Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to earning Alaska miles on AA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Gold
This will likely by a serious YMMV. On an existing reservation (on AA metal) I had made on the AS website I had been in Q for November. Out of curiosity I looked up same flight as if I were booking today on AS site. Showed as less money and booking into H (would earn at 100%). I called AS and they were able to not only switch me to H class, but also said they will refund the difference. I am impressed!

I most likely just got really lucky, but i am wondering if more of the AA metal flights booked on AS website will actually book into H or higher.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by fishywang
Anyone knows how to search for/book specified fare class on aa.com? All I see is just lowest and refundable, and there's a lot more between them.
You have to call. Of course that means a phone booking fee

Originally Posted by travelmonkey05
this is what it says on the blog post....

which seems to imply marketing carrier, versus operating carrier...
Ouch I missed that. I guess that screws anyone who needs to fly AA Overwter and has an AS segment.

Last edited by CDKing; Jun 27, 2016 at 2:09 pm
Old Jun 27, 2016, 2:22 pm

I'm so happy AS is still distance based. I really hope they're able to hold out and be a stand out from the industry with that! Also, any guesses on if redemption values will drop on AA after awhile since people will be earning less, or at least more frequent or aggressive promos? I have almost 200,000 miles just sitting over there (that I wish I could somehow turn into AS miles >.<) that I'll need to use up sooner or later...
Old Jun 27, 2016, 2:26 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by travelmonkey05
P, W, B fares are all missing from the chart... typo or actually not earning miles?
P and W have been added back into the chart

Per AA, B is no longer a valid booking code for AA fares.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by missydarlin
P and W have been added back into the chart

Per AA, B is no longer a valid booking code for AA fares.
Good. I was going to be a bit if AA F tickets booked into P earned goose eggs on AS...
Old Jun 27, 2016, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by fishywang
Anyone knows how to search for/book specified fare class on aa.com? All I see is just lowest and refundable, and there's a lot more between them.

Originally Posted by CDKing
You have to call. Of course that means a phone booking fee
Online booking specifying fare class is a feature of delta.com but not aa.com.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Online booking specifying fare class is a feature of delta.com but not aa.com.
...and United. would the need to book a specific fare class that is functionality not provided on the website be grounds for an exemption of the booking fee?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 3:13 pm

Would it be easier to book your original ticket first and then call in within 24 hours to do the up fare?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 3:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Ugh. Going through my past confirmations, I'm seeing a lot of 'O' fares.

Going back to Delta. If my earning is going to suck, I'm going to stick with the more reliable airline.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA1K
so if i book an AA flight with an AS codeshare, i'll get the full miles? sometimes i see the same price on the same flight marked differently. i wouldn't hate that.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 4:11 pm

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Will the discount 25% earning fares still earn 100% elite miles as they do on AA? Or do they only earn 25% miles towards MVP status?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by aza72
Will the discount 25% earning fares still earn 100% elite miles as they do on AA? Or do they only earn 25% miles towards MVP status?
EQM will be 25%. Thats what pisses me off more than the RDM. Especially considering w/ partners requires 90K and not 75K. I could deal better with that

Originally Posted by haddon90
so if i book an AA flight with an AS codeshare, i'll get the full miles? sometimes i see the same price on the same flight marked differently. i wouldn't hate that.
If its sold by AA its AA earnings even of AS metal. Goes the opposite of whats normal.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by rm456
Though thinking about it more, I'm not convinced that's actually better, given that AS elites don't get C+ for free, compared to MCE, plus C+ is still broken w.r.t. actually acruing any miles.
But now that C+ is an "upgrade" even for DL Diamonds, shouldn't it technically be covered by the complimentary upgrades on DL? Of course, the upgrade wouldn't clear until T-24 at earliest (i.e. you will likely get a middle seat), and it doesn't apply on international flights.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by CDKing
If its sold by AA its AA earnings even of AS metal. Goes the opposite of whats normal.
i meant sold by AS but on AA metal.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 5:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by haddon90
i meant sold by AS but on AA metal.
Looks like you will get 100% miles flown in that case. I'm guessing that EQMs would still count as a partner flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.