Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2016, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by dayone
Which one(s)? When?
and, how long did it take to get thru?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 6:45 pm

Flew out of SEA earlier this month. Precheck line, not sure which checkpoint (3?), was about 30 people deep but moved quickly. General screening lines were STUFFED to the gills and the security screening area was FROZEN. Not sure if it was a staff change or what but seriously, the screening area was deserted but there were hundreds of pax waiting to go through, even the guys scanning the IDs were looking around. Anyone have any idea what was going on?

Made me very happy to have pre. Even if I don't travel much its still nice not to have to deal with the crazy scenarios I observed.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by martonikaj
That's weird. I've taken dozens of flights in the last year after 1:30 p.m. at Checkpoint 5. Way after. Both of my flights just last month that were after 1:30 p.m. I went through Checkpoint 5 ... In fact, I don't think I've ever seen 5 closed before.

Meanwhile, Checkpoint 4 regularly closes down at seemingly-random times where there isn't enough traffic to fill it. Seems like it's blocked out certain hours of the day ... not an all-day checkpoint.
I do wonder if they have 4 and 5 swapped? I'm usually here in the mornings, but as an evening data point, as of twenty minutes ago:
#3 - open including PreCheck
#4 - closed
#5 - open, but no PreCheck

All lines were short. I estimate regular screening would've been under 10 minutes.

5 definitely closes later in the evening, by 9 or 10; I've walked past it many a time coming in from those "parking out-of-the-way overnight" arrivals at the far end of D.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 10:18 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
When SEA is busy, I always go to checkpoint 3 now even if my flight departs out of N, it just goes so much faster through 3 than 5 in my experiences. I have seen the line for checkpoint 5 extend into the line for checkpoint 4, and I have seen the line for checkpoint 3 extend well beyond Southwest ticket agents.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 5:17 am

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kieron
5 won't be an option. According to the Port of Seattle, these are the general checkpoint hours of operation:

#1 - Fri., Sat., & Sun, 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. (for cruise passengers only)
#2 - 4:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
#3 - 24 hours
#4 - 4:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
#5 - 4:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.

No references I've ever found for Pre-specific hours, but for an 8:30p flight, I'd head straight for 3 just in case they start winding down at 4 a little early.
Originally Posted by Kieron
I do wonder if they have 4 and 5 swapped?
I bet that's the case. I was through about 2:30 yesterday and 4 was closed.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 8:03 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Two weeks ago, I went thru on a Thursday afternoon. Lines were long and I ended up at Checkpoint 2 as the best option. The General Screening line was long but only a few in the Premium line.

The problem was with the baggage screening, as suggested by that article. The guy working the machine was new and was clearly NOT "getting it". Every bag was a 2+ minute ordeal of staring at the screen and getting help from someone (or two people) to interpret it. Eventually the supervisor came over to relieve him. I'd guess it was 5 passengers thru in 20 minutes on that line.

Then last week, same scenario, evening flight, Checkpoint 2 was clearly shortest - no one in the Premium line at all. But that SAME GUY was working the baggage x-ray. He was a bit faster this time, averaging a minute or two per bag, but that was clearly what was slowing down the line.

I've been booking late evening flights to add an extra hour or two of buffer time to deal with this because of how bad it could get.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
I heeded everyone's advice and was here before 7. Got through checkpoint 5 in 5 minutes.

BTW, the signage is poor. There's a "General Screening" sign along the wall, next to the ATM/restrooms, which actually leads you to the crew entrance. TSA agent yelled at me when I went through the rope to enter back into the regular lane, and refused to understand how they have an invalid sign. I even pointed out other travelers who were also over there a minute later!

Once I got to the belt, they were saying that we were in "pre-check"... which is strange, as there was no signage for pre-check, nor did I even have it on my BP. I got to keep my shoes on and leave my laptop in my bag, but it seems odd... I would have expected them to cancel all pre-checks today of all days, not be giving it to everyone!
Old Mar 22, 2016, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
This weekend should be busy!

