Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you trade seats?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2016, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS (MVP), UA (silver), AA, DL, Hilton (Gold)
Would you trade seats?

Hello,

I am thinking about doing day of upgrade for my wife and me on AS #592 on Friday from PDX-SNA. However, there are only window seats open on the seat map at this time.

If you were asked to trade a window for an aisle for a couple to sit together, would you for this flight length?

P.S Weird that no F seats are left for sale, but 4 show open on seat map. Could the flight be oversold? Is there a definitive way to check inventory on AS?

Best,

Paul
Old Aug 2, 2016, 6:02 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It isn't a long flight, so as long as you ask nicely, I'm sure you can find someone who will trade.

There might be open seats on seat map because someone with a seat might not have chosen their seats.

I think you can check inventory on Expertflyer if you have a subscription.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 6:28 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by pfpdx
P.S Weird that no F seats are left for sale, but 4 show open on seat map. Could the flight be oversold? Is there a definitive way to check inventory on AS?
ExpertFlyer shows 0 F available. First class is sold out, but people just haven't picked seats yet.

Neil
Old Aug 2, 2016, 6:29 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Also, yes, I'd probably trade seats, but not if you'd already commandeered my seat before I got there. Far more polite to leave my seat available but then ask when I arrive if I'd be willing to swap.

Neil
Old Aug 2, 2016, 6:33 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by missamo80
yes, I'd probably trade seats, but not if you'd already commandeered my seat before I got there.
Bingo. If you're sitting in my seat when I get there, I ain't switching.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dayone
Bingo. If you're sitting in my seat when I get there, I ain't switching.
Ya that'd be a terrible move. Doesn't feel like a choice then. And creates stress on the person I'd be asking for a favor.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Weird that no F seats are left for sale, but 4 show open on seat map.
You're assuming everyone picks seats when they buy a ticket, but that's not the case. Some people are just in too much of hurry to go through that step, some people who are not buying online can't see the seat map and don't make a choice for that reason, some people who are buying through third parties don't even get to choose (at least not at the time of purchase), etc, etc.

Haven't you ever bought a ticket on a partner airline in another country and not been given seat assignments (nor a way to choose your seat) at purchase time? Well, Alaska is a partner to airlines all over the world, and how do you know that everyone booking an Alaska flight through every one of their partner airlines is able to reserve a specific seat at the moment of booking?

Thus seat maps are generally a poor indication of how many seats are left for sale.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I definitely would but only because I have had the experience of someone refusing to accommodate my wife and I. We were in F PHL-SAN on the last leg of our honeymoon and ever since then I've always tried to be mindful of other people in this situation.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by missamo80
Also, yes, I'd probably trade seats, but not if you'd already commandeered my seat before I got there. Far more polite to leave my seat available but then ask when I arrive if I'd be willing to swap.

Neil
Could not agree more.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 8:17 pm

Typically I pick an aisle because I get claustrophobic (actually I just don't like the feeling of being trapped and asking someone to move so I can get up to go to the bathroom). However, since it is a short flight and F has good amount of room already I would probably switch if you asked really nicely. Unless your window seat was in Row 1. I wouldn't switch to Row 1.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
You're assuming everyone picks seats when they buy a ticket, but that's not the case. Some people are just in too much of hurry to go through that step, some people who are not buying online can't see the seat map and don't make a choice for that reason, some people who are buying through third parties don't even get to choose (at least not at the time of purchase), etc, etc.

Haven't you ever bought a ticket on a partner airline in another country and not been given seat assignments (nor a way to choose your seat) at purchase time? Well, Alaska is a partner to airlines all over the world, and how do you know that everyone booking an Alaska flight through every one of their partner airlines is able to reserve a specific seat at the moment of booking?

Thus seat maps are generally a poor indication of how many seats are left for sale.
This is all true. In my experiences with watching loads the seat maps are generally a decent indicator. Especially less than a week out. Unusual in my experience for their to be 4 unclaimed seats.

Doesn't the airline normally auto assign if there are open seats in the fare class?

Could the reduction in bucket be due to a potential aircraft swap? Would a plane with only 3 rows of F fly that route?
Old Aug 2, 2016, 9:00 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
For a flight this length, I would probably switch if you didn't poach first and asked nicely. And I am a rabid aisle-seat flyer. But if people aren't willing to switch and you end up apart, is this a deal breaker for you? It's a ~2 hour flight. Is it that big of a deal if you can't sit beside each other? Because if it is, I wouldn't chance the upgrade as it is very possible neither party will switch. If it is that essential to sit together, then take the sure thing in Y.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Would a plane with only 3 rows of F fly that route?
yes, the 12F 73G is very common on SEA/PDX<-->SNA
Old Aug 2, 2016, 9:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I will generally switch seats, but I'd be lying if I said I don't find it annoying. My general thought is unless it's a family with small kids or someone helping an elderly or disabled person you can probably stand the independence for a couple of hours without inconveniencing other passengers.

Twice in my flying career I've been asked if I'd give up an aisle/window for a middle after I'd boarded. And twice the answer has been no...the last time was on the late night PDX-ANC flight a few months ago. Teenage love just had to wait until landing.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
[QUOTE=Single_Flyer;27006617]Typically I pick an aisle because I get claustrophobic (actually I just don't like the feeling of being trapped and asking someone to move so I can get up to go to the bathroom). However, since it is a short flight and F has good amount of room already I would probably switch if you asked really nicely. Unless your window seat was in Row 1. I wouldn't switch to Row 1.

Years ago I would always pick the window since I wanted to look out, but then I too became too claustrophobic at the window...mainly due to the bathroom issue, but unlike you I would pick a window in row 1 over the others since I feel it's easier to get out and go to the bathroom with nobody reclining into you even if the leg room is restricted. It's weird, I could sit in my aisle seat for hours and never get up to use the lav, but if I'm in a window and feel restricted, I suddenly will need to go....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.