Search

SDC: Can't Get on UG list

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2016, 1:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
SDC: Can't Get on UG list

Has anyone else had this problem? I've switched flights to a SDC for tomorrow LAS-SEA, and when you go through the check in process, it doesn't offer you the ability to be added to the upgrade list when you do a SDC and can't seem to get on the list.

On a SEA-LAX flight F was supposedly full so I didn't bother asking the gate agent to add me to the list. Then she came onboard just before they closed the door and upgraded two MVPs, and I would have gotten the upgrade. That was frustrating.

Does anyone know how to get on the UG list when you do a SDC? I've tried calling but the agents will tell you you're on the list when you aren't, and they don't seem to know how to add you. Is there no way to add yourself without the airport agents help before hand with SDC?
Old Jun 28, 2016, 7:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Usually I go to manage reservation, and select "request complimentary upgrade". When this fails (rare) I call AS.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Honestly, I don't bother to try and get on the UG list when I SDC. Pretty much anytime you SDC you are giving up any upgrade you already had and the chance for another one on the new flight.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 8:34 am

Programs: AS MVP
I've gotten upgraded automatically when I SDCed since it was within the upgrade window. But, it did require a call to customer service in order to get me back on the UG list...
Old Jun 28, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
I generally do SDCs via the web or the mobile app, and that does seem to drop you back onto the upgrade list automatically. I've received a post-SDC upgrade as recently as last week.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: AS 75k, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, ect.
Happens routinely for me on a SDC. I usually try to sign in and selected the comp upgrade option online, when that fails I call the Gold Desk. Frustrating thing is the agents claim I'm on the list but I won't be able to see online or on the reader board. No matter how much I press they claim I'm on a list.

I basically give up the hope of an upgrade if I SDC.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AC SE
This happens frequently to me, but not always. I've started paying closer attention to figure out why (e.g. only after checking in to the first flight?).

As I fly west coast and check EF before an SDC, I usually get an SDC upgrade. In my experience, while the phone agents claim they see you on the UG list after making a few changes, only the airport list counts (viewable from the app or m.alaskaair.com).

OLCI "Complimentary Upgrade" when U is available still works regardless of whether you are on the waitlist, so if U opens just go through OLCI again. Of course this means it's first come first serve so specific status doesn't matter here.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
always happens to me regardless of how I SDC (phone, app, kiosk, or website).

i call or tweet, they say that they add me to the list, and i still don't show up on the gate display or mobile/online list and never get upgraded. incredibly frustrating. usually i only SDC on SEA-SMF and vv, so i just stick it out in the back. or PDX-SMF and vv, and we know how that is when it comes to upgrades...
Old Jun 28, 2016, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I'm about 75% on my SDC upgrades ^
Old Jun 28, 2016, 9:17 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Last two weeks I did two SDCs at 10pm the night before. In both cases I checked before to see if any F available and then when they switched me I immediately got it on the new flight(s). Also I always call in to the Gold desk to do the SDC and then double check the booking or the waitlist online for the very same reasons that appear in this thread.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL Gold; AS MVP Gold
Last time I did a SDC I just had to go back to the reservation online and click the "request complimentary upgrade" ... of course, I wasn't upgraded, and didn't expect to. I just wanted to get on the earlier flight
Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Yeah honestly I'm just happy being on the flight at the time I need, regardless of class. But after that incident of the agent coming aboard I always add myself just to be safe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.