their website isn't working. The correct direct link is https://www.alaskaair.com/mileagepla...orm=UCMPDonate, and the option to donate to either the Alaska/Washington, Idaho, or Oregon chapters are available. I'll admit I'm partial to the Alaska/Washington chapter

Neil

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.