Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award: Syd lax sjc

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2015, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Award: Syd lax sjc

I have a party of four on this flight early next yr paying 37.5k each.

SYD to LAX via Qantas metal
LAX to SJC (via Arizona) via Alaska metal and takes nearly 12hrs!!!

Today I got told that if I were to change to AA metal award, then I have to pay $150 x 4 passenger = $600 - is this correct?

If I were to not pay anything extra, should I be flying via Arizona (unless the flight was changed by 2hrs or the route was changed)?

Any tips?
Otherwise, I am considering buying 4 south west tickets or even Delta if they have special prices? I have Chase's UR and MR (AMEX) points.

Update:
- Booked through AAdvantage on AA.com
- Not Arizona but Portland via Alaska
LAX PDX SJC

Last edited by sciconf; Dec 23, 2015 at 11:26 am
Old Dec 22, 2015, 11:55 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 75K, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
Is the $150 change fees or due to different taxes and surcharges for flying AA?
If you are an MVP Gold or above, the change fees should be waived.

If you have Amex MR points, you can transfer them to BA Avios and book the LAX-SJC(or SFO) on AA metal for 4500 points + $5.60 each. You need to hurry since the rate goes up to 7500 points on Feb 6th.
Delta also seems to have cheap fares for that segment (~$68 when I wrote this): https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...;s=0;q=lax-sfo
I think your best bet is to book AA using Avios or DL/WN with cash and skip the LAX-SJC AS leg.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by sciconf

Today I got told that if I were to change to AA metal award, then I have to pay $150 x 4 passenger = $600 - is this correct?

If I were to not pay anything extra, should I be flying via Arizona (unless the flight was changed by 2hrs or the route was changed)?

Any tips?
Otherwise, I am considering buying 4 south west tickets or even Delta if they have special prices? I have Chase's UR and MR (AMEX) points.
It sounds like you booked through AAdvantage, and not Alaska. You may be posting this in the wrong forum. AAdvantage charges 37.5K/ticket for one-way economy awards from the South Pacific to the US. Alaska Mileage Plan charges 42.5K/ticket for one-way economy awards on Qantas from Australia/NZ to the US.

AS charges change fees of $125/ticket within 60 days of departure, and you can't mix carriers in one direction aside from Alaska + a partner. You wouldn't be flying Alaska if you did LAX-PHX-SJC - that would be on American metal.

American (AAdvantage) charges a $150 change fee per ticket if you change the award type. Going from a oneworld/partner award to an American Airlines only award type would incur a change fee, unfortunately.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by u2g0d
Is the $150 change fees or due to different taxes and surcharges for flying AA?
If you are an MVP Gold or above, the change fees should be waived.

If you have Amex MR points, you can transfer them to BA Avios and book the LAX-SJC(or SFO) on AA metal for 4500 points + $5.60 each. You need to hurry since the rate goes up to 7500 points on Feb 6th.
Delta also seems to have cheap fares for that segment (~$68 when I wrote this): https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...;s=0;q=lax-sfo
I think your best bet is to book AA using Avios or DL/WN with cash and skip the LAX-SJC AS leg.
$150 is appears to be for the change in metal, route.

BA is asking 18k avios! per person.

Last edited by sciconf; Dec 23, 2015 at 12:40 am
Old Dec 23, 2015, 1:25 am

$150 is appears to be for the change in metal, route.

BA is asking 18k avios! per person.
BA is asking 18K Avios for first class, not economy, given there's likely no saver economy award space LAX-SJC.

And just for clarification for the other readers, you did book these through AAdvantage, yes? Misinformation about Alaska's program rules causes confusion.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
Yes, clarification would be appreciated as this does not to be an AS award, or the change fee would be $125.

If you were to skip the scheduled travel to LAX to SJC via Arizona and book something else separately from the award, won't this affect your return flight? As in cancel it? Or is this a one-way award?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum

How are you traveling LAX-Arizona-SJC on Alaska metal?!