It looks like every flight from SEA-PDX after 9am this weekend is sold out....really? Should make for a busy airport in SEA!
Old Mar 22, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Two weeks ago, I went thru on a Thursday afternoon. Lines were long and I ended up at Checkpoint 2 as the best option. The General Screening line was long but only a few in the Premium line.

The problem was with the baggage screening, as suggested by that article. The guy working the machine was new and was clearly NOT "getting it". Every bag was a 2+ minute ordeal of staring at the screen and getting help from someone (or two people) to interpret it. Eventually the supervisor came over to relieve him. I'd guess it was 5 passengers thru in 20 minutes on that line...
Thanks for the heads-up on The Guy - I'll keep an eye out. Wish somebody could post a picture...
Old Mar 22, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL Gold; AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
I heeded everyone's advice and was here before 7. Got through checkpoint 5 in 5 minutes.

BTW, the signage is poor. There's a "General Screening" sign along the wall, next to the ATM/restrooms, which actually leads you to the crew entrance. TSA agent yelled at me when I went through the rope to enter back into the regular lane, and refused to understand how they have an invalid sign. I even pointed out other travelers who were also over there a minute later!

Once I got to the belt, they were saying that we were in "pre-check"... which is strange, as there was no signage for pre-check, nor did I even have it on my BP. I got to keep my shoes on and leave my laptop in my bag, but it seems odd... I would have expected them to cancel all pre-checks today of all days, not be giving it to everyone!
Yeah, signage at Checkpoint 5 is pretty weird and people can get confused easily — not really your fault there. Especially if you're coming in from the AS ticket counter, because you're coming in from the side of the Checkpoint, so you don't see the other small signs head-on.

I've also experienced the oddity of TSA pushing non-PreCheck people over into the PreCheck area after the ID check podium. If you're in the far left lane of the standard security line, they'll often funnel you to the left after the podium to where the PreCheck passengers go.

It's quite annoying to those of us who started in the PreCheck lane because the standard screening pax don't know what to do here, and are sitting there expecting to take everything off, take liquids out and are looking for bins to put their things in. Perhaps the TSA should just keep things flowing properly in the correct lines for the simplicity of all pax?
Old Mar 22, 2016, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Sunday night they were putting what seemed to be almost every other Pre Check person through a scatter machine "at random"? Luckily, I was okay, and the P C line moved fast; regular lines looked on the brutal side.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Sunday night they were putting what seemed to be almost every other Pre Check person through a scatter machine "at random"? Luckily, I was okay, and the P C line moved fast; regular lines looked on the brutal side.
get used to it, lately I'm being selected for the nudiscope "at random" about 60% of the time. anymore the only benefit from PRE i can count on is not taking stuff out of my bag and getting to the front of the line faster . i expect with recent activities in BRU, it's going to get worse before it gets better. should make for an awesome summer travel season.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:37 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Quote:

Originally Posted by dayone

Which one(s)? When?

and, how long did it take to get thru?
Wish I knew which one, after security it spit me out right near Anthony's restaurant. It took about 20-30 minutes to get through pre-check.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 1:40 am

Programs: HH Silver
Seems most people are having better luck with checkpoint 5 than I have. I have missed flights twice because of them randomly closing this checkpoint while people are in line. The first time I was almost to the TSA agent, when suddenly they just closed all the doors and told us they would not reopen for 20 minutes.

I don't even look at this checkpoint anymore, I automatically go to #3. With #5 you also cannot see how many people are crammed into the screening area, because of that loooong hallway on the right. It might look like the line is short, but that is a long, slow moving line along the right wall.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 6:06 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, BA Executive Blue, IHG Platinum Elite,Kimpton.
Just went through checkpoint 5. It was closed when we arrived, TSA were setting up, so had about a 5 minute wait until they opened up, but then through in about 5 minutes.

Line at Starbucks C gate is crazy though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.