Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

FDA To Horizon: Time To Put The Chill On Chilled Drinks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FDA To Horizon: Time To Put The Chill On Chilled Drinks

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2016, 2:24 am

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by CDKing
Many carriers have small planes that do not have running water, so why does FDA pick on AS? Same with the silly plastic water bottle thing where FAA said no more but every other carrier was allowed to continue the process?

If you referred to the little water bottles AS handed out in F, I believe AS got rid of them several years ago was because AS tried to save money, and blamed FAA for this nickel and dime act. IMHO, they started handing those out again only because their main competitors are handing those out to their F pax.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
I asked upthread for an example of a carrier (that operates in the US) that also flies small planes w/o running water AND provides a beverage service. No one has provided an example as of yet. I'm not saying they don't exist: it's a genuine question on my part.
I have received beverage service on Silver Airlines little props in the past. I am not 100% certain they don't have lavatories but given their tiny size and short routes I think it is likely.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by fairviewroad
I asked upthread for an example of a carrier (that operates in the US) that also flies small planes w/o running water AND provides a beverage service. No one has provided an example as of yet.
PenAir. Including the flights operated as a wet lease between ANC and DUT for Alaska Airlines. (Maybe it should really be called a "Purell lease" instead of a wet lease)

Ravn would be another example.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by ptownca
The simple answer is to get rid of the Q400 fleet. Horrible, noisy uncomfortable planes.
And people talk about millennial entitlement...

Do that and your choices become:

1) No service at all, because nothing else is as cost effective enough
2) Big increase in price.

The Q400 is probably as quiet as a first generation jetliner inside, and a heck of a lot safer.

You don't have to fly on them, you're welcome to drive further, or pay more to go on another airline
Old Jun 15, 2016, 3:15 pm

While I'm not a HUGE fan of the Q400s, they aren't that bad, especially when I can get a beer or wine home from SEA to PSC at the end of a long day. It always surprises and impressed me that I got service on a flight less then an hour long. I'm surprised the E-Jets don't offer that! (And I hope they do when it's fully rolled out...)
Old Jun 16, 2016, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by CZBB
And people talk about millennial entitlement...

Do that and your choices become:

1) No service at all, because nothing else is as cost effective enough
2) Big increase in price.

The Q400 is probably as quiet as a first generation jetliner inside, and a heck of a lot safer.

You don't have to fly on them, you're welcome to drive further, or pay more to go on another airline
i believe the OP you replied to was speaking a bit tongue in cheek
Old Jun 20, 2016, 6:51 pm

So often the best comment about the Q400 is "free beer". The ride is so loud and uncomfortable an hour at the absolute max is all I can take. PDX - OAK deserves something better.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 12:05 am

Programs: AS 75K, DL PM
It's a "free flight" with a expensive beer
Old Jun 22, 2016, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by bofc
So often the best comment about the Q400 is "free beer". The ride is so loud and uncomfortable an hour at the absolute max is all I can take. PDX - OAK deserves something better.
So about 400 miles. I think you'll feel better once the E75s show up.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 7:00 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Has this killed service on very short flights?

EUG-PDX this morning, no water service and captain left the seatbelt sign for the entire flight. I didn't catch an announcement that it was cancelled due to expected weather/turbulence. Not that it really matters, and the flight crew was very pleasant. Just curious.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 7:12 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
I've spent a bit too much time on all these "smaller" planes you all speak of.

All of them have piping for running water in the lav, but as some mentioned the airline may have disabled them for cost savings. I believe that Horizon, however, had them delivered with no plumbing which is why they are set apart from the mix.

The Silver Airways Saabs also have a lav up front and there should be a tiny sink in there (or in the back).
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA, HA, DL
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
All of them have piping .....

I don't recall ever using the lav on a QX Q400.
Do they have a vacuum waste system for the toilet?
If so, there is water supplied to the lavatory.

Note: Aircraft don't have pipes, they have tubing and hoses.
We leave the pipes on the ground for houses and hippies
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Has this killed service on very short flights?

EUG-PDX this morning, no water service and captain left the seatbelt sign for the entire flight. I didn't catch an announcement that it was cancelled due to expected weather/turbulence. Not that it really matters, and the flight crew was very pleasant. Just curious.
I think beverage service on these (and other short flights like PDX-RDM) went away when the Q200s went away years ago. These flights would probably be the last to get E175 service, but when they do, beverage service will probably return, but only in F.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I think beverage service on these (and other short flights like PDX-RDM) went away when the Q200s went away years ago. These flights would probably be the last to get E175 service, but when they do, beverage service will probably return, but only in F.
Baring weather/turbulence, this route was offering water only service within the last couple of months but not today and I haven't flown it since the FDA crackdown. Like I said, it's curiosity more than anything if something had changed.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Uhh, QX isn't replacing the entire Q400 fleet. I could see PDX-EUG on Embraers maybe as positioning flights for EUG-SJC or similar routes, but I can't imagine a full service switch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.