Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska's family boarding is gone?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2016, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Alaska's family boarding is gone?

Took Alaska last week and noticed that there is no family boarding at all. The categories are:
First class
MVPs
Row 20-35
All rows
I recalled that Alaska used to have family boarding with small kids before MVPs and after first class but it seems no longer there. Abused too much so that they have to revoke it?
Old Jul 26, 2016, 4:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BA
I flew it this morning and they had the family boarding. It is first before first class and 75k's. They allow families and elderly and disabled folks at the same time, "those needing additional time for boarding".
Old Jul 26, 2016, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by John Wang
Took Alaska last week and noticed that there is no family boarding at all. The categories are:
First class
MVPs
Row 20-35
All rows
I recalled that Alaska used to have family boarding with small kids before MVPs and after first class but it seems no longer there. Abused too much so that they have to revoke it?
I don't think your sample size is large enough to support your conclusion. It's the most consistent aspect of the boarding process.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 5:24 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Heard the families with small children under 2 and those needing extra time preboarding announcement twice today, just like bta15 described. It's not on the gate monitor.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 5:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
They typically invite "uniformed military members" to board early, as well.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
They do it first before any other group. It's never been listed on the screens for the four big buckets of people.

Neil
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:49 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
...Abused too much so that they have to revoke it?
But you were right about the "abused too much" part - they just haven't revoked it.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:29 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
If I recall correctly, the screen at airports where AS can control the screens do show if they are boarding FC, MVP, and the later rows BUT they have NEVER shown the "pre-boards" which is the people needing extra time down the jetway (meaning in realty anyone NOT seated in an exit row that has the nerve to board early) families with children (sometimes it is children under two, other times it is with children that need extra time, in which case all 29 members of your family including aunts, uncles, and the best friend you just met while waiting in line can board now) Next they ask for all military in service and their families. THEN they announce FC, sometimes with 75K and MVPG and all partners or sometimes just FC (not just elites) , then then the next groups, which if they had already called out 75k and MVPG would be MPV (I would be upset though if I was an MVP and had to board after a Silver DL member that boarded as "partner elites") and then by rows for all the rest.

If you have ever boarded a DL flight in Colorado Springs, by the time they call for partner elites (after military and FC) there might be a total of 3 people left in the gate area due to the huge military presence there) I know, I was one of 3 left. I was in the last group, as a partner elite, no one on that flight was not elite, a partner elite, or military.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Abused too much so that they have to revoke it?
Enforce it or get rid of it. Enforce it or get rid of it. Enforce it or get rid of it.

How do I feel?

Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I flew six different AS flights this week, in every case they allowed "families needing extra time" to board before everyone else. As noted by others, that category includes just about anyone who feels like boarding.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Originally Posted by Bethelite
They typically invite "uniformed military members" to board early, as well.
First, all the flights I've taken on AS this year had a family boarding announcement.

Second, all of them invited military members even if not in uniform which I would think is an honor system since id's are not checked.

As an aside, on one recent AS flight, the flight attendant asked the passengers to give a round of applause for the military members on board. That's a first.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:16 pm

Programs: DL Gold; AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by honmani2
As an aside, on one recent AS flight, the flight attendant asked the passengers to give a round of applause for the military members on board. That's a first.
I would assume the FA maybe has family members who are/were veterans? Never heard that one before. Also maybe a step too far ... let's just get people organized and seated on the plane in an orderly fashion.

Though I've also had gate agents allow anyone wearing a Seahawks jersey (at SEA) to board early ... which is pretty much a disgrace to the process IMO.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:49 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by martonikaj
Though I've also had gate agents allow anyone wearing a Seahawks jersey (at SEA) to board early ... which is pretty much a disgrace to the process IMO.
Timbers apparel at PDX will often get boarded after MVP. I don't recall ever seeing it preboarded or at all down in the A gates.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 1:13 am

Programs: DL Gold; AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Timbers apparel at PDX will often get boarded after MVP. I don't recall ever seeing it preboarded or at all down in the A gates.
As a Sounders fan it makes me sick enough when I have to fly on the Timbers livery 737 ... now priority boarding?!?!
Old Jul 31, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k / AS Boardroom
The moral of the story is that there is no one boarding process. Furthermore 98.3% of gate attendants let anyone board at any time.

In fact if you have your boarding pass on your mobile device they don't even have the chance to question you until you've scanned. "First Class" = "All aboard!!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.