Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Plan Miles for Fiji Airways

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Mileage Plan Miles for Fiji Airways

Have you had any luck using your AS miles to fly on Fiji Airways? Have you been able to book a stopover in Nadi before continuing on to another destination? My wife and I are considering taking them to Australia/New Zealand, but J class award space seems scattered at best. Thanks for your help!
Old Feb 15, 2016, 3:52 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 100K
Originally Posted by ffman999
Have you had any luck using your AS miles to fly on Fiji Airways? Have you been able to book a stopover in Nadi before continuing on to another destination? My wife and I are considering taking them to Australia/New Zealand, but J class award space seems scattered at best. Thanks for your help!
Yes, I've been able to do both without problem. Lovely experience! Fiji Airways seems to have improved markedly in recent years, though I still hear reports of some inexplicably delayed flights.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
We just did this in November, booked 2 seats in J on Fiji Airways, flew from LAX-Nadi, stayed there for 3 nights, then onward to Auckland. I booked early, right at the 331 day mark, I called Alaska and booked the LAX-Nadi leg first, then a couple days later I called and had Nadi converted to a stopover and added Auckland. A few times a week FJ has flights from Nadi to Auckland using their A330 (vs 737) so we were able to catch that leg in the nicer J seats. The Alaska reps were great to work with both times, it only took a few minutes and it was really painless. I had a harder time calling Fiji Airways and getting actual seat assignments than I did booking the tickets.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
My mom and stepdad are flying Fiji next month and although they booked a very long time ago, J awards seem to be few and far between. They'd gladly upgrade to J if space opened up at the last minute like it does on many CX flights, but it appears that's not the way Fiji operates so it's likely they'll end up in Y. Speaking of Y....good luck getting seat assignments...despite what the website says, you can't just plug in your Fiji Airways confirmation # and get a seat assignment. Calling months in-advance results in getting a seat assignment but only if you pay an extra fee which she didn't want to do. It's a pretty good deal to fly Fiji to Australia, especially if you get the free stopover in Nadi, but it sounds like this airline is enough of a hassle that I'd just look for premium economy on Qantas and skip the Fiji stopover.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
the only time i considered booking FJ was OAK-HNL-CXI but found out it was two awards (cannot book it as a thru fare on one award for some dumb reason) so i scrapped the idea of a trip until the OAK-HNL goes on a good $$ sale at the time of year that i want to go, then i'll use miles for HNL-CXI which is usually mucho dinero $$$$$$$$$$$

Y awards are super easy on that segment, J not so much.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 2:08 pm

Bumping this thread because, in searching today for my own Honeymoon plans in November, I noticed August 2016 is wide open with Fiji biz availability. No idea why, but there are over 10 days with business space available for two passengers.

Been browsing for weeks now and the most I see is 3 or 4 days scattered throughout the year. Is it normal for a month to suddenly have wide open availability?

Edit: tested out a few days and availability to continue on to OZ in business class is just as wide open, even with no stopover in Fiji

Last edited by TravelingFitzMe; Mar 7, 2016 at 2:26 pm
Old Mar 8, 2016, 1:39 am
Suspended

Be careful, there's a lot of mixed itineraries that get thrown in there. You can't filter them because AS's IT folks have their heads firmly planted where the sun doesn't shine.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 1:18 am

Programs: QF,US,ANA
I am looking at LAX-NAN-BNE in Feb 2017 , I can see award space on the Qantas FF website in C for 2 people , but I can only find Y available on the Alaska search engine.

Do Alaska have limited access to FJ award flights ?
Old Mar 23, 2016, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by ianp
I am looking at LAX-NAN-BNE in Feb 2017 , I can see award space on the Qantas FF website in C for 2 people , but I can only find Y available on the Alaska search engine.

Do Alaska have limited access to FJ award flights ?
it might be worth a call, IIRC QF and AS should have equivalent access to FJ award space
Old Jul 25, 2016, 4:49 pm

More or less on topic ... does FJ V class earn miles on AS? I ask because when booking on the FJ website, it claims I will earn AS miles, but V is not listed as a mileage-earning fare on AS. Does anyone have experience with this?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 4:51 pm

My mistake! I meant N.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:41 pm

Programs: MP MVP Gold; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Silver;
Originally Posted by LGACIC
My mistake! I meant N.
If it isn't on the table you wouldn't be able to earn miles. You can double check with customer service to see if the web info is out of date just in case but I wouldn't hold your breath.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:22 am

Has anyone booked Auckland to Fiji to LAX? It seems like everything I'm finding has the Fiji stop on the way to NZ or Aust but not on the way back? Is it because the AS has to originate in the US?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: AS: MVPG, Hyatt: P, SPG: G, Marriott: G, IHG: P
Originally Posted by ifish110
Is it because the AS has to originate in the US?
No. It's more likely FJ just doesn't have the award availability on your way home.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ifish110
Has anyone booked Auckland to Fiji to LAX? It seems like everything I'm finding has the Fiji stop on the way to NZ or Aust but not on the way back? Is it because the AS has to originate in the US?
You can test that by offering the AS agent a few dates where ExpertFlyer shows award availability AKL-NAN-LAX. May 29 in coach is one such date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.