Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thanks Alaska! I guess?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Thanks Alaska! I guess?

So I was MVP 75K last year, nothing this year, since I've been banking all my miles on AA. Alaska miles themselves are great, but the status itself is below AA in my ranks. So I booked a flight before year end last year for a flight soon and I've just found out that I was upgraded to F. Now I kind of feel bad for not getting AS status this year even though I would've at least gotten gold if I had banked a majority of my flying. Kind of but not really.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hiima
So I was MVP 75K last year, nothing this year, since I've been banking all my miles on AA. Alaska miles themselves are great, but the status itself is below AA in my ranks. So I booked a flight before year end last year for a flight soon and I've just found out that I was upgraded to F. Now I kind of feel bad for not getting AS status this year even though I would've at least gotten gold if I had banked a majority of my flying. Kind of but not really.
Not sure what happened here?? Like many others who drop in status, you booked a flight for 2016 while you were still 75K so you could be on the waitlist for F and you're surprised that you got upgraded to F? Isn't that why you booked the flight before 2016 in the first place?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
OP obtained 75K status from a status match (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24530667-post371.html) and credited all of the AS miles flown for the year of the match to AA.

It's not surprising that there's unfamiliarity with how the program works.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dgreen12
OP obtained 75K status from a status match (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24530667-post371.html) and credited all of the AS miles flown for the year of the match to AA.

Ok, that makes sense....I thought this feature had been chatted about quite a bit, but it does sound like the OP is new to the program. With all the status downgrades in 2016, maybe those upgrade % will be ticking up a bit...at least til the 4th row of seats is removed from F later this year
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgi...my-travel.html

Sounds like AA is the best place for the OP, who also matched to VX.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Now I kind of feel bad for not getting AS status this year even though I would've at least gotten gold if I had banked a majority of my flying. Kind of but not really.
I don't feel bad. I kept my AS status (not originally earned through status matching), so the less competition for upgrades the better...
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgi...my-travel.html

Sounds like AA is the best place for the OP, who also matched to VX.
Yup, AA is the only place for me at the moment. I have domestic and international itineraries, which AA can fulfill for now anyway. I'll probably stick with banking in then until the dollar RDM changes and if they implement a EQD or something. Also I love flying CX.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Not sure what happened here?? Like many others who drop in status, you booked a flight for 2016 while you were still 75K so you could be on the waitlist for F and you're surprised that you got upgraded to F? Isn't that why you booked the flight before 2016 in the first place?
I booked a flight in 2015 because I kind of had to, my flight is in a couple of days, not gonna book on 2016. I'm just surprised that the waitlist position wasn't scrapped once I lost my status.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I booked a flight in 2015 because I kind of had to, my flight is in a couple of days, not gonna book on 2016. I'm just surprised that the waitlist position wasn't scrapped once I lost my status.
Not really, that's how it works in AS's ancient implementation of SABRE.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Not really, that's how it works in AS's ancient implementation of SABRE.
Yep, I have a flight booked for May which still shows my previous MVPG status.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Actually I banked all my Alaska flights onto Alaska since I got upgrades 95% of the time, which got me to about halfway to MVP. It's my AA flights and BA flights that were banked into AA.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:48 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Note that if you try to credit this flight to AA as well, AS will kick you back to Y. You're going to need to credit to AS to keep the upgrade.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:21 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Yup, AA is the only place for me at the moment. I have domestic and international itineraries, which AA can fulfill for now anyway. I'll probably stick with banking in then until the dollar RDM changes and if they implement a EQD or something. Also I love flying CX.
Goodbye
Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by BOB W
Goodbye
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Erasmus
Note that if you try to credit this flight to AA as well, AS will kick you back to Y. You're going to need to credit to AS to keep the upgrade.
Ya, I plan on keeping my AS number on my PNR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.