Search

Buying Fast Track in SEA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Amex Platinum
Buying Fast Track in SEA

Hello there,

I often use my Avios to fly out of SEA on AS. While reward availability is excellent, the main downside is that having no elite status with AS, I get to stand in line for what can be quite a long time. Is there a way to buy fast track access separately (from AS or SEA), and if so, where? TSA Pre is unfortunately not an option due to my passport. Thanks!
Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Yeah, it's called "redeem your Avios or use cash for an F ticket and get premium cabin access to the TSA lines."

Do you have a US driver's license? Clear would work for that. It's available at SEA.

TSA Pre√ is a "pay-to-play" program already so I'm not exactly sure that there's a big market for "Hi, I'm not a US citizen and can't use the typical programs, I redeem Avios but I don't have status, and I'd like to cut to the front of the line and will hand you a wad of cash for that" outside of the mentioned options (pay/redeem for F, use Clear).

PS: there are SOME passports that will let you get Pre√ via Global Entry arrangements.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...l-arrangements

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Aug 30, 2016 at 12:49 pm
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Yeah, it's called "redeem your Avios or use cash for an F ticket and get premium cabin access to the TSA lines."

I'm wondering from your post, eponymous_coward, that if you don't have TSA Precheck but do have a first class ticket you get to go through a different, faster security line at SEA?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Amex Platinum
Well yes, you do. Same if you have oneworld Emerald status from BA and are travelling on AA Y. However, AS isn't oneworld, so that benefit unfortunately doesn't apply if you're flying with them.

Of course, Avios rules mean that spending them on domestic First within the US really isn't a good idea, so that's out of the question.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:02 pm
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Alaska is currently offering its elite members some priority benefits on British Airways for a limited time. It's possible it will be extended and that there's some reciprocal action for British Airways elites on Alaska, but I'm only guessing.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/de...h-airways.aspx

Otherwise, eponymous_coward is correct, the only way to gain access to the premium security queue (what the UK would call "Fast Track") is to have elite status or book a first class ticket. That's essentially buying it with Avios. Not a good price, but it's an option.

CLEAR is an alternative. It costs money to enroll and is also expensive IMO. Same security process but you move to the front of the ID check. Any US ID is eligible, including a permanent resident card or state driver license.

https://www.clearme.com/how-to-get-c...s-to-get-clear

PreCheck is a completely separate security process, cheaper than CLEAR and also better IMO. (The lines aren't as short, but that's because almost no one uses CLEAR at Sea-Tac right now.) But PreCheck has more stringent requirements. UK citizens and a few others should be able to enroll.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by OWBA
TSA Pre is unfortunately not an option due to my passport. Thanks!
You probably know that, but just in case... do you have a green card? If so, you are eligible to apply for Global Ehtry and thus would get Pre Check if approved for GE.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by niele
I'm wondering from your post, eponymous_coward, that if you don't have TSA Precheck but do have a first class ticket you get to go through a different, faster security line at SEA?
Premium line for F/MVPG.

I notice it while I go to Precheck...
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:51 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Premium line for F/MVPG.

I notice it while I go to Precheck...
Also AA PLT/EXP and any PDX or GEG shuttle pax.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by niele
There are premium security lines that status and First Class passengers can use. They are usually, but not always, faster than the regular security lines. You still have to take off your coat and shoes and pull your laptop and liquids in the premium lines.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:13 pm

To both eponymous_coward and woodway, many thanks for the confirmation. I've thought about signing up for TSA Precheck but I'm never in that much of a hurry at the airport and it's fun people watching the folks in line.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL DM 1MM, UA 1MM
MVP

If having MVP status would accomplish your goal, you could trade for that status with a Gold 75K member.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.