Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Delta & Alaska Partnership Ended on May 1, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta & Alaska Partnership Ended on May 1, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2016, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by ryandc99
I am in a similar boat here... I fly a lot of DL P fares and found crediting them to AS to be very valuable. Now I am unsure if I should double down on DL or start flying AA more domestically. I don't find domestic F in AA to be anywhere near the same level that DL F is.
Agreed - DL>AA. I'm really going to miss crediting premium flights on DL to AS MP. I'm going to be watching closely to see if even greater fare wars ensue in SEA after the breakup. Then I need to decide whether to switch to Skymiles.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 9:31 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flytoeat
Agreed - DL>AA. I'm really going to miss crediting premium flights on DL to AS MP. I'm going to be watching closely to see if even greater fare wars ensue in SEA after the breakup. Then I need to decide whether to switch to Skymiles.
The challenge I have is that DL P fares really are price competitive. Often times AS fares in F are 300-400 more and you aren't getting anywhere near a similar product, so it was an easy decision to fly DL and credit to AS.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by flytoeat
+1 on this... the DL P fares are generally $100-250 cheaper than AA. We can only hope that AA continues to copy DL and starts selling more F.

Glad that KLM/AF looks like it will continue, although looks like KLM is swapping their 747 back into SFO-AMS so there goes lieflat business, the 787 was nice.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
So if I book a trip in late January today, benefits should still apply since travel is taking place before 5/1/17. Correct?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: MP MVP Gold; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Silver;
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Yes, if you stick to ONE program it works. However, mrapollinax was considering splitting the 50,000+ miles between AA and DL. That is not a clever way to do things IMHO.
I travel mostly for work. Spend is not an issue in either case. With AS it gave me some leeway as to flight options between AA and DL. Based on my flying the past year, ie not trying to get everything into a single program bucket, i would have Silver/Base on both AA and DL, not including my *A flights I take as well. All I really care about is being able to redeem my miles to take my family on trips. AS gave me a way of not having to think to hard as to how to book/bank my trips and accrued mileage.

As it stands I will put all my AA mileage into AS until my status is up to maximize my earning potential for those flights. My DL flights will credit back to DL once again. This forces me to choose really between AA and DL as my travel program of choice. AA for me offers a lot of options and refundable fares connecting through ORD/DFW whereas DL gives me a lot of directs out of MSP to the west coast with options to connect through various hubs to get out east.

I will have a few West Coast flights a year where AS/VX may be an option but purely on price and frequency they will probably lose out on my business unless they really ramp up coverage in the Midwest. Again, I can't be the only person whose flying habits are like this and AS is essentially losing out on free revenue from me flying other airlines. At the end of the day it is what it is and what that means is I will probably have to look at other options after April 30th 2017.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 10:05 am

It was good while it lasted. One could fly AA or DL (just not UA) and get miles. Later, that benefit was not as when DL gave fewer miles and based it on fares.

In the long run, AS might be acquired by HP/AA, which is not good.

Maybe CO and AS could make up?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Samsterf
It was good while it lasted. One could fly AA or DL (just not UA) and get miles. Later, that benefit was not as when DL gave fewer miles and based it on fares.

In the long run, AS might be acquired by HP/AA, which is not good.

I want some of what you're drinking...
Old Dec 19, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Loss of award partner is painful

Losing award partner DL would make searching for award space even more difficult. Impossible to select discontinued award destinations, other destinations might be possible with some luck and advance planning. Overall, anticipate more futile searches...

jiburi
Old Dec 19, 2016, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
consistent upgrade routes for me when flying on my DL FF# (gold med status) are basically any routes between MSP/DTW and smaller midwest cities, SMF-LAX/SEA/SLC, most things out of OAK, a few things out of RDU and CLT.

with the reduced earnings i am mostly only crediting DL J and F tickets to my AS account now.
This would be the boat I am in as well. Hell, as an MVP Gold I got a couple upgrades into DSM. So as a DL Silver I would still be higher on the totem pole than I would be as an MVP Gold.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by ryandc99
The challenge I have is that DL P fares really are price competitive. Often times AS fares in F are 300-400 more and you aren't getting anywhere near a similar product, so it was an easy decision to fly DL and credit to AS.
Originally Posted by SFOPeter
+1 on this... the DL P fares are generally $100-250 cheaper than AA. We can only hope that AA continues to copy DL and starts selling more F.