Originally Posted by enzian
If you were to skip the scheduled travel to LAX to SJC via Arizona and book something else separately from the award, won't this affect your return flight? As in cancel it? Or is this a one-way award?
OP stated they paid 37.5k miles per award, which would be a 1-way award.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Huh? Alaska does not fly LAX-PHX/TUS or PHX/TUS-SJC.

(Which airport in Arizona? It's a rather large state. Kind of like saying "I'm flying to Queensland". Brisbane? Gold Coast?)

The only airline you could get an award involving QF with that routing is American Airlines (AA): LAX-PHX-SJC. AA does fly those routes. It is not possible to book that routing using Alaska (AS) miles; AS only allows one partner on an AS award, so you cannot group a QF flight with an AA flight on a single award.

Are you quite certain you aren't flying LAX-SEA/PDX-SJC on AS (which could possibly have a very long stopover+backtracking of ~12 hours), or that perhaps you booked using AA miles?

Also, AA does fly LAX-SJC, but it's possible 4Y seats might not be available on the same flight...

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Dec 23, 2015 at 10:29 am
Old Dec 23, 2015, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by United757
And just for clarification for the other readers, you did book these through AAdvantage, yes? Misinformation about Alaska's program rules causes confusion.
sciconf party (4 off) is possibly using AA miles. But is not 100% clear
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-my-award.html
post 610 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post25345664
Post 15 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...l#post25550703 "This is AA award - taking Qantas from HNL to SYD and to LAX "

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 23, 2015 at 11:03 am
Old Dec 23, 2015, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by United757
Yes booked through AAdvantage on AA.com
Old Dec 23, 2015, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Huh? Alaska does not fly LAX-PHX/TUS or PHX/TUS-SJC.

My bad not Arizona but Portland via Alaska
LAX PDX SJC

What is intriguing me is that 37.5k is for SYD to SJC via LAX and PDX
So if I were to change from LAX to SJC, am I going to get any miles back?

So I arrive around 6am in LAX - then arrive at SJC at about 6pm!

I waited since Apr since AA told me that award seats will be released - that worked for the forward journey. But the return journey what are possible options to fly from LAX to SJC? Because $150 change fee means that I would get onto SouthWest. Delta apparently had a reduced award but it is no longer - BA does not have any economy seats either.

Last edited by sciconf; Dec 23, 2015 at 12:00 pm
Old Dec 23, 2015, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
My bad not Arizona but Portland via Alaska
LAX PDX SJC

What is intriguing me is that 37.5k is for SYD to SJC via LAX and PDX
So if I were to change from LAX to SJC, am I going to get any miles back?

So I arrive around 6am in LAX - then arrive at SJC at about 6pm!

I waited since Apr since AA told me that award seats will be released - that worked for the forward journey. But the return journey what are possible options to fly from LAX to SJC? Because $150 change fee means that I would get onto SouthWest. Delta apparently had a reduced award but it is no longer - BA does not have any economy seats either.
Nope. And this is an AA award. I'll alert the moderators appropriately to put this in the correct forum.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
This should be asked in the American Airlines forum since it doesn't have anything to do with Alaska except for a few flights being flown on them.

I *think* American's rules allow free changes as long as the origin and destination stay the same if booked on all OneWorld carriers. The problem is that since there are Alaska flights, I don't think the free changes apply. So you would need to pay the change fee.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alphaeagle

I *think* American's rules allow free changes as long as the origin and destination stay the same if booked on all OneWorld carriers. The problem is that since there are Alaska flights, I don't think the free changes apply. So you would need to pay the change fee.
So what is a practical solution so that I can reach SJC quicker?

How long do I need to clear custom at LAX and then to catch the next flight? I am arriving at 6am at LAX - when can I book for the next flight out of LAX to SJC?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Skip your domestic flights and get a paid ticket between LAX-SJC on DL or WN if you don't like what you see with availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.