Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STL to LAX?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
I doubt it---American currently runs nonstop service.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, Hyatt Globalist
I don't know if anyone has noticed that AS has added a second frequency to SEA-STL. Last week, the check-in agent at STL told me that another daily flight to STL was forthcoming, but I didn't believe her because she didn't seem to know what the pairing would be. In turns out that she is right: AS 712 departing SEA at 6:05 pm, arriving in STL at 11:54 pm, effective 3/28; AS 711 departs STL at 7:10 am and arrives in SEA at 9:35 am, effective 3/29. Aircraft is a 739.

I don't think that a second frequency on this route has any bearing on the question I first asked and may not be an indication of whether AS plans to grow more of a presence in STL. This second frequency may be more about SEA rather than STL...or maybe not.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 5:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
Southwest can't make it year round with connecting traffic because the arrival times into STL aren't very conducive to connections. I looked at SANLGA/BOS/MCO/RDU/PHL on a peak day in the summer and none of these city pairs connected thru STL. They either missed midday flts or had 3-4+ hour gaps between flts.
If there was sufficient and profitable traffic and yields - and it made sense to make it work with connections - then Southwest would do it.

I disagree on the lack of local traffic though and there are a couple of reasons why. If WN is looking to capture business traffic, it doesn't do a lot of good to operate a flight between these markets only during summer vacation travel periods. For that matter people in STL would probably want to go to SAN during the winter and if WN is sporadic with when they operate nonstops, there isn't much incentive to think to fly on WN in the first place.
San Diego is a tourist destination, not a business destination. Traffic is up in the summer because this is when families travel - and that's who is flying this route. If there sufficient travel and sufficient yields they would operate more frequencies year around.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
If there was sufficient and profitable traffic and yields - and it made sense to make it work with connections - then Southwest would do it..San Diego is a tourist destination, not a business destination. Traffic is up in the summer because this is when families travel - and that's who is flying this route. If there sufficient travel and sufficient yields they would operate more frequencies year around
Again with connections it really has to do with how they have the flight scheduled. Right now its a suboptimal schedule that's always going to send traffic via MDW or BNA. You could make the argument these days that STL has token O&D markets but the business travel component is not where it used to be in the past 5 years (which even then wasn't as strong as say 10+ years).

The notion that SAN is merely tourist traffic is shortsighted though and any native San Diegan (meaning myself, although I reside in STL) will tell you otherwise. Besides the huge Navy/military/defense presence, there is a lot of emerging biotech/research/technology and sure tourism is a large contributor to the economy but there is sufficient business travel on its own.

Would STLSAN be insanely profitable? No. But with a good traffic mix, and consistent year-round service with better timings I think it could be successful.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
The notion that SAN is merely tourist traffic is shortsighted though and any native San Diegan (meaning myself, although I reside in STL) will tell you otherwise. Besides the huge Navy/military/defense presence, there is a lot of emerging biotech/research/technology and sure tourism is a large contributor to the economy but there is sufficient business travel on its own.

Would STLSAN be insanely profitable? No. But with a good traffic mix, and consistent year-round service with better timings I think it could be successful.
Um, well I grew up in San Diego myself....and well, its a place I still visit with friends and family, but face it, its not a business destination. If there was money to be made I am sure the airlines would be all over it.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:50 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Right now its a suboptimal schedule that's always going to send traffic via MDW or BNA.
Or optimally through DEN, PHX and HOU.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
A million years ago when I was a young business traveler, STL was a TWA hub.

I flew non stop from SAN and or LAX quite a bit.

Yes I'm old enough to remember TWA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.