Glad that KLM/AF looks like it will continue, although looks like KLM is swapping their 747 back into SFO-AMS so there goes lieflat business, the 787 was nice.
Ugh! Totally the only times I would fly DL (and of course credit to AS). Recent trip to LAX from PSC (via SEA) was like ~$1200+ for F on Alaska (and that PSC-SEA leg is a single cabin...) and on Delta it was like ~$650. That's a HUGE difference. Delta's F also allows me to pick my meal ahead of time (huge perk since I'm a vegetarian), granted they weren't able to cater it from LAX (even though I picked and confirmed it about a month in advance ) and I really enjoy the priority baggage claim benefit. I'm not certain AS works to get F pax bags onto the belt first or not, but I certainly don't remember them promoting that. Both times my bags were within the first five on the belt which allowed me to wait a grand total of maybe 3 minutes at claim before I head to pick up a car.

AS's F product is not good. Customer service is great, on time status is pretty dang good, but F just is hugely overpriced and really lacking.

Delta has STUPIDLY short connections (why so many that are less then an hour?!), seems to have a lot of issues flying into Seattle because of weather, and might be a little hit or miss on customer service.

I loved playing both of them and banking miles with AS (since I don't get anywhere near the spend requirements to really make Delta work for me) but that's over now.... this is seriously going to be hard for me, I enjoy flying F for leisure a couple times a year but man I hate paying crazy high prices for it.

Will we be able to book a single travel reservation mixing AS and VA legs? Possibly flying PSC-SEA on AS and then SEA-LAX with Virgin America's F product will be an option for me. I just want to be able to book once and have all baggage handled for me from start to finish and the most protection if something is delayed or cancelled.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
IANAL, but I suspect Delta couldn't legally interfere with the business relationships between independent companies such as AF/KLM and AS.
Severing AF/KLM could push AS into Oneworld outright, which might not be what DL wants either.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Severing AF/KLM could push AS into Oneworld outright, which might not be what DL wants either.
If AS becomes a OW partner that would make my decision a lot easier. As it stands though I can't see that happening in the near (or foreseeable) future.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Samsterf
CO is as dead as the AS/DL partnership will be come May 1.

I see zero chance that UA is going to be partners with an airline that has two overlapping hubs (SFO and LAX).
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:00 am
Original Poster

O/T, but for my own selfish reasons I would like to see AS include Iberia into their list of partnerships (which given the presence of the AA/BA JV should not be too hard, no?). And maybe make an EK reduced-mileage exemption for the JFK-MXP flights
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:10 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by mrapollinax
I travel mostly for work. Spend is not an issue in either case. With AS it gave me some leeway as to flight options between AA and DL. Based on my flying the past year, ie not trying to get everything into a single program bucket, i would have Silver/Base on both AA and DL, not including my *A flights I take as well. All I really care about is being able to redeem my miles to take my family on trips. AS gave me a way of not having to think to hard as to how to book/bank my trips and accrued mileage.

As it stands I will put all my AA mileage into AS until my status is up to maximize my earning potential for those flights. My DL flights will credit back to DL once again. This forces me to choose really between AA and DL as my travel program of choice. AA for me offers a lot of options and refundable fares connecting through ORD/DFW whereas DL gives me a lot of directs out of MSP to the west coast with options to connect through various hubs to get out east.

I will have a few West Coast flights a year where AS/VX may be an option but purely on price and frequency they will probably lose out on my business unless they really ramp up coverage in the Midwest. Again, I can't be the only person whose flying habits are like this and AS is essentially losing out on free revenue from me flying other airlines. At the end of the day it is what it is and what that means is I will probably have to look at other options after April 30th 2017.
With the merger, Alaska is doubling down on the West Coast at the expense of Midwest/East Coast fliers that may rarely fly Alaska metal but nonetheless participated in the FF program given its relationship with American and Delta. I split 40/40/10 American/Delta/other, and Alaska is now less of a viable option for me. Alaska/Virgin does offer a nice route network to the West Coast from JFK/EWR, but the California transcon market is well covered by everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.